Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Well, traded in my 2012 unlimited Rubicon 2 weeks ago, for this 2019 ZR2. I'm loving it so far even though it's only been driven on pavement so far. For the most part it will stay stock probably until sometime next year. I did decide to plasti dip badges and wheels black, and that turned out really good. First mod will be a console vault as I want a secure way to store my edc as needed.

Attachments

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Enjoy, the ZR2 is the best truck I've ever owned, handles like a sports car on road and it's a goat off road. I managed to go a year with just cosmetic mods but then I went to the dark side. Trifecta tune and 4.10's made it perfect.

Reactions: Schnell_958

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Enjoy, the ZR2 is the best truck I've ever owned, handles like a sports car on road and it's a goat off road. I managed to go a year with just cosmetic mods but then I went to the dark side. Trifecta tune and 4.10's made it perfect.
Thanks man, have seen some of your post on other ZR2 threads. I plan to regear at some point, level, run probably 32's, don't want to have to trim really, tune at some point. Still deciding on some things. Possibly get a four wheel camper, or one of the topper/pop ups. Have to check out some, figure out suspension mods needed for either etc..

Congrats on the new truck, hope you enjoy as much as I enjoy my ZR2
Thanks, I'm sure I will.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Thanks man, have seen some of your post on other ZR2 threads. I plan to regear at some point, level, run probably 32's, don't want to have to trim really, tune at some point. Still deciding on some things. Possibly get a four wheel camper, or one of the topper/pop ups. Have to check out some, figure out suspension mods needed for either etc..

Thanks, I'm sure I will.
I'm in the same boat on tires, 32's vs 33's. From what I have read if you can get enough castor, 4* or so it moves the tire forward enough that you do not need to trim anything. I'm waiting a SPC to release thier UCA's that have the adjustable ball joint location. UCA's, Timbren off road bump stops and eliminate the sway bar are my next mods. Deaver rear springs maybe.

Reactions: dj_mccomas

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

I'm in the same boat on tires, 32's vs 33's. From what I have read if you can get enough castor, 4* or so it moves the tire forward enough that you do not need to trim anything. I'm waiting a SPC to release thier UCA's that have the adjustable ball joint location. UCA's, Timbren off road bump stops and eliminate the sway bar are my next mods. Deaver rear springs maybe.
Nice man, I'm definitely fine with waiting a bit as the aftermarket support is still catching up. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for those spc uca's.

jplemons

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fresno, CA, USA
Member #

Congrats! I’m really liking my ZR2. It’s still pretty much stock except for the bed rack and shock skids, but I’m already weighing options for tires. I also would like to get a front winch bumper and maybe a new rear bumper.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Congrats! I’m really liking my ZR2. It’s still pretty much stock except for the bed rack and shock skids, but I’m already weighing options for tires. I also would like to get a front winch bumper and maybe a new rear bumper.
Nice man, yeah, definitely lots to think about. CBI just released a full front bumper etc.. Expecting the aftermarket parts to grow over the next year.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
Love the ZR2. Literally drove out of the lot with it, papers signed and everything. But turned around because I had some crazy buyers remorse the whole time I was signing. Ended up going with a more in budget Z71. So jealous of all your guys’ ZR2’s. Hopefully Chevy continues building this gen for a few more years to maximize the aftermarket support for us :P

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Love the ZR2. Literally drove out of the lot with it, papers signed and everything. But turned around because I had some crazy buyers remorse the whole time I was signing. Ended up going with a more in budget Z71. So jealous of all your guys’ ZR2’s. Hopefully Chevy continues building this gen for a few more years to maximize the aftermarket support for us :P

The aftermarket is really taking off for the ZR2, great selection of bumpers and lifts, several manufacturers, innovative products. Keep in mind that all these cool parts add weight to the truck, several guys have found that after adding all the trick parts, bumpers, racks, skidz, racks, it added up to 1000 lbs or more.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Doing more research, highly considering the tire size 255/80r17. Possibly keeping stock wheels as well, most aftermarket wheel offset will cause me to need to do trimming from the reading I've done, even with a level kit on it. The aftermarket is picking up, definitely have to see what route we go for camper. Four wheel campers swift is in the running, but will be heaviest option. We will be looking at them, and other topper/pop tops at expo east to see if we can finalize which way to go, then numerous other build decisions can be made from there.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Looking good man. :)

