A question about water storage

• HTML tutorial

Steve Blair

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lexington Ky
Member #

I've seen multiple pictures of members using water storage containers on roof racks. I was just wondering if that water is OK to remain in the sun in a dark colored/BPA free container? If so, how long have you guys stored it?

Thanks

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Here in the desert Southwest water planning is a high priority.

My current system is two Front Runner Universal Jerry Can Mounts. I mix water and fuel carriage as required by the trip. I've added brass quarter turn spigots to the water cans. Those feed a 10' marine grade hose run along my Arb Awning with a quarter turn bib on the end. Gives me running water in camp and I don't have lug the cans up and down off the roof. I've never left the water in the cans for more than a week, but never had any taste issues. For water on the move we use 1 liter smart water bottles in the 6 cup holders located in the doors on the 4Runner with our Yeti tumblers holding whatever we happen to be drinking in the two console cup holders.

Situating the fuel can on the roof directly over my filler door allows me to use a Gas Tapper Siphon Pro to siphon the can directly into my tank, again not having to drag the jerry can up and down the ladder.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Water in a dark container is actually better than in a clear or semi-transparent container when dealing with heat and extreme sun. Prohibits bacterial growth. That's why you see the above ground water tanks for off-grid homes, and most of the water tanks for livestock, made of black or dark green. Leave a bit of room for expansion, cycle your water, and when empty rinse with a couple drops of bleach included in your rinse water, along with a thorough visual inspection.

I know off-grid guys who catch all their water from gutter systems on low-pitched roofs in the Chihuahuan desert, in huge above-ground black containers meant specifically for water, and keep it for ages before using it, though often run it through simple purification systems if intended for cooking or consumption, not just washing or livestock.

Steve Blair

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lexington Ky
Member #

Not to high jack but I have a question, I have two new free BP racing fuel cans that I fill up before I leave or when I get to camp and they set on the ground where a pump picks up the water and runs it to a faucet for wash dishes, hands etc.

We don't drink or cook with it, would that be ok or do I need a water approved container?

It's on our trailer
I'm no expert, but I'd imagine you'd either want a BPA free container, or you'd want to make sure those cans are super clean.

Reactions: HEYElliott and Road

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Definitely something BPA free or some other certification for food grade etc etc... the rinse every so often w ith a mxture for 6:1 water to bleach and swish it around works for many food grade containers as well as soft sided water bottles (used for camping and backpacking)

Reactions: Road

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

DIY I made 2 PVC tubes 10" wide and 6ft long and put a faucet on one end with a air fitting to pump air in for pressure if gravity is not enough. The full cap is on the top. Holds a lot of water.