• HTML tutorial

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Great Stuff !!!

I love DIY builds with DIY built parts! You are doing a great job at fixing the body as well, hope to meet up with you at one of the So Cal get together s. Daryl

Knuckles? Them seem to have bad days.

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Great Stuff !!!

I love DIY builds with DIY built parts! You are doing a great job at fixing the body as well, hope to meet up with you at one of the So Cal get together s. Daryl

Knuckles? Them seem to have bad days.
Thank you!

Yeah I hope to meet more OB members too. Each time I've planned to be at a meet up something came up.

Soon. I keep telling myself that I'll make one soon. Lol.

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Yeah, it definitely could have been worse.

I text a couple of my gear head buddies to see if they could help with getting that hub together, none were free so I just dove into it and BAM! I sliced it and within 15 minutes of texting them I was off to the ER... [emoji541]

I should have waited! Lol.

I know how that goes. I had a starter, that was balanced on a front axle land on my head when a buddy and I were trying to get a transmission and transfer case reinstalled and they was being stubborn.

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
I dig the vintage iron and that your building it yourself! Love that your kids are helping! Gives them that pride of coming back from a trip and think about how they help build the rig that got them home safe.

I also have a np203/205 doubler waiting to go into my bronco, good call on the triple stick and on upgrading to 35" tires. Are running a 14b rear? Looks like an impressive build? Are u going to fab rock sliders? Hands down best protection I've added to my stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mexia, Texas
Member #

Very well done so far my friend. You are going to love the doubler. Makes moving heavy rigs around the trails so much easier.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I dig the vintage iron and that your building it yourself! Love that your kids are helping! Gives them that pride of coming back from a trip and think about how they help build the rig that got them home safe.

I also have a np203/205 doubler waiting to go into my bronco, good call on the triple stick and on upgrading to 35" tires. Are running a 14b rear? Looks like an impressive build? Are u going to fab rock sliders? Hands down best protection I've added to my stuff.

I'm running an ho72 which was the predecessor to the 14bolt. It has 3 pinion bearings like the 14B and has a bigger pinion shaft. it has a drop out 3rd member like the ford 9" and a cover on the back. Better clearance than a 14 as well... the ring gear is 1/4" smaller in diameter though.

I actually welded in 2x3" rectangle tubing instead of buying new rocker panels when I did all the sheet metal work. They work great and are up nice and high. The down side is that they're welded to the body and not bolted to the frame, which isn't a problem as long as my body mounts are in good shape. (Which they're not). I'll be replacing them in a week or so.

Reactions: AJoslin

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Very well done so far my friend. You are going to love the doubler. Makes moving heavy rigs around the trails so much easier.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
Yeah man I can't wait! I'm pretty pumped about the whole thing. Having those deep low gears along with the overdrive transmission... I get all excited just thinking about it! LOL!

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

I went out to Santa Ana on Wednesday to finalize my order with Jeff the owner of Deaver suspension. I'm pretty stoked about it! I'm gonna have 10-12" of travel up front and 14-16 in the rear. Now I need some good shocks to accommodate all that suspension. I've been looking all around for some used King bypass shocks and 2-4" gas bump stops. I can't believe how much those things sell for?! Yikes!

The good news ,if ya wanna call it good, is that my Deavers are 6-8 weeks out so I can sorta spread out the sticker shock a little bit.

It's a good thing my wife isn't on the forum! Lol! [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

Today I started fabing up my cross member for my 203/205 doubler... installing this thing is gonna be a pain in the @$$!

Reactions: AJoslin and caleath

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Very good build thread! You sir, truly are a mad scientist! Your son had it right!---No but for real, truly a badass in the garage! Great looking rig, can't wait to see more!

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Very good build thread! You sir, truly are a mad scientist! Your son had it right!---No but for real, truly a badass in the garage! Great looking rig, can't wait to see more!
Thank you! One thing I really like about OB is all the love! Historically a guy would build a car be it street rod, rat rod, 4x4 or overland rig and the time and effort it took would go unappreciated. Now we can all show off what we're up to and get ideas and get inspired.

I've been working on old cars for a while now (mostly VW busses/bugs) but I have never gotten this deep into anything before. It's been quite a learning experience!

Reactions: LuxuryOverland

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

Thank you! One thing I really like about OB is all the love! Historically a guy would build a car be it street rod, rat rod, 4x4 or overland rig and the time and effort it took would go unappreciated. Now we can all show off what we're up to and get ideas and get inspired.

I've been working on old cars for a while now (mostly VW busses/bugs) but I have never gotten this deep into anything before. It's been quite a learning experience!

That is badass man. Truly inspiring!
I agree, the ability to show off our hard work and dedication is quite a rewarding experience!

I have a few projects myself, namely the OB rig of course, and a 56 Dodge Royal! Just looking at your thread and how far you've come, makes me want to dig into the Royal and get some things done to her!

Great read, appreciate the post and the feedback! Look forward to seeing more!!!

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Built a tow hitch to get the chassis around town as necessary. I took it to the car wash and gave it a bath... it was surprisingly clean for a 47 year old truck.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Stripped it down. Cleaned a.d painted the frame.

I relocated the engine cross member forward 2" and fitted the motor, headers, etc.

I cleaned up the fuel and brake lines. I'm gonna put in 2 line locks (front and rear) to lock up the breaks on steep slips where the parking brake isn't enough to hold the truck but you have to get out to move a boulder or whatever.

I put in the 4 speed and doubler and I'm in the process of fabbing up a cross member to accommodate everything.

I had to have that aluminum spacer made, luckily for me I have a few machinist friends so this one was free. I'm pretty sure I'll be helping him in the future soon with one of his construction projects. Anyhow things are moving forward... slowly but surely.

Sent from my SM-N900T using OB Talk mobile app

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Got my shifter linkage finally done... well like 90% done. I'll still have to remove, clean and paint it. I might add some zerk fittings on those tunes but I'm not sure yet.

I made them serviceable... the sticks are removable as are the flat bar side that the clevis' attach to. So in theory it can all be removed and reworked in the future if necessary. I was careful not to have things interfere with other parts like cooling lines and exhaust system components.

Its going a lot slower than I thought it would but I'm more or less happy with how it's coming together.

Next is the cross member. Updates to follow soon.

Thanks for the interest and encouragement, it helps! [emoji123]

Sent from my SM-N900T using OB Talk mobile app

Last edited: