US West 2023 Usal-Redwoods-Klamath

• HTML tutorial

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI

Friday-Sunday family trip. Out to Usal Beach on Friday, quick tour of the Redwoods on Saturday ending on the side of the Klamath River, optional Fern Canyon side trip on Sunday morning, optionally followed by lunch at the Samoa Cookhouse. This is a tried and true winner for newcomers and beach lovers alike. Sunday is a bit of a drive home, but for those able to handle the day there are optional side trips to Fern Canyon and Samoa Cookhouse. The terrain is fairly easy (high clearance).

IceIceBaby42

Rank VII

World Traveler I

Santa Clara, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Friday-Sunday family trip. Out to Usal Beach on Friday, quick tour of the Redwoods on Saturday ending on the side of the Klamath River, optional Fern Canyon side trip on Sunday morning, optionally followed by lunch at the Samoa Cookhouse. This is a tried and true winner for newcomers and beach lovers alike. Sunday is a bit of a drive home, but for those able to handle the day there are optional side trips to Fern Canyon and Samoa Cookhouse. The terrain is fairly easy (high clearance).

I will meeting up with you guys a little later in the evening. Need to work till about noon. Bringing two bundles of wood.

Reactions: ProtonDecay

alka

Rank II

Enthusiast II

California, USA
First Name
Naveen
Last Name
Alka
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SSU
Just realized that the Friday morning meetup is not the usual Pleasanton McDonald's parking lot, anyone starting from the east bay area or else I might just wanna tag long with Jesse @IceIceBaby42

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Hello All,

Hope you all are looking forward to going on the trip this weekend as much as your organizers (Tom, Sara, Janet, Derek)! Here are a few quick notes about the trip that we hope you'll find useful:

1) Our official meetup spot is in the southeast corner of the parking lot of the Rohnert Park Costco at 8:45 a.m. on Friday. Feel free to group up on the way with others from your area. If you are coming from San Jose/Santa Clara and want to group up we are leaving 6am from 300 Manzanita Avenue, Santa Clara (off of 280/Saratoga). Here's a satellite view courtesy of Tom: Costco Satellite Vew.png

2) Your "leaders" are pretty chill, and also pretty slow on the interstates (like 60mph), so after we get a count of vehicles at the start feel free to go on ahead after letting us know where you'll wait for us. If you get to "camp" first, feel free to stake out the most primo campsites for the group ( e.g. I think people really liked the "Redwoods" campsite at Usal, but that might be taken). Also, feel free to stop along the way and catch back up - if you get lost or need any help and can't raise us on 146.460 MHz please try my cell - 408-480-9583. I'll have Starlink on (ID RiehlWorld, PW RiehlFamily) and will be able to receive your call as long as we can "see" the northern sky. Here's a quick shot of the Redwoods site:
20220409_071811.jpg

3) Early word on Usal Road is that it is fairly passable to just before the beach, but that the "puddles" at the edge are deeper than they've ever been, so use caution if going out (we'll camp this side of them as several of our vehicles have limited fording depth). No word on Klamath, but be prepared for higher than usual water or changes in the bank forcing us to alter our campsite plans. Here's our site as of October:
20221005_Klamath Resized.jpg

4) We'll likely have fires both nights, as temps will get down into the 40's at night and there is a chance of showers on Sunday morning. Please bring wood or buy along the way.

5) Have a look at the map. Lots of optional side trips are available, especially on Sunday for those able to spend the time.

6) Please let us know of any special needs or celebrations you'd like us to note and we'll do our best to accommodate.

7) Don't be shy about questions/concerns - this is an easy trip and may be the first for several or the first this season :-)

Cheers,

Derek

IceIceBaby42

Rank VII

World Traveler I

Santa Clara, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Jesse
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Hey all, I will be meeting up with a few OB members around 1p in Navato. I am actually planning on staying Friday and Saturday night at Usal. So I will stay behind while most of you carry on. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow evening and will be bringing fireworks to celebrate the occasion. Safe and Sane of course!

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Whew! Glad Ben and team were able to fix his oil line. Eight rigs back by the bridge, four more on the beach ( I think).

Official departure is 9am today. Unofficially, if you are up for a short hike we'll be meeting at the large pullout just south of the bridge for a 1/2 mile hike into the Enchanted Forest.

First stop this morning is the pullout just after turning left onto Highway 1 off of Usal Rd. Second stop is the Humboldt Redwoods State Park Visitor Center.

Or, as always, leave when you want, go where you want and we'll leave a light on for you at camp tonight alongside the Klamath.

Cheers

Derek