2WD Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

GreyWolf

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Springtown Texas
Member #

Well your going about it the right way. Dont rush woth your build, you may buy something you never use, or regret later on down the road. Really see what are wants and needs:grimacing: you'll do fine bud.

T

The Raven

A couple points

1. I never travel anywhere where I need 4wd, just have it as a tool that is available when necessary like my winch. I have been all over the east coast from SC to Labrador. Honestly having the right tires and knowing how to drive trumps any fancy setup. Many "overloaders" feel you need tons of clearance, gear and giant tires. You don't.

2. If you have the $$, take a class at OEX and they will teach you some tricks to use that will boost your confidence and show you your vehicles abilities.

Reactions: Justin Roach

Justin Roach

Rank I

Traveler I

A couple points

1. I never travel anywhere where I need 4wd, just have it as a tool that is available when necessary like my winch. I have been all over the east coast from SC to Labrador. Honestly having the right tires and knowing how to drive trumps any fancy setup. Many "overloaders" feel you need tons of clearance, gear and giant tires. You don't.

2. If you have the $$, take a class at OEX and they will teach you some tricks to use that will boost your confidence and show you your vehicles abilities.
Where would you recommend going in the east? I was possibly planning a trip to the Mohawk State Forrest in MA later this month but that's less of an overland trip on more of a typically camping trip.

T

The Raven

Where would you recommend going in the east? I was possibly planning a trip to the Mohawk State Forrest in MA later this month but that's less of an overland trip on more of a typically camping trip.
Western and central Maine is always has good spots. Not familiar with Mohawk. It's important to remember that overland is no longer about epic trips to far off places, its been gentrified and commercilized to include all vehicles that travel and all camping. It's only a camping trip if you use the cheapest gear lol or use anything but a car to get to the destination. In any case, check out the I-Overlander app for some options.

Last edited by a moderator:

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

My old rig was 2wd, had a 6 inch lift with 35's and a mechanical locker in the rear and it kept up with all of my buddies with 4wd (within reason of course). The only times I ever had issues where I wanted 4wd was when I had to go through rocks and in the snow. The best way to improve the 2wd platform in my opinion is gunna be better tires, ground clearance (lift) and recovery gear. Why buy recovery gear if you're not gunna use it, right? If you keep to easier/mild trails you should be fine, you just might need to use a little more speed to get over obstacles than you would with 4wd. Also a big thing is knowing your limits, once you start getting out there and pushing yourself and the rig youll know where the limit for your rig is.

38993_420064574633_5334698_n.jpg 295947_10151135987414634_864252595_n.jpg

Justin Roach

Rank I

Traveler I

My old rig was 2wd, had a 6 inch lift with 35's and a mechanical locker in the rear and it kept up with all of my buddies with 4wd (within reason of course). The only times I ever had issues where I wanted 4wd was when I had to go through rocks and in the snow. The best way to improve the 2wd platform in my opinion is gunna be better tires, ground clearance (lift) and recovery gear. Why buy recovery gear if you're not gunna use it, right? If you keep to easier/mild trails you should be fine, you just might need to use a little more speed to get over obstacles than you would with 4wd. Also a big thing is knowing your limits, once you start getting out there and pushing yourself and the rig youll know where the limit for your rig is.

View attachment 30965 View attachment 30966
Thanks! I'm thinking about a 3" with ~32s but need to gain more camping and off-road experience before I can justify the investment.