Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Not for long! Haha thank, much happier with the 4runner- don’t know what I did for space before in the 2door
When I go into town I have to pass a Toyota dealership that is across from Wally world. There is the prettiest Blue Toyota SUV on a pavilion next to the street that I have ever seen. I need to get me some horse blinders so that I don't see that thing when I pass because I am going to have a wreck turning my head looking at that beauty. It hurts bad to look, see, and want but cant buy. Toyota should be ashamed of itself for making the SUV's such a temptation ! If I had one it would be 10 years before it ever got dirt on it knowing the places I would take it.

Reactions: LostMayhem

LostMayhem

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maccione
Member #

When I go into town I have to pass a Toyota dealership that is across from Wally world. There is the prettiest Blue Toyota SUV on a pavilion next to the street that I have ever seen. I need to get me some horse blinders so that I don't see that thing when I pass because I am going to have a wreck turning my head looking at that beauty. It hurts bad to look, see, and want but cant buy. Toyota should be ashamed of itself for making the SUV's such a temptation ! If I had one it would be 10 years before it ever got dirt on it knowing the places I would take it.
I did some really tough negotiating and offered my Jeep as a trade in to get myself in this 4Runner. I know exactly what you mean - I really like the look of the Tacoma’s as well, but it didn’t solve my interior space issue . Hope you find some luck soon and end up in the drivers seat of that 4Runner!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I did some really tough negotiating and offered my Jeep as a trade in to get myself in this 4Runner. I know exactly what you mean - I really like the look of the Tacoma’s as well, but it didn’t solve my interior space issue . Hope you find some luck soon and end up in the drivers seat of that 4Runner!
It wont happen. I doubt I would out live the payments. I have 3 good toys that I use for my camping, depending on where I go. I have my old 13" Scamp trailer for maintained dirt roads that I pull with a 2008 Ford 4wd Escape daily driver. I have my 1984 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 pickup for bad roads, short trips and tent camping. Then I have my 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 that I will use for the long boondocking camp outs (this little girl will get you there and bring you back with change in your pocket) and cross country trail runs. So I am not without and I like all three vehicles , butttttttt you know how it is to see something and your stomach starts to turn over and over in agony with desire. When I was younger I had the same feeling for the right women ! :- )

LostMayhem

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maccione
Member #

It wont happen. I doubt I would out live the payments. I have 3 good toys that I use for my camping, depending on where I go. I have my old 13" Scamp trailer for maintained dirt roads that I pull with a 2008 Ford 4wd Escape daily driver. I have my 1984 Dodge Ram 250 4x4 pickup for bad roads, short trips and tent camping. Then I have my 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 that I will use for the long boondocking camp outs (this little girl will get you there and bring you back with change in your pocket) and cross country trail runs. So I am not without and I like all three vehicles , butttttttt you know how it is to see something and your stomach starts to turn over and over in agony with desire. When I was younger I had the same feeling for the right women ! :- )
Haha too true! I have been dying for a scamp - I think they are too cool! Got pics?

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Haha too true! I have been dying for a scamp - I think they are too cool! Got pics?
Just one pic in file. Not from the best angle but I will post more later since I am working on her now. Just finished lubing the inner and outer bearings, added new electrical on the pig tail to the car hook up, replaced a couple of gas lines that were leaking, checked out the gas stove and water heater and ordered new door seals and nut covers for the old bolt heads the were never covered, and new larger tires. It's a 1976 model. Still to order, new fantastic ceiling fan. Still to do, wire for solar, enlarge battery tray on back to hold two batteries, add a second propane bottle to the front, clean and paint the exterior to match my LRD2 which is a white gold with black trim. I need to pull up old carpet and lay in new vinyl or commercial indoor outdoor carpet. Lots of work is piling up and waiting for my legs to heal up from bad blood circulation. Doctor is just now given me antibiotics to clear up the severe rash and severe swelling in my legs below the knee to the tips of my toes after 4 months. They just delivered a machine that is supposed to bring back circulation to me legs today. VA doctors are sometime not quite there. They fear over medication so they just don't give you much at a time.

Attachments

LostMayhem

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maccione
Member #

Just one pic in file. Not from the best angle but I will post more later since I am working on her now. Just finished lubing the inner and outer bearings, added new electrical on the pig tail to the car hook up, replaced a couple of gas lines that were leaking, checked out the gas stove and water heater and ordered new door seals and nut covers for the old bolt heads the were never covered, and new larger tires. It's a 1976 model. Still to order, new fantastic ceiling fan. Still to do, wire for solar, enlarge battery tray on back to hold two batteries, add a second propane bottle to the front, clean and paint the exterior to match my LRD2 which is a white gold with black trim. I need to pull up old carpet and lay in new vinyl or commercial indoor outdoor carpet. Lots of work is piling up and waiting for my legs to heal up from bad blood circulation. Doctor is just now given me antibiotics to clear up the severe rash and severe swelling in my legs below the knee to the tips of my toes after 4 months. They just delivered a machine that is supposed to bring back circulation to me legs today. VA doctors are sometime not quite there. They fear over medication so they just don't give you much at a time.
That’s awesome - great disco also! Very jealous, I wish I had a Scamp to pull behind my new 4Runner

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That’s awesome - great disco also! Very jealous, I wish I had a Scamp to pull behind my new 4Runner
It's not fancy but it does the job. I want to put a lift kit on it and add shocks so I can boondock with it and save my Escape for just a daily driver. I just need to get back to work on both projects.

tchughes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Central Arkansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

I'm curious if anyone here with a 5th gen 4Runner is experiencing the steering wheel shake that happens around 60mph. I just bought a 2019 TRD ORP and had it in the shop (two weeks later) to see what they can do. Looking around the web it looks like this is a "THING", and a large number of people are having issues.

