Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Heinze
Member #

It’s going to be interesting what people do with these trucks. FX4 seems to offer nice off-road equipment like skids, rear locker, and better shocks. Sucks we won’t get the Raptor but I bet it wouldn’t be too hard to fix Fox shocks and other Raptor bits of you wanted.

I’m impressed with the towing and payload numbers - esp with a turbo 4.

I think it should have most of the kinks worked out since Ford has been selling this truck in other parts of the world for a while now.

Good luck!!

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I saw one on the road a couple of days ago. Not a bad looking truck. Doesn't look like there's an off road package other than the FX, which is basically a bedside sticker, and it's going to be hard to find an aftermarket, especially initially.

I see you drive a Tacoma. Coming from a family who owns nothing but Fords (grandfather retired from a Ford plant), I would never trade a Toyota for a Ford :wink:

Eric Neal

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Atlanta, GA
Member #

I believe the lack of aftermarket options will end up being a disappointment to a lot of new buyers... there has been so much media hype about this "new Ranger" with the intent to attract buyers - not doubt it has been working. But I have to admit that my '02 Ranger has been a real workhorse and so very capable - came with skid plates, sliders, 4x4 package and heavier suspension, etc. Some limitations however: the torsion bar (IFS) suspension and a moderately adequate 4.0 L V6 engine, oh and, of course, the LSD rear end...

But I got the vehicle at a STEAL several years ago and have had nothing but success whenever I go overlanding out west or here in Appalachia. A turn-off for me with the newer Ranger is the dual cab (4 doors) since I don't really care for the longer wheelbase for much of the stuff I like to do. But my trips are typically me and wife or solo so I have no use for a second seat when wheeling and camping.

Reactions: JButtress

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I got to drive one for a bit at a drive event last year.
Very comfortable front seats and enough room in the rear for adults on a short trip.
The engine was very peppy, more than I thought.

I’m looking to buy a new truck sometime this year and the Ranger and Jeep Gladiator are on my short list.

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
I like the new ranger and also the jeep gladiator. The hard part for me is how expensive these "mid-sized" trucks are. If you shop hard enough, you can get an F150 for about the same price...

Reactions: JButtress

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
MT has been very unkind in the two reviews they have done on the new ranger. It takes a year or more for after market to get accessories out.

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
I'm really curious to get my hands on one. I've been following it since Ford released info on them. I've been working for Ford since June, and the anticipation is killing me. My dealership has a Lariat coming in sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. I'll try to do a hands on review once it's here.

From what I've read, and the training I've done on it (new product knowledge is required training) it looks like an awesome truck. I had a '97 4x2 Ranger, and it was a decent truck, but these look a little more thought out. I priced up an XL with the FX4 package, and I want to say the MSRP was like 33-34k. Base price for a 4x2 is 27k. I think these will do very well, and if the terrain management is the same as the Explorers and F150 (which it looks to be) it should be a very viable option for overlanding a daily driver. I'm debating leasing one in a few months, to hold me over, or waiting until the Bronco comes out late this year. Right now our adventure machine is a 2010 Subaru Outback, and it won't be going anywhere, but I need to have a truck around for hauling sound gear and a few other things, so with the tow ratings (only 300 lbs less than my 99 Silverado) I think this will fit the bill nicely.

Shoot me a message if you have any questions on it. I'll know more once I can get in one, but happy to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert R Pyle

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Looks like a viable option but I would wait for the kinks to work out and for the aftermarket to grow. And to say the FX4 is just a sticker and nothing else is dishonest. Hopefully it creates incentive for the other manufactures to produce better trucks. Toyota needs to get to the drafting boards.

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
I have been looking at one as well, just not a fan of the center armrest for long distance travel. As for aftermarket support, you would be surprised at the amount there already is due to it being based on the worldwide version. Most of the major lift companies already have leveling kits out and I have already seen some with lifts and running 33's.

abart

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

St. Charles, Iowa
Member #

I like the new Rangers alot. If I didn't need a full size truck, it would be on my short list (only 2 of them I like so a really short list) of mid-size trucks for sure. It should be an interesting segment to watch the next couple years with seemingly so many trucks now.

Reactions: CCHeath

Robert R Pyle

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

La Pine, Klamath County, Oregon, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Pyle
Member #

I believe the lack of aftermarket options will end up being a disappointment to a lot of new buyers... there has been so much media hype about this "new Ranger" with the intent to attract buyers - not doubt it has been working. But I have to admit that my '02 Ranger has been a real workhorse and so very capable - came with skid plates, sliders, 4x4 package and heavier suspension, etc. Some limitations however: the torsion bar (IFS) suspension and a moderately adequate 4.0 L V6 engine, oh and, of course, the LSD rear end...

But I got the vehicle at a STEAL several years ago and have had nothing but success whenever I go overlanding out west or here in Appalachia. A turn-off for me with the newer Ranger is the dual cab (4 doors) since I don't really care for the longer wheelbase for much of the stuff I like to do. But my trips are typically me and wife or solo so I have no use for a second seat when wheeling and camping.
There are a bunch of aftermarket parts already. Bumpers, lift kit, racks for the bed,

Reactions: Eric Neal