US Rocky Mountain 3rd Annual Buena Vista June Jam (Colorado Front Range)

• HTML tutorial

Another Way Home

Rank II

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinewood Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Lincoln
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0FEK
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I am here, it’s about noon on the 2nd. Other than me and an unattended travel trailer just as you make the left to the spot off of 315, it’s pretty vacant.
Great! Thanks! I'll see you late morning tomorrow.

Reactions: darjo242

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
OK everyone. Listed camping area is confirmed.

I'd love to know when you arrive. I'm the oddball in the Red Avalanche. If for some reason I'm not there, look for Overland Bound flag and see if there is any info nearby.

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

I am here, it’s about noon on the 2nd. Other than me and an unattended travel trailer just as you make the left to the spot off of 315, it’s pretty vacant.
How was the ride in? Muddy after the weekends' rain?

Boort

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
How was the ride in? Muddy after the weekends' rain?

Boort
There was a couple puddles, nothing too nasty though.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Good thing I got here early. 2 guys in a red truck just rolled up asking when I was leaving so they could take over the area for a bachelor/bachelorette party weekend.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: TheBison and Boort

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Good thing I got here early. 2 guys in a red truck just rolled up asking when I was leaving so they could take over the area for a bachelor/bachelorette party weekend.
What'd they do when you told them we had 25 trucks coming?

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Told them if they got enough beer and food for at least 30 more people, they were welcome to stick around.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Did they move out of the area? I'd like to get some sleep at night.

Told them if they got enough beer and food for at least 30 more people, they were welcome to stick around.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

Thanks Neal for all of the offline info. First chance I've had to get onto the forums. Been crazy busy since we arrived in Denver a couple days ago.

We would love to connect with some of the OB folks in the Colorado area since we are here. If we do come it will probably be late Friday and we'll have to leave sometime on Saturday. I've got a meeting with Goose Gear on Sunday morning. Also depending on if Juniper Overland needs me on Friday or Saturday I might not be able to go. But we're definitely going to try. I'll text you if we're headed out that way.

Either way, we hope everyone has a blast, and hopefully see y'all there!

Eric Highland
Hourless Life
OB 14045

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Working Itinerary:

Thursday: Informal trail running / scouting

Friday 9:00 AM (Option 1): Trail run to Bald Mtn Loop via Big Sandy and Little Cottonwood Creek. <---(Click for GPX map)
Friday 1:00 PM (Option 2): North side of Fourmile Loop.

Friday 8:00 PM Informal campfire meet & greet.

Saturday 8:30 AM (Option 1): Trail run to Natural Bridge with 3/4 mile hike each way (500' elevation gain) to the bridge. After the hike, continue a loop through Fourmile Travel Mgmt Area reaching Bald Mtn Loop and returning via Big Sandy (time permitting). Line up behind @Iridium Blue Tacoma.

Saturday 9:00 AM (Option 2): Trail run to Bald Mtn Loop via Big Sandy and Little Cottonwood Creek. Line up behind @Neal A. Tew Red Chevrolet Avalanche

Saturday 9:30 AM (Option 3): Trail run to be decided.

Saturday 6:00 PM: "Rules of Threes" by @mcdefries at main camp area.
In this lesson we will go over the "Rule of Threes" for survival along with the psychology that is behind the survival. During this time I will ask individuals to share what they have on board their rigs. We will share our First Aid Kits, Fire set ups and safety, water systems, and kitchen set ups. These items will be paired with the lesson on the "Rule of Threes". We will also take a look at tool kits important to survival and off roading success.
Saturday TBD PM: Marcus Trusty, CORE Founder, to discuss efforts to keep trails open, maint projects, etc. At main camp area.

Sunday 9:00 AM: "Basics of Survival" by @mcdefries at main camp area.
During this lesson we will discuss the basics of survival: Fire building and techniques, Water procurement and purification, Shelters, and Ropes Lines and Knots. We will also discuss how to be prepared and ensure you will not get into a survival situation.
Sunday AM trail runs to be decided. Please see me for info. For those that have never been to Fourmile, I recommend you get in the Bald Mtn Loop series on Friday or Saturday. We could run again on Sunday if there is the demand.

This schedule is fluid and very subject to change!

Last edited:

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

It seems like I can make it happen for this weekend. Thinking about getting there on Saturday morning, or maybe Friday evening.

Anyone else leaving from the Denver are at any of those 2 times?

Reactions: Iridium

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
It seems like I can make it happen for this weekend. Thinking about getting there on Saturday morning, or maybe Friday evening.

Anyone else leaving from the Denver are at any of those 2 times?
Yea!

I just packed the wattmeter for testing your radio. Let's not forget to use it.

Reactions: trail_runn4r

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Yea!

I just packed the wattmeter for testing your radio. Let's not forget to use it.
Cool! My plan is still very fluid, I will make sure to keep you up to date.

And by the way I was able to get a brand new radio from Midland (still haven't tried it yet).