Do you absolutely need a 33" tire or could you get by with a 32.4"? I ask because if you are considering adding a huge amount of weight with a slide in camper I would consider sticking with a wider tire option like the 275/70/17. It's not quite a 33" but it will be more stable on and off-road than a 255/80/17 with all that weight, especially aired down. I'm a huge fan of 255s but I feel like there are some drawbacks when you start adding a lot of weight and raising your center of gravity. Just some food for thought.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Looking good man. :)

Do you absolutely need a 33" tire or could you get by with a 32.4"? I ask because if you are considering adding a huge amount of weight with a slide in camper I would consider sticking with a wider tire option like the 275/70/17. It's not quite a 33" but it will be more stable on and off-road than a 255/80/17 with all that weight, especially aired down. I'm a huge fan of 255s but I feel like there are some drawbacks when you start adding a lot of weight and raising your center of gravity. Just some food for thought.
Thanks man. Well we have done some more research and are going to go with campovrlnd's canopy pop top. Should be in the range of 350-400lbs so not near as heavy as a fwc. I'm not dead set on any tire size yet, kind of needed to figure out the camper obviously, and we have that figured out now. So I may go 265/70, or 255/75. Still not sure if I need load range E or if a C would be enough. I may add a rear bumper with spare tire carrier at some point too, will probably need to upgrade rear springs for all of that as well.

Reactions: JCWages

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I like the looks of the hood protectors but the two different rigs I've had them on get dirt behind them and would etches the paint, only reason I don't have one. No amount of wax helped. Maybe a clear wrap??

On the rear springs take a look at Deavers, they are offering several different packages for the Z71 and ZR2. On my ZR I have a Hitchgate Offest with spare and carry about 200lbs of gear in the bed, no sagging, truck sits level with oem springs, may go to Deavers after I have more off road time with the Timbren bump stops.
I don't know if this effects the Z71 trucks but several ZR2 owners are having the rear springs fail, the lose there arch and look like a "W". The rear ZR2 spring is a 2 stage and the 2nd stage hits really hard, might as well be solid. The Timbren's are helping but need more server testing.

I like the 255/75, better fenderwell clearance.

Not sure what years this covers but my 2017 owners manual states that the truck is not rated for a slide in camper. I don't know why, in my opinion it should not be a problem. This may effect warranty??

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

I like the looks of the hood protectors but the two different rigs I've had them on get dirt behind them and would etches the paint, only reason I don't have one. No amount of wax helped. Maybe a clear wrap??

On the rear springs take a look at Deavers, they are offering several different packages for the Z71 and ZR2. On my ZR I have a Hitchgate Offest with spare and carry about 200lbs of gear in the bed, no sagging, truck sits level with oem springs, may go to Deavers after I have more off road time with the Timbren bump stops.
I don't know if this effects the Z71 trucks but several ZR2 owners are having the rear springs fail, the lose there arch and look like a "W". The rear ZR2 spring is a 2 stage and the 2nd stage hits really hard, might as well be solid. The Timbren's are helping but need more server testing.

I like the 255/75, better fenderwell clearance.

Not sure what years this covers but my 2017 owners manual states that the truck is not rated for a slide in camper. I don't know why, in my opinion it should not be a problem. This may effect warranty??
Yeah, I will check into the deaver springs for sure, definitely leaning towards 255/75 as well.. The slide in like fwc is out, the one we are looking at is much lighter, more minimal thus more affordable as well.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

And transmission shudder today, just under 1k miles. Calling the dealer tomorrow to get an appointment for the fluid flush.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
And transmission shudder today, just under 1k miles. Calling the dealer tomorrow to get an appointment for the fluid flush.
I added a tune of "Shudder Fix" at about 500 miles on my trans. I've always had either the PC or the Trifecta, these effect the shifts. I'm not going to say that the Shudder Fix helped me in any way but my trans is smooth as can be. It's a $10 product that does help some owners.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

I added a tune of "Shudder Fix" at about 500 miles on my trans. I've always had either the PC or the Trifecta, these effect the shifts. I'm not going to say that the Shudder Fix helped me in any way but my trans is smooth as can be. It's a $10 product that does help some owners.

Thanks for the heads up man. I have an appointment to take it in. Once they do the fluid flush, I may still look to add some of that as well.

dj_mccomas

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Louisville, KY
First Name
DJ
Last Name
McComas
Member #

Took the truck to the dealer today. They test drove, experienced the shudder, and did the flush per the TSB. Had no more shudder on their test drive, and I didn't experience it either on the short ride back to work. Will monitor and see how it goes, hopefully this resolves it.