GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
I and many others are disappointed on how lame the trans Wisconsin adventure trail is.
One can use a minivan to complete it.

I mapped out a trail that requires an overlanding rig. It is about 90% offroad to its final beautiful campsite.

Along the way you can drift off the trail and enjoy scenic areas and waterfalls.

Link to map below....

Be safe, enjoy!

Attachments

ARIZ ST 8

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Chicago, IL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Perlman
Thanks for posting this. I'm considering trying it out this weekend. Coming from the Chicagoland area. It's either TWAT, your plane route, or the Daniel Boone trail in KY.

Last edited:
Reactions: GPG3

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

I and many others are disappointed on how lame the trans Wisconsin adventure trail is.

I mapped out a trail that requires an overlanding rig. It is about 90% offroad to its final beautiful campsite.

Along the way you can drift off the trail and enjoy scenic areas and waterfalls.

Link to map below....

Be safe, enjoy!

Thanks for putting this together! Merri and I will give it a try someday soon.

Reactions: Dusther210 and GPG3

Connor_Dobbins

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Northwest Chicago Suburb
First Name
Connor
Last Name
Dobbins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHW455
You say its more technical than the Trans Wisconsin Adventure trail and more technical, can you provide a little more information? I looking at possibly exploring this trail but don't want to get stuck. It seems from your past that you are a pretty experienced off-roader with a certain degree of knowledge. How difficult would you rate it? Could a novice complete it or would you recommend getting more experience first?

C Shine

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Indiana
First Name
Cary
Last Name
Schein
Member #

Thanks for posting this. I'm considering trying it out this weekend. Coming from the Chicagoland area. It's either TWAT, your plane route, or the Daniel Boone trail in KY.
Did you end exploring the 7 Hr Plane Crash? If so, any beta on the route?

ARIZ ST 8

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Chicago, IL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Perlman
Unfortunately we did not... had an unexpected failure with the rail mounts on my Montero, so we headed home on day 2 of our trip. We did about half of the Trans Wisconsin Trail... I'm hopeful that this 7 HR Plane Crash is better. Not many options for a good trail to run in the Midwest I'm afraid.

Paris0514

Local Expert Kansas City MO
Founder 500

World Traveler III

Kansas City
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Paris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0KTP

Link to map below....

Be safe, enjoy!

Do you have these in a downloadable GPX?

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
You say its more technical than the Trans Wisconsin Adventure trail and more technical, can you provide a little more information? I looking at possibly exploring this trail but don't want to get stuck. It seems from your past that you are a pretty experienced off-roader with a certain degree of knowledge. How difficult would you rate it? Could a novice complete it or would you recommend getting more experience first?
Like I stated, the "adventure trail" is like a slow ride to grandma's house. It's mostly on paved roads Boring....

The 7hr plane crash is fun. It definitely requires some ground clearance.
It's not a mudder or rock climbing trail. No high dollar recovery gear needed.
It's similar to the Pine Forest section of the Baja 500.

Ruts, turns, deep forest, rocky sections, and scenic. One will cycle their shocks and test the capability of their rig.

There are many cool areas surrounding it.
Many spots to camp, also.

What's unusual is I saw more big size turtles than deer....

Have fun!

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
Like I stated, the "adventure trail" is like a slow ride to grandma's house. It's mostly on paved roads Boring....

The 7hr plane crash is fun. It definitely requires some ground clearance.
It's not a mudder or rock climbing trail. No high dollar recovery gear needed.
It's similar to the Pine Forest section of the Baja 500.

Ruts, turns, deep forest, rocky sections, and scenic. One will cycle their shocks and test the capability of their rig.

There are many cool areas surrounding it.
Many spots to camp, also.

What's unusual is I saw more big size turtles than deer....

Have fun!
Do you have these in a downloadable GPX?
I'll try and upload the .gpx

Mikegfx4

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Gilling
A friend and I would like to do this trail, wondering if you think our trucks could handle it. I have a leveled 2013 f150 on Cooper Discoverer ST (33in) tires. He has a stock Toyota Tacoma sport 4x4 (2016)? It has all season tires on it.

What do you think?

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
A friend and I would like to do this trail, wondering if you think our trucks could handle it. I have a leveled 2013 f150 on Cooper Discoverer ST (33in) tires. He has a stock Toyota Tacoma sport 4x4 (2016)? It has all season tires on it.

What do you think?
No issues. The ford is gonna receive a few pin stripes in the deep forest section.

Have fun!

Reactions: Shake

Mikegfx4

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Gilling
I was taking a look at this trail on the US Forest service interactive map and a bunch of the trails are shown as closed or dont exist on their maps. Any thoughts on that? Were there signs up there showing that the trails you took were open for highway vehicles?
Link to the map: Forest Service Visitor Map

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
I was taking a look at this trail on the US Forest service interactive map and a bunch of the trails are shown as closed or dont exist on their maps. Any thoughts on that? Were there signs up there showing that the trails you took were open for highway vehicles?
Link to the map: Forest Service Visitor Map
I recorded this map via my GPS tracker in early July, 2019. Nothing was closed.

Reactions: laufer

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

How did you come up with the name? How many miles is it from start to finish? How many days would you say to complete? This looks really interesting..

Reactions: Artenen and GPG3

GPG3

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin
First Name
George
Last Name
Papageorge
How did you come up with the name? How many miles is it from start to finish? How many days would you say to complete? This looks really interesting..
I used to desert race. We called Baja races all day plane crashes.

This trail is about 300 miles long.

Which takes about 7 hours non stop.

If you take your time and enjoy the beauty that surrounds this trail. You can make it a 2 to 3 day trip.

Enjoy!!

Last edited:

Pureevil13

Rank 0

Contributor I

Cary, Il
First Name
Lonnie
Last Name
Walker
My Son and I are planning to do this trail next September, I was wondering if it can be done in the opposite direction, starting at the most Northern point and following it South. Thoughts?