96 Land Rover Discovery Build

• HTML tutorial

96discovery

Rank 0

Traveler I

I purchased my one family owned 96 D1 a little over a year ago for $1900 and it only had 123,000 since then I have been replacing little things here and there like water pump, fuel pump, basic tune up, a few sensors little things like that. Now I am getting ready to start the build and was wondering if anyone out there has done this vehicle before or knows someone that has that can let me know some of the week points or where to start. I am not going to be doing any rock crawling or anything but we do like hitting the beach and I would love to start doing some trails as I hear NC has some nice ones close to the mountain area. Don't get me wrong she did great on the beach stock but I think we can do better.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

If you're not going to rock crawl...then upgrade your suspension, but DO NOT lift. These vehicles are designed to drive sideways at a 45 degree angle without tipping. Once you lift it you raise the center of gravity, and you will roll...lol. Same with bigger tires. These vehicles are prone to power steering and ABS issues...but I love 'em! I am running 30x9.50 Goodyear Dura Trac's....Stock size but aggressive tread. Alpine rated and imo better than the Goodyear MTR's as I have used both. In total stock form, this vehicle is amazing. Learning to drive and use your vehicle as well as familiarity with your vehicle and it's limitations...is very important. I've known people who buy an offroad vehicle, put thousands into a build....and they're always stuck in a friggin' ditch...because they have no offroad driving skills. I've known people in a bone stock S-10 or Subaru who have driving skills that have negotiated near impossible obstacles. So knowledge is as important as the build itself. Mine is a 1999 Series I Discovery SD. I have built and designed 90% of my upgrades, including the snorkel kit...Here's a pic of mine...DSCF5033.JPG my name's Alan, nice to meet you, Welcome to Overland bound!

Reactions: jerdog53

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Thank you for the info. I was planing on upgrading to the hd terrafirma shocks and springs to handle the load. There not rated for a lift but I'm told it will probably lift about 2 inches just having new parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk
Look into Old Man Emu as well, they make great suspension parts.

Rodtheviking

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I have used OME. Terrafirma and Rovertym suspensions, all are good. Although I'd skip Rovertym now, heard some stories about quality lately. I have 2 Discos now one with the OME and one with the Terrafirma. I would say that I prefer the Terrafirma MD over the OME HD. I find the the OME a little too soft for an HD. The Terra seems to have the better ride, a little stiff but really nice when loaded. However everyone has a different butt feel. :) I would go with the light Terrafirma for little to no lift but better load capacity.. but I really like my medium set with the plus 2" shocks.

Also the 2" or Medium lift looks really good with 235/85 16 tires. :)

Rodtheviking

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Vancouver, WA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Williams
Member #

I would do a quick measurement compared to stock height (470mm from hub center to fender lip) to get a starting point.

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

Thanks Ryan. I love my D1 just replaced all the exhaust and went with a flow master muffler and that little v8 sounds awesome. Now to start on the rest of my list.

I have a Discovery 1 brush guard you might be interested in.

Your profile says that you are in Seven Springs, North Carolina. I am stationed in Beaufort, South Carolina, roughly four hours away from you.

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

I would love to get it. You wouldn't know where I can get a rack for a budget.

It's a little rough on the bottom end and needs a new paint job.

I paid $250 for it out of Jacksonville, Florida.

I'm here for the community, and the Discovery community is small indeed. I'd like to help out as a can and make new friends/adventures more than I really need $, you know?

I wouldn't feel right asking for any money for it anyways, given that it needs to be stripped and re-painted and have the bottom cap-ends trimmed.

I'll give it to you. Perhaps we could meet halfway?

I am currently on leave and won't be back into Beaufort until the evening of the 31st. I have some physical fitness tests to knock out for the Corps on the 2nd of June, but could make a trip on that weekend.

As for the roof racks, I got lucky as hell getting mine. A group in Conway, South Carolina, not horribly far from you dismantles Rovers and sometimes has them available. The guy sold me a Safety Devices reproduction from Voyager Racks (worth $1,100) for $400! Also snagged a rear ladder for $50!

I'll get you the information for these people.

96discovery

Rank 0

Traveler I

It's a little rough on the bottom end and needs a new paint job.

I paid $250 for it out of Jacksonville, Florida.

I'm here for the community, and the Discovery community is small indeed. I'd like to help out as a can and make new friends/adventures more than I really need $, you know?

I wouldn't feel right asking for any money for it anyways, given that it needs to be stripped and re-painted and have the bottom cap-ends trimmed.

I'll give it to you. Perhaps we could meet halfway?

I am currently on leave and won't be back into Beaufort until the evening of the 31st. I have some physical fitness tests to knock out for the Corps on the 2nd of June, but could make a trip on that weekend.

As for the roof racks, I got lucky as hell getting mine. A group in Conway, South Carolina, not horribly far from you dismantles Rovers and sometimes has them available. The guy sold me a Safety Devices reproduction from Voyager Racks (worth $1,100) for $400! Also snagged a rear ladder for $50!

I'll get you the information for these people.
Man that would be awesome. I run my own graphics shop and I'm closed on Sunday and Monday. So I would be able to head that way on either of those days. Maybe I can hook you up with some graphics in return.

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

Man that would be awesome. I run my own graphics shop and I'm closed on Sunday and Monday. So I would be able to head that way on either of those days. Maybe I can hook you up with some graphics in return.

Sunday the 5th of June, should work out for me as well.

That will give me time to get it out of storage for you.

I'll PM you my personal information, and we'll call it tentative for now, yeah?

Looks like Florence is our halfway point, if you wanted to meet up. Then it wouldn't be an eight hour trip for either of us.

As for the graphics, that would be awesome, but I'm not sure right now what I'd want done up. I am deploying in July, and won't be around to do anything with the rig while I am away. Maybe once I get back, but then I'll be getting ready to move back to Washington.

I appreciate the consideration, though.