US Rocky Mountain 3rd Annual Buena Vista June Jam (Colorado Front Range)

• HTML tutorial

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Something like this. You may already have it and not realize it.

Most of the handheld radios available today will work. Post your make and model number here if you have something and we'll look it up to be sure.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Latest info (pasted from event page):

Rally Point Notes:

June Jam Season 3 is an early season meetup for fellowship with mostly mild to moderate runs.

We're gathering a little early this year so we may not have the high mountain tracks available. If your primary interest is running the likes of Tincup & Hancock Passes or Mt. Antero, be sure to check out this event later in the year which is dedicated to just that: Miner's Loop. (EVENT IS FULL)

The anticipated vehicle count will require us to break into 2-3 groups for the trail runs. The tentative plan (group size permitting) is to camp and do a majority of the trail runs in the FourMile Travel Mgmt Area. Most of the trails in this area are pretty easy, but still scenic and fun. There is a particular run I like to take noobs on to expose them to rocks and shelf roads. If someone does want to go for something harder, we would endeavor to accommodate you. Trail info below.

Tentative Programs
Saturday TBD: Colorado Off-Road Enterprises (CORE)
CORE Founder, Marcus Trusty, to discuss efforts to keep our trails open, etc.
Saturday Evening: "Rule of Threes" by @mcdefries
In this lesson we will go over the "Rule of Threes" for survival along with the psychology that is behind the survival. During this time I will ask individuals to share what they have on board their rigs. We will share our First Aid Kits, Fire set ups and safety, water systems, and kitchen set ups. These items will be paired with the lesson on the "Rule of Threes". We will also take a look at tool kits important to survival and off roading success.
Sunday Morning: Basics of Survival by @mcdefries
During this lesson we will discuss the basics of survival: Fire building and techniques, Water procurement and purification, Shelters, and Ropes Lines and Knots. We will also discuss how to be prepared and ensure you will not get into a survival situation.
The official event start time is listed for Friday, but some, including myself, will probably arrive on Thursday to secure a main camp area. The tentative plan is to use the same campsite as years past. This is subject to change. Please follow the associated forum thread for updates.

This event is looking to have twice as many families as last year. As a result, we probably need to lay out some ground rules and expectations. For starters, since I fill the Rocky Mountain Director position, I want to make it clear that this is NOT an official Overland Bound event. I've spearheaded this event simply for the fun of it. I love the trails, camping, and making friends with you. I'm a volunteer receiving no compensation other than an occasional t-shirt and hat. By participating in this event you realize that you accept all responsibility for your party and their welfare.

June Jam is intended to be a family friendly event. I ask that all public language and topics be G-rated. If you like to have an adult beverage at camp, please don't let it be obvious to everyone. Last year we got a little rowdy at the campfire. I think we made some parents uncomfortable. I still feel terrible about that. Since we're on the subject of alcohol, it should go without saying that none should be consumed while on the trail runs.

Camping is dispersed with NO facilities. Please be prepared with your own bathroom arrangements. I encourage you to have something to use besides the woods. (A five gallon bucket, trash bags, and kitty litter works great.)

Camping is tentatively planned for the same area as previous years. However, we have more than twice the vehicle count as last year so it could be interesting. This is a popular spot and could have some RVs and ATVers around. The early arrivals will try to secure the main area and we'll spread out from there. Plan for having neighbors and try to leave room between you and the next guy to squeeze in late arrivals. Try to save the clear flat areas for those using ground tents. Practice Tread Lightly and avoid driving/parking on vegetation.

Let's have camp quiet time from 9PM - 6AM. Feel free to stay up late and enjoy the camp fire (bring wood if you have it), but speak softly because your voice travels an penetrates a tent easily. We may have wives and kids, etc, that really need their sleep so that dad can get them to come next time. :D

BE SURE TO WATCH THE ASSOCIATED FORUM THREAD FOR ANY LAST MINUTE UPDATES, ESPECIALLY ON THE CAMPING SITUATION. Be sure to let us know if you will be a night arrival so we'll know to watch for you. Feel free to text me at 719.248.0936.

TENTATIVE TRAIL OPTIONS (more coming soon)
Easy:
Big Sandy
Lenhardy Cutoff
Natural Bridge
Little Cottonwood Creek
Moderate:
Bald Mountain Gulch
Bald Mountain Loop
Mount Princeton
Difficult:
Chinaman Gulch
Severe:
Grizzly Lake
Photos:
2020 June Jam
2019 June Jam

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Since we're going to need about 4 trail groups, is anyone interested in one group doing something harder such as Chinaman's Gulch. ? Please raise your hand ASAP.

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

Since we\'re going to need about 4 trail groups, is anyone interested in one group doing something harder such as Chinaman\'s Gulch. ? Please raise your hand ASAP.
I’ve been told by others that Chinaman gulch may be too much for my rig if I want to avoid damage. Probably won’t have my skid plates installed by then.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Neal A. Tew
We are coming up Thursday evening. Will you be on comms to confirm location when we are in range?
Anything we can bring or do to support the group?
Thanks,
Dave
I will try to monitor GMRS 15 while in camp. Texting me an ETA to 719.248.0936 is a good way to help us watch for you.

As far as cell phone comms go, SMS text messaging often works when nothing else will.

Dave Purvis

Rank VII

Creator II

Elizabeth, Colorado, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Purvis
Member #

@Neal A. Tew
We are coming up Thursday evening. Will you be on comms to confirm location when we are in range?
Anything we can bring or do to support the group?
Thanks,
Dave
I will try to monitor GMRS 15 while in camp. Texting me an ETA to 719.248.0936 is a good way to help us watch for you.

As far as cell phone comms go, SMS text messaging often works when nothing else will.
Copy, thanks! Let us know if we can bring or do anything to support!!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Here's the Google Street view of the tentative camp site courtesy of @JCarter from JJ 2019.

Camp site

Here's the satellite view. Ideally, we'll be headquartered in the area of the blue dots. It's not visible from the road:

Satellite View

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave Purvis

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We are planning on arriving, 8 am. Saturday morning. To be a part of the trail activities for the day. Camp overnight. Looking forward to hanging out with new and old friends. Going to head out first thing Sunday morning. Hoping to make some plans to join others for more adventures during the summer months.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Pushed my departure day back to Sunday, going to spend an extra day in Salida so I will be at the spot Wednesday Around noon.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Do any of you modified guys have any interest in running Grizzly Lake? Latest report has it as open and dangerous slope repaired.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW