Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

If you read this from the beginning, know that this is updated in real time, and updates will occour.

20181226_115502.jpg

I've been building my rig for about 3.5 years. I'll dig up the old pictures and show y'all where it all began.

Every square inch of this thing has been touched. To add to that, every few weeks, I add to it. I'll gladly tell you all about it, but first know that I get no benefits or discounts for promoting or using products.

As far as the steering and suspension goes,

Zone Offroad 3" lift with add a leaf rear (I recommend full leaf packs) as well as shocks, steering stabilizer, and a 1" transfer case drop.

Rugged Ridge HD crossover steering conversion

ZJ pitman arm (1" drop over stock)

Rough Country lower control arms

The engine is mildly modified; all bolt ons.

4 port injectors (no not from a mustang)

aftermarket fuel pressure regulator running about 35psi at an idle

newer "ramhorn" intake manifold

bored throttle body (done myself, I can explain how for those that want to try it)

10.2mm dragonfire plug wires (Later swapped for Standard 8mm wires until my ignition upgrade...coming....)

I'm sure I'm forgetting something......

As for the rest, there are a bunch of little mods...

The mechanical fan was replaced with a second electric one, and they both are wired to come on with the ignition through a kill switch just in case. The power steering pressure regulator has been modified to flow better and I've added a cooler as well. The entire a/c system is gone with the exception of the compressor and dash components (alternator relocation coming). I added an aftermarket trans cooler as the factory one was insufficient. The 90 amp alternator was too weak to do much of anything, so it was swapped with a 136 amp from a 97 dodge full size and the battery was relocated and swapped for a 45 amp hour AGM (which I replaced with a bigger one after 3 years since it had a CCA rating of about 200. That was bumped to about 780CCA. I've honestly got more mods and time into this ol girl than I can account for so if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Updated 5/6/19

Last edited:

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

So let's take it back to the beginning. She started out just a craigslist jeep on a beat half assed lift (front only) and a broken coil spring. IMG_20150429_163948813.jpgIMG_20150501_165748262.jpgIMG_20150501_154921830.jpgIMG_20150808_145521614.jpgIMG_20150613_130642257.jpgIMG_20150613_162555471.jpgIMG_20150702_195102521.jpgIMG_20150711_125414218.jpgIMG_20150802_145843543.jpg
Then came the Zone Offroad 3" lift with shocks and a transfer case drop.

Then a bunch of random ideas... Paint, bumpers, lights, all the way out to Mad Max styling, thus giving her the name MAXXINE

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmy P

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

Been a bit, bought a house and haven't had much time. Not to mention I can't reply or post from home something's up with my browser.... Anyway, the chop process has begun.0502191759.jpg0502191755.jpg20190505_151901.jpg20190505_145952.jpg20190505_144046.jpg20190505_144017.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckoverland

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

Got the main brace for the back wall in last night, next comes the temporary support braces so I can cut some more...0508191938.jpg

Last edited:

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

Small change in design, but more effective in the long term. Looks like the gas tank will be relocated, the unibody rails will be heavily reinforced, and the bed will be one of a kind. Here's the current progress. I only get a hour or two a day to work on it except the weekends. 0509191943.jpg

Last edited:

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

In a recent turn of events, poor ol Max is becoming a trail only rig. So much rot was hidden. On that note, here is her current state. My welder decided it dodn't want any more, so I'm waiting to buy a replacement, then I can resume the build. 6 years or better of hard use on a harbor freight welder ain't bad.0527191924.jpg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

In a recent turn of events, poor ol Max is becoming a trail only rig. So much rot was hidden. On that note, here is her current state. My welder decided it dodn't want any more, so I'm waiting to buy a replacement, then I can resume the build. 6 years or better of hard use on a harbor freight welder ain't bad.View attachment 100999
If you're thinking of putting the bed that's to the right in the pic on the back of your XJ ... it's kind of small don't you think? lol. Seriously, a 2 dr. is the best XJ for a chop job in my opinion. I have a 2 dr. too and who knows, maybe one day ...

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

If you're thinking of putting the bed that's to the right in the pic on the back of your XJ ... it's kind of small don't you think? lol. Seriously, a 2 dr. is the best XJ for a chop job in my opinion. I have a 2 dr. too and who knows, maybe one day ...
Although it would be interesting, no that won't be going on there. I'm actually in the process of figuring out placement of everything, as trail only rigs run by less rules a guess. The gas tank will be relocated, and I might finally carry a spare tire. I'll be eliminating many of the components needed for legal road driving, and making many changes to better negotiate trails. More pics to come.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Like the rigs name. The big old wrecker I drove in the Army was named Maxine (Max for short) after the shop chief's wife. :tearsofjoy:

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Your rig looks fun! That's what it's all about. Your original snorkel intrigues me. I have one of those spectra cold air intakes. I'm not to keen on how chintzy the air filter actually is. I wonder if i incoporated it as a secondary filter to one coming through the snorkel like you had. I really want to free up the space for my Smitty built air compressor to power my arb lockers and tires. I think before I attempt it I will run my design through the mechanics at the Colorado clean air shop. Colorado has adopted California's laws. Which in Cali. The spectra cold air won't pass?????
Thanks for sharing!

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

Your rig looks fun! That's what it's all about. Your original snorkel intrigues me. I have one of those spectra cold air intakes. I'm not to keen on how chintzy the air filter actually is. I wonder if i incoporated it as a secondary filter to one coming through the snorkel like you had. I really want to free up the space for my Smitty built air compressor to power my arb lockers and tires. I think before I attempt it I will run my design through the mechanics at the Colorado clean air shop. Colorado has adopted California's laws. Which in Cali. The spectra cold air won't pass?????
Thanks for sharing!

My snorkel was actually piped straight to the intake. That filter was the only one lol. The cover for it was literally a coffee can. I now have it run across the engine bay and sit over the starter but right tight to the hood.

American Off-Road Club

Rank VI
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, NY, USA
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Kemak
Member #

Well in a recent turn of events, I bought another XJ that all of these parts are going on.
Found a lot of rot during this build and it's honestly not feasible for me to continue it.
So after all that, the new one will essentially be the seed of Maxxine. Sounds like a horror movie... Meet Sally. <<<< LINK
0609191413.jpg

Last edited: