Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

The OP does mention regearing to 4.10.

I don't see the point in spending $3000 to regear, and then settling for just 4.10's. For perspective, the F550 I drove last week had 4.56 gears with the stock size DRW tires. Don't fear the gear. It might be worthwhile to research what Dodges 4500/5500 are using for gears.

Now that I read that you have a trailer involved, I recommend modding the trailers to have a mount for a 37'' spare. Put your trucks spare on the trailer instead, keep a 35 in the stock location. If these trailers are large, I recommend dropping down to just 35'' tires.

I wouldn't use a hitch mounted carrier, if I was towing more than 2 jet ski's. If the 37 must be mounted to the rear of the truck, I'd go with a custom bumper that holds that tire very high over the bumper. Based on the assumption that your trailer is even, or lower than your rear bumper. Can hang off as far as you need, if it's over the trailer.

If I go the travel trailer route, I'm adding another tire carrier to the rear bumper of the trailer.
Trailer mounting isn’t and option. I tow boats, not those little off-road overland trailers. I pull the bass boat in my profile pic all over the southeast. I also have a center console I charter in south Florida. So the spare need to stay on the truck.

I did mention rehearing yes. I say I will be regearing, not “should I regear?”

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Do you know the brand? Might save me some time googling. The other concern is how far the tire sticks out behind the truck cause issues swinging out the tire to drop the tailgate if the trailer is hooked up. It could also be a problem making tight turns and the front of the trailer hits the spare tire.
This seems like the best way for my needs, but I’m just trying to cover all the bases.
I use the Wilco brand.

From their website they say -The Hitchgate Solo line is tow-rated at 7,500 lbs (max trailer weight) and 750 lbs (tongue weight). *These limits may be more than your vehicle’s capacity. ALWAYS stay within the limits of your vehicles tow/tongue ratings)*

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Bummer. My boat trailer had room on the front tongue area for spares.

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
I was able to squeeze a 37”x12.5” BFG in the factory location on my f150.
Not sure how much space is available on the 2500 dodges though

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

stuffed in indeed. Are you able to turn the tires and compress the suspension without digging into the foot-well?

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
For my Ram 1500 I reached out to Expedition One. They said they’d have a version of their dual swing out rear bumper in the next couple of weeks. A little pricey, but the 2500 version will hold a 40” spare and 4 roto packs or 2 nato scepter cans.
I just looked at this swingout bumper. Really nice. Your right though, pricey.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
I would also like to chime in on the gearing issue.....

Yes, the Ram Cummins has plenty of torque to power through 37s, even when towing. However, it would not be the best setup. Especially if running the 68re transmission.
The stock 3 42s do well with the stock 34ish tires. But I have been running 285/75-18s (35x11.50s) for 3 years and you definitely notice the lugging.
I also want to step up to 37s, but will not do so with out swapping gears to something like 4.50s.
With all this said, keep in mind that I tow a 10k toyhauler and a 17k backhoe. This would be a good middle ground for my situation.

Reactions: Wile_Coyote

19mystic96

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Pacifica, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
that's honestly impressive! how hard was it to make it fit?
It’s definitely a tight fit. I didn’t have to cut anything but i partially deflated the tire to allow it to suck into the spot better. it’s not hitting the diff but I wanted to make sure there was extra clearance under hard off roading. that way it would have room in case it moved a bit. I carry (always have) a viair compressor you air up when I get back onto pavement so It’s not a problem for me to air up the spare tire if I needed it

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

For my Ram 1500 I reached out to Expedition One. They said they’d have a version of their dual swing out rear bumper in the next couple of weeks. A little pricey, but the 2500 version will hold a 40” spare and 4 roto packs or 2 nato scepter cans.
Exp1 is my first choice with the Denali Package for my Ram 1500, I also like Wilco Offroad's Tailgate options as well.