If you have experienced this, were you able to correct it? Did it go away when you lifted or changed tires? I'm happy with my 4Runner except for the shimmy it gets around 60 + or -. The dealership is telling me this is normal but are willing to keep working with me to try and correct.

I was just curious if others are having a similar issue. There are so many 5th gen builds out there but I haven't heard many people talk about this as an issue. I'm hoping that lifting or changing tires will fix. Looking forward to see what others have experienced.

Contributor II

Oregon, The Gorge
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Sletmoe
2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4.0
Bilstein 5100 front shocks set at 2.5 inches of lift with factory coils, no sway bar.
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks with Icon 2 inch springs.
255/85r16 Mastercraft Courser CXT
Custom hitch mounted swing out kitchen with recovery point.
Custom drawers/sleeping platform.
Run a variety of roof rack accessories depending on what we are doing.

No build thread yet.
image.jpg

C8AC6F7A-52C8-45CB-B68D-8A6FA704837F.jpegA8869351-AA2B-4AC5-8562-B1662068C38B.jpeg2D1CDCEC-8E9A-49E5-9AA5-8814EF6EEF5E.jpeg

Wlfhntr

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Gibraltar, Michigan, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Krause
Member #

I'm curious if anyone here with a 5th gen 4Runner is experiencing the steering wheel shake that happens around 60mph. I just bought a 2019 TRD ORP and had it in the shop (two weeks later) to see what they can do. Looking around the web it looks like this is a "THING", and a large number of people are having issues.

If you have experienced this, were you able to correct it? Did it go away when you lifted or changed tires? I'm happy with my 4Runner except for the shimmy it gets around 60 + or -. The dealership is telling me this is normal but are willing to keep working with me to try and correct.

I was just curious if others are having a similar issue. There are so many 5th gen builds out there but I haven't heard many people talk about this as an issue. I'm hoping that lifting or changing tires will fix. Looking forward to see what others have experienced.
I've been lucky with mine, still stock '19 TRD ORP (not quite 6K on odometer) and although I do sometimes get a slight shake @ 60 - 65 it is minor compared to others. There are several threads on T4R.org about it. Links to a couple: Steering Wheel vibration and Toyota Replacing 4 Runner. I know some have had luck with upgrading the suspension, from what I understand, the issue is happening with the SR5, TRD with and without KDSS, but not the TRD PRo with the Bilstein or Fox suspensions.
I'm planning on upgrading the suspension soon, so hopefully it goes smoothly.

tchughes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Central Arkansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

I've been lucky with mine, still stock '19 TRD ORP (not quite 6K on odometer) and although I do sometimes get a slight shake @ 60 - 65 it is minor compared to others. There are several threads on T4R.org about it. Links to a couple: Steering Wheel vibration and Toyota Replacing 4 Runner. I know some have had luck with upgrading the suspension, from what I understand, the issue is happening with the SR5, TRD with and without KDSS, but not the TRD PRo with the Bilstein or Fox suspensions.
I'm planning on upgrading the suspension soon, so hopefully it goes smoothly.
Thanks for the reply. I have had 4Runners forever and follow builds from a verity of generations, it surprised me when I hadn't heard of this. I would have expected it to be more widely talked about considering the number of 4Runners on the road these days. I have the Nitto Terra Grappler that come with the Off Road package and they are supposed to be run at 32 psi. I filled mine to 35 last night and noticed less vibration this morning. I'll give this a try for a few days and see what happens.
My plan is to eventually add a lift but I would like to get this "fixed" before doing that so as not to exaggerate the issue (if possible).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks for the reply. I have had 4Runners forever and follow builds from a verity of generations, it surprised me when I hadn't heard of this. I would have expected it to be more widely talked about considering the number of 4Runners on the road these days. I have the Nitto Terra Grappler that come with the Off Road package and they are supposed to be run at 32 psi. I filled mine to 35 last night and noticed less vibration this morning. I'll give this a try for a few days and see what happens.
My plan is to eventually add a lift but I would like to get this "fixed" before doing that so as not to exaggerate the issue (if possible).
I'd leave it the dealership and tell his to call me when it's fixed or send me a refund. I never heard of a problem with a new car that the dealer gave such sorry excuses, then tell you that you have to live wit it. BS for sure.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4.0
Bilstein 5100 front shocks set at 2.5 inches of lift with factory coils, no sway bar.
Bilstein 5100 rear shocks with Icon 2 inch springs.
255/85r16 Mastercraft Courser CXT
Custom hitch mounted swing out kitchen with recovery point.
Custom drawers/sleeping platform.
Run a variety of roof rack accessories depending on what we are doing.

No build thread yet.
View attachment 111397

View attachment 111389View attachment 111391View attachment 111392
What is your tire size, I like the proportionate size to your rig.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It’s listed in the post 255/85r16
I see that now, thanks. Well larger tires cost more and the best I could find on that sight was $130 for a tire my size. Wal Mart wanted more than $30 more for their tire my size. Your tires are listed at $202,75 each on the Walmart chart. see below.