Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I'm not familiar at all with the area. We meeting at camp? And I'm rolling solo this time. May just sleep in the back of the jeep

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I'm shooting for the intersection of 395 & 136 and hope you guys see the OB badge on my bumper. Trailhead has to be around there somewhere I'm sure you'll pass me

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

I'm 95 percent in. When is everyone heading there? It's a seven hour drive so I'm thinkING of leaving early am to beat rush hour like 4 ish
I'm not familiar at all with the area. We meeting at camp? And I'm rolling solo this time. May just sleep in the back of the jeep
just got the time off approved, you really thinking about leaving that early?

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Looks like the trailhead is in Keeler

Nevermind the shading the tiles stalled when loading.

Reactions: WCO_Ryan

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Someone did say there's a cool museum in Lone Pine.

I won't be there til after dark though. Wouldn't mind GPS coordinates of the planned campsite.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Ya, it's still kind of in the air and it's a 7 hour drive. If meet ups are planned for the drive down I'll change my time. But if I leave to late I'll be stuck in the morning commute .

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Hm. Is Cerro Gordo BLM land?

Do believe it is, as my Inyo NF maps don't cover it. Just called BLM and ordered Benton Range, Bishop, and Bridgeport BLM ownership maps.

Anything that doesn't cover I'll download. I just hate relying on that in the field.

Last edited:

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Looks like we have a convoy of 5 so far:

@admin: I nominate him as trail leader. Seconds?

Myself
Northern_XS
S.L.O_X
Stoney126

Any others?

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

I must also admit to being nervous about trail conditions after our monster(ish) rains. As dry as the area was the first rains must have washed a lot of trail out, and subsequent (current!) rain is likely creating it's own trail as we speak...

WCO_Ryan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Napa ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Hackett
Member #

Im basically stock so if i can make it anyone can. I could follow up Admin.

Last edited:

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

Let's get the Spring Season kicked off! This is the first ever Overland Bound Non-Event Event! :grin: This basically means, bring your own stuff, meals, water, anything you need to survive, and be prepared for a good time. This is primitive camping, meaning, no toilets or running water, but you are still VERY close to Lone Pine, about a mile away on good roads.

I have attached Google Earth maps which I highly recommend viewing to see where we are going. You can also upload these to your GPS if you have one. You can do quite a bit of exploring in Google Earth, checking out trails and viewing the images others have posted:

2016-03-10_1202.png

You need to get to Lone Pine, CA. I'll roll in that evening on April 1st, trying to get there before dark. This is not an April fools joke, I will be there. :tonguewink: Once out at Alabama Hills, you can camp anywhere you can park.
  • Up high is windy
  • In the rocks is good
  • It would be great to camp in the near vicinity of each other.
118.png

119.png

Saturday Morning, we will roll out to Cerro Gordo Mining Ghost Town! Pack your lunch and plenty of water!

160.png

152.png

There are a couple ways to get there. The "easy" way, and the hard way. The hard way requires:

"Moderate. Steep, narrow and rocky in places. Last part of route is a narrow shelf road. Prone to washouts and rock slides. Suitable for aggressive stock SUVs with high clearance, low range and skid plates. "

You new 4Runner guys with decent clearance and skids should be fine.

I recommend we take the easy way together, and some of the folks can take the hard way back, but you could also leave an hour earlier and meet the easy way folks at the mine.

We'll head back to Alabama Hills throughout the rest of the day. Other things in the area to see:

• Drive to the base of Mount Whitney
  • The Mobius Arch
  • The Movie locations throughout Alabama Hills (Iron Man, Lone Ranger).
jericho-missile.gif

Sunday, roll out!

See you there!

M & @Corrie

Attachments

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Hm. Is Cerro Gordo BLM land?

Do believe it is, as my Inyo NF maps don't cover it. Just called BLM and ordered Benton Range, Bishop, and Bridgeport BLM ownership maps.

Anything that doesn't cover I'll download. I just hate relying on that in the field.
Of course, not a single one of these covers the area we are discussing. There a reason my wife is my navigatrix...

Reactions: Michael