US Rocky Mountain 2nd Annual Buena Vista June Jam (Colorado Front Range)

• HTML tutorial

What would be your first choice for trail run departure times on Sat & Sun?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
**Trail Report**
6/21/2020
**Reminder, never drive around debris or snow!**
*Please read the full report*
Cottonwood Pass - Open
Independence Pass - Open
Hayden Pass - Open
Medano Pass - Open
Marshal Pass - Open
Old Monarch Pass - Open
All of Fourmile North - Open
All of Fourmile South - Open
Aspen Ridge - Open
Chinaman Gulch - Open
Carnage Canyon - Open
Mount Princeton - Open **Closed 6/22-6/26 for maintenance**
Mineral Basin - Open
Ptarmigan Lake - Open
Tincup Pass - Open
Hancock Pass - Open to above treeline (St. Elmo Side), open to just below the summit (Pitkin Side)
Pomeroy Lake - Open
Cumberland Pass - Open
Hancock Lake - Open
Grizzly Lake - Open
Mount Antero - Open
Baldwin Lake - Open
Clohesy Lake - Open
Lost Canyon - Open
Champion Mill - Open
Boss Reservoir - Open
Middle Fork - Open
North Fork - Open
Tomichi Pass - Open to just below the summit (White Pine side), open to treeline (Hancock side).
**We report on, and around, our adopted trails first. If we get credible information concerning other popular trails, we will include them in future reports. If you don't see a trail listed, we don't have a conditions report or you simply can't get to the trailhead yet. These reports are from first-hand accounts and are accurate on the day published. 'Open with snow on the road' means, to get to the point in the update you have to drive, on the trail, through the snow. This is not recommended for stock vehicles, know your limits. Conditions are constantly changing. If/when you venture out, do not go off-trail to go around snow. Stay the Trail at all times.**
***Travel at your own risk, conditions can change. This is only an informational post. You are responsible for your own vehicle and your actions***

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
AGENDA:

Following is a link to the tentative camping area. Use google navigation and it'll take you right to us. This is the same as last year. (Please watch this thread as it is subject to change!)

Thanks to @JCarter here is a Google Street View of the camping area:

We should have a few guys there to secure the site on Thursday. If we get the right spot we won't be visible from the road. Go to the exact coordinates and look for an OLB flag. Text me on the way in and we'll look for you. There are no amenities except a view. Cell service is marginal, but you can usually walk to the overlook and it improves.

At least 10 trucks are expected by mid-day on Friday. Let's try to get in a Friday afternoon run to depart at 2 PM. Since it's a late start, we may just stick to the Fourmile Travel Mgmt Area for a couple easy trails.

If you want to make the Friday run and you're cutting it close on time, don't hesitate to text me at 719.248.0936. Also, if you're not used to doing shelf roads and they make you uncomfortable, please don't hesitate to let me know and we'll figure something out. I want you to have a good time. We will do our best to make sure that happens. Don't be bashful.

We have a big day planned for Saturday. We're looking at about 15 trucks and splitting into 2 groups. It will likely take 7 - 8 hours. If this is too much for you, again please don't be bashful. Speak up and we'll make adjustments. You may not be alone. The sooner I know the better. We might have a long day group and a short day group.

The main Saturday objective is the St Elmo Ghost Town to Tincup Ghost Town via Tincup Pass. (We'll be taking the easy route that doesn't require the permit. Don't stress the difficult rating. Keep in mind I'm driving a stock full size Chevy.) We'll probably spend a few minutes at St. Elmo and 30 minutes or more at Tincup as desired. From Tincup we'll take Cumberland Pass to Pitkin. Normally those traveling this loop (sometimes called the Miner's Run or Miner's Loop) would take Hancock Pass back to St. Elmo, but as of now Hancock hasn't been cleared. We have the option of either taking the main road back around the mountain or to continue the backcountry trek via Waunita Pass, Black Sage Pass and Old Monarch Pass. Maybe an early group to depart at 8 AM and a 2nd at 9 AM?

We'll talk around camp and on the radio about what to run on Sunday. Maybe Mount Antero?

