Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

This build takes the phase "built, not bought" to a whole new level IMHO.
I agree and thank you... its a matter of finances really [emoji2]. When you're basically broke ya gotta build it to save money! One cool side benifit of that philosophy is that I can tell my wife something like this... "Ya know babe, I can buy the part and install it or I can buy a welder and make the part myself for the same price." I've accumulating some pretty nifty tools over the years. [emoji106]

Jonah "Rustyburbin" #4084.
5 kids, a wife, dog and a
1970 K20 Suburban

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I agree and thank you... its a matter of finances really [emoji2]. When you're basically broke ya gotta build it to save money! One cool side benifit of that philosophy is that I can tell my wife something like this... "Ya know babe, I can buy the part and install it or I can buy a welder and make the part myself for the same price." I've accumulating some pretty nifty tools over the years. [emoji106]

1970 K20 Suburban
Hey I can dig it! This build thread has given me more motivation to fab up my own stuff for my M715

Reactions: Rusty burbin

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Seeing the frame twist like that gives me the willies....
Yeah man, looking back I wish I wouldn't have lifted it so high. I'm really lucky that it didn't do any damage... live and learn I guess. [emoji53]

1970 K20 Suburban

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Yeah man, looking back I wish I wouldn't have lifted it so high. I'm really lucky that it didn't do any damage... live and learn I guess. [emoji53]

1970 K20 Suburban
Wonder if you could box in the frame, assuming you already haven’t? Maybe some more crossmembers? I have a feeling with the weight of the body and contents that you would be ok, but just from a rigidity standpoint, boxed in frames are stronger

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Bumpstops figured out. It looks like my shock body might hit the bumpstop can at full droop, I sure hope not. I won't know for sure until I cut, curve and lengthen my shackles so I can actually achieve full droop. But I like the results so far... just 3 more to build!

I had to build a contact point onto my u-bold plate to get everything to work.

1970 K20 Suburban

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

If you are really that curious to see if its going to touch make a spacer the same thickness as your leaf pack minus the main leaf, then disassemble the pack leaving only the main leaf and your spacer installed. Cycle your suspension and check for clearances, make sure you've got a solid 3/8" of space between everything as that will ensure that if you're really given'er on the trail everything should still maintain a safe clearance.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

If you are really that curious to see if its going to touch make a spacer the same thickness as your leaf pack minus the main leaf, then disassemble the pack leaving only the main leaf and your spacer installed. Cycle your suspension and check for clearances, make sure you've got a solid 3/8" of space between everything as that will ensure that if you're really given'er on the trail everything should still maintain a safe clearance.
You're right about that... unfortunately that won't make any difference with my stock shackles as they hit the bracelets and won't allow full droop, hence "cut, curve and lengthen". Its all good at full compression.

1970 K20 Suburban

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
This my friend is an awesome project. I have always wanted an old Sburb. Keep the pictures and progress coming.

Rusty burbin

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hesperia, CA 92345, USA
First Name
Jonah
Last Name
Gregg
Member #

Dont waste your time trying to re-work the stock shackles when you can just buy what you need, provided the leaf spring width is correct.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-boomerang-lift-shackles-rc0403.html
I'd need something more like this only curved like to one you mentioned (I've looked around and can't find any for sale).

http://www.roughcountry.com/lowering-shackles-rc0501.html

The other, better option is a shackle flip but I'd need my Deavers would have to be remade/replaced and I'm not sure I want to take the time or spend the money when I can modify my stock shackles... I want to lower it a little bit anyhow so it kinda makes sense to me. I'll post picks of the modified shackles when I get to them (hopefully this weekend)

1970 K20 Suburban

Reactions: Dylan Cave