Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
Perhaps not the best example in the community but Pirate 4x4 has seen it's share of folks needing and getting help through their forum community.

.shark.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

There's a group of local guys out here that you can call if you get stuck, they're a bunch of crawlers and typically help out just to help out. Cool thing they do!

'12 Xterra Pro 4x
@fromseastotrees - IG
Map Team for Trailsoffroad

.shark.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Also, the original intent for the idea was for members who do not have family or an existing emergency contact. Still interesting on both sides of the scope, it would require serious accountability!

'12 Xterra Pro 4x
@fromseastotrees - IG
Map Team for Trailsoffroad

Reactions: picklejuice

SLO Rob

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Investor

Pathfinder III

San Luis Obispo, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Petterson
Member #

Yes and no. Why a regional set up Rob?

I could see one continuous, non regional forum/thread being easier to administrate, as this is just bare bones info posting.
My initial thought was that because if someone is in the area to respond, or know them etc...But the idea as a whole is great. For instance, if I went out to La Panza solo, I could let the WEST group know etc...not folks in Florida. I think this is great either way...and can of course be fine tuned down the road.

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I'm not sure many folks, other than me perhaps will be monitoring the check thread.

Now, it starts going on day two of someone running overdue, I may start pinging their OB friends and/or regional forum.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

Let me play devil's advocate here, for a bit.

I can see: "Hi Betty, I know Joe from the Internet, and he hasn't posted that he's back from his trip yet. I'm supposed to call you if that happens." Betty says, "Slag off, he's sitting here having a beer, wanker" (Betty is from England...)
What if a reminder automated email/text was sent to the OP? Yeah, you wouldn't get the email/text till you had service again BUT I think it would be an easy way for the OP to stay on top of checking back in if they were back in service and had forgot.
When I return from a trip and I cross over that magical line of service, my phone starts going off with all the emails, texts, social media notifications, etc. It would be super easy to open the NEW OB APP and click check in.

Reactions: Steve

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

What if a reminder automated email/text was sent to the OP? Yeah, you wouldn't get the email/text till you had service again BUT I think it would be an easy way for the OP to stay on top of checking back in if they were back in service and had forgot.
When I return from a trip and I cross over that magical line of service, my phone starts going off with all the emails, texts, social media notifications, etc. It would be super easy to open the NEW OB APP and click check in.
That seems like a good idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Mad Garden Gnome

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Templeton, Ca
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Marlett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6ORV
I see this as a setup worthy of Corrie and Michael's time and energy to set up if this "service" deems itself worth it. Right now I would like to see this run as a voluntary monitored feature. As simple as the auto notice idea is, it will take website modification and support in order to enact this. I did not mean for this to become another item on their plate. It is a good idea.

Reactions: murps