Speaking of radio, we'll likely do most of our comms on GMRS 15. Let me know if you're not familiar with this and we'll get you hooked up.
Ham radio ops, I'll probably scan 146.460 simplex, 449.975 -5Mhz 100 tone, 146.745 -600hz 100 tone.

What do you all think? Feedback appreciated!

Last edited:

Zappe

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Dacono, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Dean
Member #

AGENDA:

Following is a link to the tentative camping area. Use google navigation and it'll take you right to us. This is the same as last year.
(Please watch this thread as it is subject to change!)

We should have a few guys there to secure the site on Thursday. If we get the right spot we won't be visible from the road. Go to the exact coordinates and look for an OLB flag. Text me on the way in and we'll look for you. There are no amenities except a view. Cell service is marginal, but you can usually walk to the overlook and it improves.

At least 10 trucks are expected by mid-day on Friday. Let's try to get in a Friday afternoon run to depart at 2 PM. Since it's a late start, we may just stick to the Fourmile Travel Mgmt Area for a couple easy trails.

If you want to make the Friday run and you're cutting it close on time, don't hesitate to text me at 719.248.0936. Also, if you're not used to doing shelf roads and they make you uncomfortable, please don't hesitate to let me know and we'll figure something out. I want you to have a good time. We will do our best to make sure that happens. Don't be bashful.

We have a big day planned for Saturday. We're looking at about 15 trucks and splitting into 2 groups. It will likely take 7 - 8 hours. If this is too much for you, again please don't be bashful. Speak up and we'll make adjustments. You may not be alone. The sooner I know the better. We might have a long day group and a short day group.

The main Saturday objective is the St Elmo Ghost Town to Tincup Ghost Town via Tincup Pass. (We'll be taking the easy route that doesn't require the permit. Don't stress the difficult rating. Keep in mind I'm driving a stock full size Chevy.) We'll probably spend a few minutes at St. Elmo and 30 minutes or more at Tincup as desired. From Tincup we'll take Cumberland Pass to Pitkin. Normally those traveling this loop (sometimes called the Miner's Run or Miner's Loop) would take Hancock Pass back to St. Elmo, but as of now Hancock hasn't been cleared. We have the option of either taking the main road back around the mountain or to continue the backcountry trek via Waunita Pass, Black Sage Pass and Old Monarch Pass. Maybe an early group to depart at 8 AM and a 2nd at 9 AM?

We'll talk around camp and on the radio about what to run on Sunday. Maybe Mount Antero?

Speaking of radio, we'll likely do most of our comms on GMRS 15. Let me know if you're not familiar with this and we'll get you hooked up.
Ham radio ops, I'll probably scan 146.460 simplex, 449.975 -5Mhz 100 tone, 146.745 -600hz 100 tone.

What do you all think? Feedback appreciated!
That sounds awesome! I’ve been looking forward to seeing St Elmo and Tincup Pass! Looking forward to meeting everyone that’s new to me.

• Love
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Sounds awesome. No GMRS here though, I have a HAM and a CB in my Jeep.
As much as I like ham and prefer to use it, the reality is that most will have GMRS and nothing else so we end up going with that. We often put ham at front and rear because of the superior range just-in-case.

There will be a couple loaners I'm sure, but if you have the budget you might consider adding GMRS. The new mobile rigs are great, but most have the handhelds.

Reactions: Aeroscout

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
So far, the provided coordinates are still the plan. There are a couple trucks here, but I don't see any camping gear only ATV stuff.

When your navigation runs out continue up the hill a couple hundred feet and turn left onto 315B. Follow that in while bearing to the left looking for my red Avalanche with an OLB banner.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Neal A. Tew @JDGreens
@Neal A. Tew

Planning on attending, though there is "stuff" unfolding at work that may interfere. I should know what's up the weekend before.
Sorry i forgot to post earlier. I'm gonna have to scratch that earlier optimism. Working today and tomorrow. (with the crazy going on at work have not gotten the rig ready either.)
Hope all have a great time!

Boort

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Well almost made it. Lost a u joint in Salida and trashed the t case. Maybe next time.
If you change your mind and want to ride along, the offer is still open. We're not not very far away!