A Check In/Out Thread

• HTML tutorial

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

This is a great idea! I like Michael's side banner idea. We should think about how long is an appropriate amount of time before we start to kick into gear.

I guess the challenging part is the false positives, where members just forget to check in, or lose their phone signal - not a whole lot you can do about that. I think we'd need to reiterate that if this member "service" is used, it needs to be taken VEEEERY seriously. An alternate contact is a must IMO - that way if the member doesn't check in, there would be a way for us to contact someone else who could possibly let us know that the overlander is indeed fine.

Reactions: Winterpeg

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Yes and no. Why a regional set up Rob?

I could see one continuous, non regional forum/thread being easier to administrate, as this is just bare bones info posting.
I agree with you. Keep it simple. One place to check, thus maximizing the chance that members will keep tabs on you.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
This goes back to either
1) having solid contact info in your private member profile
is used or
2) you put a method of contact into your trip notes

I need to go back and look at the side banner details. I know Michael and CC are busy enough as is with this endeavor. The forum thread method would enable this to start with minimal website modification (I feel this pain. I run the site for my wife's horse and carriage service).

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all, I added a check in/check out beta to the Members section. This is for test only. It is "Members Only" due to the highly sensitive nature of this possible feature. Please let me know what you think. Perhaps you guys can create a template/example thread?

@Mad Garden Gnome has been added as an administrator for now, others welcome.

When creating a thread, the author, or administrator will set the prefix to:
  1. Check Out - Im out
  2. Check In - Im back
  3. Pending - Unknown, investigating
  4. Missing - Confirmed Missing
Here is the thread:
Check-In/Check Out

Reactions: picklejuice

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Let me play devil's advocate here, for a bit.

The idea is to post an itinerary with emergency contact info. If I don't check in at a given time, someone here contacts my emergency contact and tells them I'm not back when I said I would. Clear enough. Why wouldn't I simply tell my emergency contact my itinerary directly, and if I'm not back at a given time, they would start looking for me. No middle man.

I can see: "Hi Betty, I know Joe from the Internet, and he hasn't posted that he's back from his trip yet. I'm supposed to call you if that happens." Betty says, "Slag off, he's sitting here having a beer, wanker" (Betty is from England...)

Or another scenario where Joe decides to spend another couple days at Sunny Falls State Park, and can't check in. We send Search and Rescue, and Joe looks at them confused at to why they're there, and @Michael gets an S&R bill for sending out a team for no reason.

I'm not pooh poohing the idea, I just see some possible problems.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
Let me play devil's advocate here, for a bit.

The idea is to post an itinerary with emergency contact info. If I don't check in at a given time, someone here contacts my emergency contact and tells them I'm not back when I said I would. Clear enough. Why wouldn't I simply tell my emergency contact my itinerary directly, and if I'm not back at a given time, they would start looking for me. No middle man.

I can see: "Hi Betty, I know Joe from the Internet, and he hasn't posted that he's back from his trip yet. I'm supposed to call you if that happens." Betty says, "Slag off, he's sitting here having a beer, wanker" (Betty is from England...)

Or another scenario where Joe decides to spend another couple days at Sunny Falls State Park, and can't check in. We send Search and Rescue, and Joe looks at them confused at to why they're there, and @Michael gets an S&R bill for sending out a team for no reason.

I'm not pooh poohing the idea, I just see some possible problems.
Ya - lets think this one through. make sure it is a value add. Overland Bound certainly does not want a bill, but I think we could get through that with disclaimer and opt in if we go ahead with it.

Reactions: Steve

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I dont see overland bound getting the bill.

I see the instigator of the SAR getting the bill
or
with enough show for cause, the poster that busted his own plan getting the bill.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
And yea, I've been the one told to wank off, he's here with a pint, a couple times.

It comes with the territory.

Reactions: Steve

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

After thinking all day and reminiscing over the issues my unit faced with float plans, I feel like it's a good concept, but impractical. As stated previously, people tend to stay longer than planned frequently if they are enjoying their surroundings. I feel like the idea of having an emergency contact sheet given to family members would do more good. They would be able to have a better understanding if something is actually wrong, unlike trying to figure it out over the Internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Even the FAA doesn't scramble if you don't call and close your flight plan immediately.....or at all. Dealt with than one too. One day over........start paying attention. Three days over, like the gentlemen in the story, maybe start putting out feelers.

Reactions: Winterpeg

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

If this thread is created, it should be used to only get in touch with the emergency contact, not S&R. It would be up to the emergency contact to start that process. The overlander would be responsible for notifying their listed person that they are the emergency contact and their role if contacted.

picklejuice

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bay Area, CA
Member #

I think it's worth a beta test. If I were lost or in some ditch somewhere, I'd have more piece-of-mind knowing that, not only do I have an emergency contact, but I also have the OB community there as a fail safe.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
If this thread is created, it should be used to only get in touch with the emergency contact, not S&R. It would be up to the emergency contact to start that process. The overlander would be responsible for notifying their listed person that they are the emergency contact and their role if contacted.

This is an ideal first step. The point of contact should know whether to blow the whistle or not.

Reactions: Truckerbizz