Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
This soloist was projected to have died while trapped in his vehicle had other off roaders not seen him through a lens while taking panoramic pictures.

I know I am not the only one that goes out solo (vehicle) on this board............

I am a fan of the satellite messaging systems, but if the vehicle comes to a rest upside down and your unit is hard mounted, or thrown out of reach..........

Yes, he should have told someone even though he had no family. I am extremely short on blood relatives but have a cadre of individuals I can let know of my plans.........

Even if some of us were late in returning from a trip, would our "people in the know" do anything, or react in an appropriate amount of time?

What if there was a thread where you "checked in". Dates, vehicle description, number of individuals on board, route of (off road) travel, and camp locations, methods of contact on the vehicle, methods of personal contact if you return and forget to post your return.

No discussions.

You come back. You respond to your own post having had returned.

You come back. You forget to post your return. Someone gently prods you into posting your return.

Thoughts?

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I saw this article this morning! I definitely second having a trip itinerary or "float plan" with locations and times for emergency situations. We highly encouraged the boating community to have these when I was in the USCG so it makes sense to have them for this!

Last edited:

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I think it's a great idea to have a thread like that.

Every time I head out I let people know.... my wife especially, lol. But I also tell my wife who to contact if she can't get in touch with me and she begins to worry.... like a friend or 2 with a capable 4x4 to come find me. She would know where I would be (generally speaking) but would not be able to get there in her corolla, lol.

Reactions: Daniel Etter

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

When I had my old boat, I would always tell the Wife and a friend who had a boat, where I was going that day. Just in case.
I don't see it any different when Going on trips, or just wheelin... you never know what could happen. There's not always cell signal.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

I seen Facebook implemented a check in/im safe option right after the Paris shooting at the stadium.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

Another thing I would like to add.... if people are posting here and do not want to post their personal information perhaps a picture of your rig with the license plate would be enough to get the ball rolling with the authorities... and the phone number to the local authorities too I guess....

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Absolutely. What I do not want listed in the itineraries is personal address' or details of residence.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

What do you guys think about this for the "overland plan"? I just typed it up real fast to get the ball rolling. Let me know what you think and if there should be any changes!

Attachments

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

What do you guys think about this for the "overland plan"? I just typed it up real fast to get the ball rolling. Let me know what you think and if there should be any changes!
I like the option of the numerous departure/arrival times to help pinpoint where you are in case there are multiple stops, etc.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Are you indicating that folks fill out the form and post it on the thread?

Or use it as a template to post info into the thread with?

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

@Mad Garden Gnome If this idea gets its own dedicated thread, then we can use an online version of the form if that's what people want. For now, I think it just provides a basic template of information to consider, which can be posted as a message. It's up to the overlander to decide whether they want to fill out the form and submit it or just post a general itinerary. For now, the form is just a concept to build ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: Winterpeg

Cpl J

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Madras Oregon
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
ke7cqw
This is a good idea. I go out by myself most of the time. and I get kind of leary of going to some places even with gps. if I have never been there

.shark.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

This is critical to have. A lot of us go out alone even when we know it's better to go in groups.

I feel for forum use, it should remain short and concise:

Trail name/ location by region city and state / gps cords:

Time leaving with estimated return:

Hard time for reporting missing:
(if not back by 5pm alert First responders)

Rig make and model:
Rig identifiable markings (stickers/upgrades, ect.)

Something along these lines is all we'd need.

'12 Xterra Pro 4x
@fromseastotrees - IG
Map Team for Trailsoffroad

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

I love this idea.

If you have an Overland Bound account, or especially, a member number, OB HQ has your details, so it would be enough to simply post your OB Number. It should be all inclusive however, so personal information added would be up to the individual.

I want to facilitate this, possibly have a side banner link to the thread. Lets decide how we are going to do this, then create the thread sticky.

M

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I feel like @.shark. Is right with keeping it simple on the forum. The list he has would work perfectly for the group. The form would be good for personal use to leave with family/close friends.

jdunk

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder II

King County, Washington, United States
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

I think this is a great idea. However, for privacy and security, what would people say about making this a not public forum. Logon (at least), or Membership required.

I do like the idea of just using your Member number and storing all the sensitive information in a more secure database.

.shark.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

I like posting the member number and having that info linked.

'12 Xterra Pro 4x
@fromseastotrees - IG
Map Team for Trailsoffroad

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I like the idea of using the account info and OB number already on file. Then in the thread the person can decide if they want to add more info if they want.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I could see this working one of two ways.

A forum category where you start a thread with your dates in the title. Going with the member personal info route, the individual inputs

• rural route of travel
  • vehicle(s) description
  • overnights point(s) of stay and dates
  • planned comm methods or method of contact (FRS/GMRS channels/privacy channels, HAM freqs, CB channels / SATTCOMM contact info)
You will have to ensure that you have a solid method of contact in your private info. I have no qualms with putting the flag up because someone did not make their return message. If government assets get deployed because you used an obscure email account that you don't often check in order to register on this site, and didn't see the email from me saying HEY, ARE YOU BACK? Someone may get a big fat bill from their county/state for EMS services rendered inappropriately.

The OP makes the second post indicating the party has confirmed return.

Or, an alternative method..........

One forum with continuous posting with ONLY trip itinerary and posted confirmations of return.

@Michael, thoughts?