Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wisconsin
First Name
Jerry
Last Name
S
Member #

Just saw this, I go up to the UP often, Going to try this out.
Highways are boring.
Thanks for this.

Reactions: GPG3

Supe

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Illinois
First Name
Brandyn
Last Name
Surprenant
Member #

Can’t wait to get out on this track. Thanks for sharing.

quicksand

Rank III
Launch Member

Traveler III

Minnesota
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Hall
Member #

A small group of us will be attempting the 7HrPC this March. Anything we should be aware of in the early spring \ late winter terrain in the Keweenaw peninsula \ NE Wisconsin area? Any flooding? (It looks like some of the towns near the trail have flooded in years past)

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
hello, I recently did the T.W.A.T. pretty easily and looking for more rich trails like this one, I have a 2005 honda crv and was wondering if you think it can make it if i stay clear of some rough spots in the trail. Otherwise going to wing it and see how it goes! Thanks!
Hello,

Thus the name....

If you have decent tires and shocks. You should be ok. I would keep your crv in 4wd at all times, though.
I'm not sure what mother nature's obstacles currently are.
Have fun!!I

Last edited:

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
A small group of us will be attempting the 7HrPC this March. Anything we should be aware of in the early spring \ late winter terrain in the Keweenaw peninsula \ NE Wisconsin area? Any flooding? (It looks like some of the towns near the trail have flooded in years past)
Honestly, I don't know the current condition. I might make a run in April.
There's a group of overlander's (including me) going at the end of May.
We'll post details later this month.

Enjoy the ride be safe!

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
My Son and I are planning to do this trail next September, I was wondering if it can be done in the opposite direction, starting at the most Northern point and following it South. Thoughts?

Yes you can. Just be cautious for North bound traffic.

Best

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
If anyone would like 7 Hour Plane Crash Trail stickers.

Email gpg3.phone@gmail.com

The stickers are $4.00 /ea. Pretty much covers cost and shipping. I use paypal for payments.

Size: About 3 inches wide by 4 inches tall.

7hpc.jpg

Reactions: Scout

bigearlmsp

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Blaine, Minnesota, USA
First Name
Nate
Last Name
Menard
Member #

This looks like fun. Putting it in the schedule for our trip mid July this year. Sounds like my Silverado may get a couple stripes from it though?

Mikegfx4

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Gilling
This looks like fun. Putting it in the schedule for our trip mid July this year. Sounds like my Silverado may get a couple stripes from it though?
Yes it will, especially near the Wisconsin Michigan border. My f150 made it but definitely got some stripes, nothing some buffing couldn't handle though. I would check the rules on the trails in Michigan, we got off the trails around Houghton because I'm pretty sure road legal vehicles were not allowed, use your judgement.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

ATTENTION EVERYONE CONSIDERING TRAVELING THIS TRAIL!!!

This trail peaked our interest, Michigan's UP is a tremendous resource for getting out and "overlanding". However, before traveling a route that any individual creates and makes public we first do the necessary research to find out if the route is along trails that are LEGAL for suv and truck travel. The portion of this trail north of Calumet is in fact on an ATV trail that is NOT LEGAL for suv and truck travel. The rest of the trail south of Calumet appears to be legal.

Reactions: Scout and laufer

Mikegfx4

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Gilling

This trail peaked our interest, Michigan's UP is a tremendous resource for getting out and "overlanding". However, before traveling a route that any individual creates and makes public we first do the necessary research to find out if the route is along trails that are LEGAL for suv and truck travel. The portion of this trail north of Calumet is in fact on an ATV trail that is NOT LEGAL for suv and truck travel. The rest of the trail south of Calumet appears to be legal.
This is correct, people need to do their own research before just believing what they see on the internet.

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge

The entire trail is 100% legal. Including the North of Calumet. It's mostly on Hwy 41 to Mandan Rd.
Have fun you all! I ran the trail last weekend. It was dry and beautiful!!!

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
Ran the 7 Hour Plane Crash Trail this past weekend in my Sequoia.
Everything was great.

20200523_064831.jpg 20200523_073451.jpg
20200523_073504.jpg 20200523_082246.jpg 20200523_110411.jpg20200523_155615.jpg 20200523_160352.jpg 20200523_160405.jpg

Reactions: Scout

Contributor III

Illinois
First Name
J
Last Name
C
Ran the 7 Hour Plane Crash Trail this past weekend in my Sequoia.
Everything was great.

View attachment 156339 View attachment 156340
View attachment 156341 View attachment 156342 View attachment 156343View attachment 156344 View attachment 156345 View attachment 156346
How long did it take you this time? I'm considering checking this out in a few weeks driving up from Illinois. I'm trying to figure how much time should I plan for.

GrumpyOldMan

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lake Villa, IL, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Dessain
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9HNK
Hello friends. I'm new to the forum. Signed up just for this thread!

So our local Chicago based Raptor group has a route created that centers around Crandon. Found out about this so anxious to try it out. We tentatively have a trip planned for late August, but I'm going up to my place in Rhinelander this Sunday for two weeks so I think I'm gonna get the wife to follow me in her 2015 Explorer and we'll see how far we can go starting in Crandon. Regardless of when I hit this, I'll report back.

Regards,

Todd

Contributor III

Illinois
First Name
J
Last Name
C
Hello friends. I'm new to the forum. Signed up just for this thread!

So our local Chicago based Raptor group has a route created that centers around Crandon. Found out about this so anxious to try it out. We tentatively have a trip planned for late August, but I'm going up to my place in Rhinelander this Sunday for two weeks so I think I'm gonna get the wife to follow me in her 2015 Explorer and we'll see how far we can go starting in Crandon. Regardless of when I hit this, I'll report back.

Regards,

Todd
My friends and I just finished this trail two weekends ago. We took a Wrangler Limited, lifted Crosstrek on A/Ts, and my lifted 100 series land cruiser. We started from the northern end and worked our way south. The trail in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest are fairly wide dirt roads. I actually had mentioned to my friends that a driving a Raptor through this section would be so much fun. North of the National Forest, the trail does narrow a bit. All three of our vehicles ended up getting some pinstriping. So, Raptors will definitely get some pinstriping. There is also a creek crossing north of the National Forest. We had no idea how deep the crossing was and the area around it was the muddiest part of the entire trail. Our recovery gear didn't include winches so we avoided it. I found the norther portion of the trail signifcantly slower going than the southern portion due to bumpier driving surfaces which includes logging roads. If you enjoy camping, as OP had mentioned, the camping at the northern tip has amazing views of Lake Superior. Hope this helps.

J

GrumpyOldMan

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Lake Villa, IL, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Dessain
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K9HNK
Thanks for the update. I don't think the wife and I are going to do too terribly much of this route. More of just something to do to get out of the house while we're up north.