Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I opted for a wireless remote unit to control my four lighting circuits. The unit is rated for 20 amps per circuit but I added a relay for each. My thinking is reducing the wireless to 1 amp or less should give my longer life. The unit has been 100%, only drawback is I do not have a indication when lights are on...unless it's dark out.
I like the idea of those units but the price is more than I can afford. I need UCAs firts, and leaf springs next... lol

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Something I've been thinking about recently and Ronny just posted a video about it.

Yep. Lots of wisdom there, I hope others can see that and maybe make some changes to their own rigs.

Gears/tires/brakes/lowest possible lift for the tires were the main things in mind when I built up my jeep for a reason. Its so easy to get way overboard weight wise on our rigs, and then when people start throwing 35s on with out gearing or doing any brakes or anything...
It always makes me wary.

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Yep. Lots of wisdom there, I hope others can see that and maybe make some changes to their own rigs.

Gears/tires/brakes/lowest possible lift for the tires were the main things in mind when I built up my jeep for a reason. Its so easy to get way overboard weight wise on our rigs, and then when people start throwing 35s on with out gearing or doing any brakes or anything...
It always makes me wary.
You got it right. While it may not be the coolest setup for "the Gram" it's sensible, safer and well, cheaper. :)

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
Say what??? I should have known you would have shopped for something less expensive. That's why I like you. LOL
I was some what reluctant to order that at $30, seemed awful cheap to me. I've had it for over a year now, all 4 channels wired in, it's been 100% so far and the best part is no holes in the firewall or dash.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

This is what it looks like when you go wheeling solo and you're trying to work slow and safe but gravity keeps tugging you off your preferred line. It's not flashy for "The Gram" but it keeps me moving forward and from breaking parts. Sure, a heavy right boot could have made that section just outside of Poker Flat look easier but when you start bouncing under heavy throttle your CV shafts are likely to break. Uncontrolled momentum in rock gardens is just asking for trouble.

I meant to put my passenger tire on that flat rock but I couldn't move any further to driver and then I slid off another rock. And that's why we buy skid plates.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
This is what it looks like when you go wheeling solo and you're trying to work slow and safe but gravity keeps tugging you off your preferred line. It's not flashy for "The Gram" but it keeps me moving forward and from breaking parts. Sure, a heavy right boot could have made that section just outside of Poker Flat look easier but when you start bouncing under heavy throttle your CV shafts are likely to break. Uncontrolled momentum in rock gardens is just asking for trouble.

I meant to put my passenger tire on that flat rock but I couldn't move any further to driver and then I slid off another rock. And that's why we buy skid plates.
Dude, nice! That trail is a fun one! Glad you're getting out there, i bet you could make it out to gold lake and to do the A tree and stuff. There are a lot of cool roads and trails out there.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Dude, nice! That trail is a fun one! Glad you're getting out there, i bet you could make it out to gold lake and to do the A tree and stuff. There are a lot of cool roads and trails out there.
Thanks Jules!

I was going to head out on Foresthill Road and come out to 50 near Ice House Res then do Strawberry Pass Trail but I'm pretty wiped after yesterday. Next time I head up to Gold Lake area I'm doing Snake Lake Trail! Need a friend to tag along though....

Reactions: rho

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Thanks Jules!

I was going to head out on Foresthill Road and come out to 50 near Ice House Res then do Strawberry Pass Trail but I'm pretty wiped after yesterday. Next time I head up to Gold Lake area I'm doing Snake Lake Trail! Need a friend to tag along though....
When are you thinking...? :P

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Before it snows? :smilingimp:
hahahaha, I'm down kind of whenever. Pete is doing his Rubicon thing sometime, maybe in October, but I'm pretty much down whenever. esp if its a weekend, I do need to like, plan so if you want to start figuring out a date or something....

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I was watching one of Tyler Thompsons videos and his dad broke his front diff giving a little too much right boot for too long on a hill climb. The terrain doesn't look too bad but like I said above, it doesn't take much. :)

Start the vid at 17:30

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Played around in sand. The stuff reminds me of deep snow. If you run too high of a gear and or let the trans upshift you'll bog down and you're doomed if you leave the traction nannies engaged. I couldn't get it to throw giant rooster tails but I had fun nonetheless. :D

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Ryan Rupcich showed us how durable the factory skids, rock sliders and driveshaft are NOT! lol

@589FAB has some solutions for this guy's damage. :)
Buwahahaha. great seeing the breakdown of what this dude broke. A lot of the stuff is normal if you go play in the rocks but the DS is interesting.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I moved my GMRS mic to the sunglasses holder. I used velcro for 1 trip to see if I liked it better than mounted on the dash to the left of the stereo and it was much easier to grab and replace while driving without taking my eyes off the road. I can also activate it and talk without removing it from the holder. The cable becomes invisible to me after awhile and for daily driving I just unplug the mic and toss it in the center console.827201918813.jpeg

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I had a colonoscopy then went home and saw FedEx dropped off my new Freedom Offroad UCAs so I took a nap then installed them. Install was relatively easy but GM placed the nuts for the UCA bolts inside the spring mount so I had to unbolt my coilovers to shift them around and make room for a wrench. If not for that step I'd have been done in 30min instead of 2hrs. lol

I'm testing these very inexpensive units to see how they hold up to abuse. They run $380. The next cheapest brand is $750 and they only go up from there. I have not read of any failures yet.

Freedom Offroad UCA on top of OEM

Installed at full droop. Tire is rubbing the front of the UCA due to increased caster I think.

Last edited:

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I talked with Accutune regarding my lack of droop (coilover extension) and after a bunch of measurements it looks like I need to reduce spring rate from 550lbs to 450lbs. Even with "no preload" I am only getting about 1" of droop instead of the 2"-3" I should be getting. The truck is simply lifted too high and I can't lower it any further with these springs. That would also explain my clunk and harsh shock extension.

I'm going to play around with weight up front by adding 50lb sand bags and see what that does for shock extension numbers before I order new springs. I like the idea of the softest spring I can get away with while still achieving 2" of lift. Still, 450lb springs sounds crazy compared to what Tacomas use when they have a bumper, winch, sliders etc. Those guys need 650lb+ springs.

So I might be doing my Death Valley OverlandBound trip with a bunch of sandbags stuffed in various places up front. LOL