Staff member
Mod Team

Traveler III

Florida, USA
First Name
randy
Last Name
g
and this is exactly why we needed a full size forum it is however a shame we are still getting advice for smaller rigs but oh well lol

Reactions: Salty4Life

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
and this is exactly why we needed a full size forum it is however a shame we are still getting advice for smaller rigs but oh well lol
Have you look at the current mid size trucks, same as older full size trucks, most come in at over 4.5klbs, 130" wheel base.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

Maybe if the OP would have stated he had a full size with a diesel engine, he wouldn't have received any suggestions. He gave very little information to begin the thread.

Docrandy

Rank III
Staff member
Mod Team

Traveler III

Florida, USA
First Name
randy
Last Name
g
Maybe if the OP would have stated he had a full size with a diesel engine, he wouldn't have received any suggestions. He gave very little information to begin the thread.
well he posted it in the full size forum so that tells you he has a full size truck and you can see in his profile picture that its a 3/4 ton so....

Reactions: grubworm

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

well he posted it in the full size forum so that tells you he has a full size truck and you can see in his profile picture that its a 3/4 ton so....
So, having a 3/4 tone makes it automatically a diesel.

got it, that makes sense.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

ohhh, it's a torque monster. Why even ask about gearing?

Something else regarding your truck, if it came with 34" tires, those are definitely not stock tires. The largest tire the Ram trucks install on your 2018 model year are the 285/60R20, which equates to 33.5. You're already starting off under-geared for the truck's stated specifications.

Given that you have a large diesel engine, why re-gear, as you have stated in your first post?
First, I’m used to having the details of my truck in my profile or signature on other forums so I’m sorry if I forget to list out everything on every post.
Second , I did say approximately 34 (~=approximate) so I’m not going to argue with you over a 1/2 inch, I’m not your wife.
Third, the reason to regear is not just for low end torque on these trucks, but also to save the trans when towing at highway speeds.
Lastly, why TF are you going on about weather or not a regear is necessary when all I asked about was how to practically carry a 37” spare.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

The tailgate carrier is interesting if I can still use my trailer hitch to pull trailers while carrying the spare.
When I’m off fishing tournaments I like to camp at state parks. Most of the time they are right on the lake with a boat ramp and electric near buy to charge the boat.
Because of where the lakes are and how far I need to drive, a full size spare is mandatory. Two spares would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

Docrandy

Rank III
Staff member
Mod Team

Traveler III

Florida, USA
First Name
randy
Last Name
g
The tailgate carrier is interesting if I can still use my trailer hitch to pull trailers while carrying the spare.
When I’m off fishing tournaments I like to camp at state parks. Most of the time they are right on the lake with a boat ramp and electric near buy to charge the boat.
Because of where the lakes are and how far I need to drive, a full size spare is mandatory. Two spares would be nice but not absolutely necessary.
I know there are a few tailgate carriers that allow you to still tow and I believe a couple that will hold 2 tires up to 37 or 4 if you need to haul a gooseneck or 5th wheel they do make one that I know of that will carry 1 tires

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I know there are a few tailgate carriers that allow you to still tow and I believe a couple that will hold 2 tires up to 37 or 4 if you need to haul a gooseneck or 5th wheel they do make one that I know of that will carry 1 tires
Do you know the brand? Might save me some time googling. The other concern is how far the tire sticks out behind the truck cause issues swinging out the tire to drop the tailgate if the trailer is hooked up. It could also be a problem making tight turns and the front of the trailer hits the spare tire.
This seems like the best way for my needs, but I’m just trying to cover all the bases.

Wile_Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Fe, NM, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
da Gearhead
Member #

First, I’m used to having the details of my truck in my profile or signature on other forums so I’m sorry if I forget to list out everything on every post.
Second , I did say approximately 34 (~=approximate) so I’m not going to argue with you over a 1/2 inch, I’m not your wife.
Third, the reason to regear is not just for low end torque on these trucks, but also to save the trans when towing at highway speeds.
Lastly, why TF are you going on about weather or not a regear is necessary when all I asked about was how to practically carry a 37” spare.
Well, since you asked.

In this thread, you asked about re-gearing for 37" tires, but failed to list the details regarding the truck that the re-gearing would be applied towards. This lack of information allows any person who reads this thread to assume any type of "full size" vehicle, including those that have gas engines.

Glad you're not going to argue about a 1/2 difference in tire size, and you do sound like most wives, complaining about past mistakes.

