Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
A note to all going, I was there last weekend and the weather and trails were great. However, the mosquitos were miserable. They came in late afternoon and again early morning, bad enough that we had to eat dinner and breakfast in our tent. Since we weren't expecting them, we didn't bring any spray or nets.

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

A note to all going, I was there last weekend and the weather and trails were great. However, the mosquitos were miserable. They came in late afternoon and again early morning, bad enough that we had to eat dinner and breakfast in our tent. Since we weren't expecting them, we didn't bring any spray or nets.
Thank you for the heads up!!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Hmm do those candles work? Haha gonna get me a sweet mosquitoe net hat.

Also fire....wood or propane? I got a portable propane fire pit if we can't do wood. And do we need a fire permit

Reactions: Michael

Narbob

US West Region Director
Staff member
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

Culver City California
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Brann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ6W0A
Hmm do those candles work? Haha gonna get me a sweet mosquitoe net hat.

Also fire....wood or propane? I got a portable propane fire pit if we can't do wood. And do we need a fire permit
It's dispersed camping which means anywhere off the main road is okay. There are a lot of good flat spots to set up and most have rock fire rings, wood burning is okay. I usually take my washing machine/ fire pit.
As far as the permit, since it's BLM land I would assume a permit is required. They're easy to obtain. Just go to the BLM site, fill in the blanks, answer some easy questions and print your permit. Although the permit doesn't show an exp. , I believe they are good for the year. I hope I didn't ramble too much.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
It's dispersed camping which means anywhere off the main road is okay. There are a lot of good flat spots to set up and most have rock fire rings, wood burning is okay. I usually take my washing machine/ fire pit.
As far as the permit, since it's BLM land I would assume a permit is required. They're easy to obtain. Just go to the BLM site, fill in the blanks, answer some easy questions and print your permit. Although the permit doesn't show an exp. , I believe they are good for the year. I hope I didn't ramble too much.
Thank you for the info! Perfect.

Reactions: stoney126

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

The Overland checklist popped up in my FB feed. Man, you guys are gonna kick me off the website when you see me show up with a bunch of bread, some cheese, and a campfire toaster.

Oh, and dog kibble. If he's lucky.
yeah ill be right there with you. just getting into overlanding so i dont really have much. we picked up a pop-up camper a few years ago so ive got to track down my actual camping equipment. should be interesting lol

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
For those coming from West/Bay Area, what's the consensus on route? It looks like all roads through the Sierra's close for the winter... Bakersfield?

edit: 178 through Lake Isabella would be a nice drive...

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

For those coming from West/Bay Area, what's the consensus on route? It looks like all roads through the Sierra's close for the winter... Bakersfield?

edit: 178 through Lake Isabella would be a nice drive...
Stoney and i are planning on running down 5 to try and meet up with Maktruk in Gilroy. Were coming out of Napa.

Last edited:

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

yeah ill be right there with you. just getting into overlanding so i dont really have much. we picked up a pop-up camper a few years ago so ive got to track down my actual camping equipment. should be interesting lol
Craigslist! Tons of stuff .

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

We got times yet? Gonna be up early :grimacing:
Im down to hit the road at 4am..... Figured i could text you when im heading through st helena and we could meet up somewhere. I told Maktruk that we would be in Gilroy sometime between 6-7am.

Reactions: stoney126