You are correct when it comes to the reason for re-gearing a vehicle; to save the transmission from the abuse of larger tires, over a longer period of time. As you know, any vehicle that spends it's life towing (or with larger tires and no re-gear) has a harder life on the transmission. Good for you for taking a proactive approach towards taking care of your truck.

Why TF am I going on what "weather" (are you talking about the local weather there, or should you be saying "whether", HERE, I'll help you out on this complex and confusing term) or not a re-gear is necessary, when all you asked about was how to practically carry a 37" spare? Maybe you should go back and re-read your initial post about "I’m wanting to make the jump to 37s after I regear to 4.10. How do those running 37s carry a spare? The Baja style chase rack with two tires in the bed isn’t really practical for my needs". There is a direct correlation between gears and 37" tires. It seems you already know what you are doing, so why even ask? You've got it all figured out, right? Oh wait, I used a big word there, correlation, here is more help for you: correlation - Google Search

Docrandy

Rank III
Staff member
Mod Team

Traveler III

Florida, USA
First Name
randy
Last Name
g
Well, since you asked.

In this thread, you asked about re-gearing for 37" tires, but failed to list the details regarding the truck that the re-gearing would be applied towards. This lack of information allows any person who reads this thread to assume any type of "full size" vehicle, including those that have gas engines.

Glad you're not going to argue about a 1/2 difference in tire size, and you do sound like most wives, complaining about past mistakes.

You are correct when it comes to the reason for re-gearing a vehicle; to save the transmission from the abuse of larger tires, over a longer period of time. As you know, any vehicle that spends it's life towing (or with larger tires and no re-gear) has a harder life on the transmission. Good for you for taking a proactive approach towards taking care of your truck.

Why TF am I going on what "weather" (are you talking about the local weather there, or should you be saying "whether", HERE, I'll help you out on this complex and confusing term) or not a re-gear is necessary, when all you asked about was how to practically carry a 37" spare? Maybe you should go back and re-read your initial post about "I’m wanting to make the jump to 37s after I regear to 4.10. How do those running 37s carry a spare? The Baja style chase rack with two tires in the bed isn’t really practical for my needs". There is a direct correlation between gears and 37" tires. It seems you already know what you are doing, so why even ask? You've got it all figured out, right? Oh wait, I used a big word there, correlation, here is more help for you: correlation - Google Search
dude seriously give it up! and go read the original post! he NEVER asked about regearing his truck! please don't post in this subforum if you are not going to be helpful and are going to give bad advice based on smaller vehicles!

Docrandy

Rank III
Staff member
Mod Team

Traveler III

Florida, USA
First Name
randy
Last Name
g
Do you know the brand? Might save me some time googling. The other concern is how far the tire sticks out behind the truck cause issues swinging out the tire to drop the tailgate if the trailer is hooked up. It could also be a problem making tight turns and the front of the trailer hits the spare tire.
This seems like the best way for my needs, but I’m just trying to cover all the bases.
this is the one I am looking at getting its not cheap but it is also a full bumper as well

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
4.30 for diesel. 4.88 for gas HD trucks. Don't forget lockers when you regear. Yukon Grizz up front, selectable rear.

You can put a 35" tire in the Fords stock location. If it's air'd up, and your 37's are low............ You can also putthe 35 on the front and rotate a 37 to the rear of you lose a rear tire. I plan on having a hitch mounted tire carrier, and a 35 under the truck.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
The OP does mention regearing to 4.10.

I don't see the point in spending $3000 to regear, and then settling for just 4.10's. For perspective, the F550 I drove last week had 4.56 gears with the stock size DRW tires. Don't fear the gear. It might be worthwhile to research what Dodges 4500/5500 are using for gears.

Now that I read that you have a trailer involved, I recommend modding the trailers to have a mount for a 37'' spare. Put your trucks spare on the trailer instead, keep a 35 in the stock location. If these trailers are large, I recommend dropping down to just 35'' tires.

I wouldn't use a hitch mounted carrier, if I was towing more than 2 jet ski's. If the 37 must be mounted to the rear of the truck, I'd go with a custom bumper that holds that tire very high over the bumper. Based on the assumption that your trailer is even, or lower than your rear bumper. Can hang off as far as you need, if it's over the trailer.

If I go the travel trailer route, I'm adding another tire carrier to the rear bumper of the trailer.

Last edited: