Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

very nice rack setup. Thanks for posting the size info - was looking into getting the same one for my GMC Sierra. Looking good!
Ya if you have any questions just let me know. The truck bed rack on the front runner site is actually 8” shorter length wise than this one. I’d suggest the one I got, longer one (depending on your bed length) I also got the longer side rails with 4 screw points on each side of bed instead of 3. Added a 3rd pair of legs and now it should hold a lot more

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

" Im planning on mounting the antenna in the opposite ditch that my regular antenna sits." Am I correct in assuming that this means fender mount on drivers side?
If this is the case. 1) make sure that what ever antenna you go with is a NGP (no ground plane) antenna. This will help with your performance since the location will not give a good ground plane and "throw" your signal in certain directions instead of having equal coverage around your rig.
2) Tho I ( and other friends) Have had good success with firestiks, I have never had much luck with getting the 2' to tune well. I have however had decent performance out of the 3' whip. Imo they tune better. You also want to try the best you can to have at least the tip of the antenna over the roof of the cab so signal is not being disrupted. I understand height limits as to why I do not run my old antenna anymore (parking garages suck).
3) Since you will be mounting on the fender 18'ft of cable is way to much. I would suggest either roughly estimating the cable run and getting the closest pre made length or for best would be to properly measure the run and have a custom cable made (cheaper sometimes than you might think). the reason for this is 1) you now have to figure out were to hide all of this extra cable ( and coiling it can sometimes cause issues) and the longer the cable the more loss you will get. With any cb, 4 watt being the limit ( legally), trying to save on your db loss will greatly help.
4) I would not use the cigarette lighter plug. On many newer vehicles there is just too much interference in the electrical system. My friends 16 silverado with the same radio had pretty bad interference. I would suggest saving the money on the plug and hard wiring it (keeping away from the computer and ignition system/wiring.)

the radio you picked is one of my favorite "minis" my friend has it in his truck and has performed with no problems. I am not a mini cb guy but hey with my new truck i cant bring myself to mount my giant thing either lol (switching to gmrs)

hope this info helps in any way. btw truck looking good.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

" Im planning on mounting the antenna in the opposite ditch that my regular antenna sits." Am I correct in assuming that this means fender mount on drivers side?
If this is the case. 1) make sure that what ever antenna you go with is a NGP (no ground plane) antenna. This will help with your performance since the location will not give a good ground plane and "throw" your signal in certain directions instead of having equal coverage around your rig.
2) Tho I ( and other friends) Have had good success with firestiks, I have never had much luck with getting the 2' to tune well. I have however had decent performance out of the 3' whip. Imo they tune better. You also want to try the best you can to have at least the tip of the antenna over the roof of the cab so signal is not being disrupted. I understand height limits as to why I do not run my old antenna anymore (parking garages suck).
3) Since you will be mounting on the fender 18'ft of cable is way to much. I would suggest either roughly estimating the cable run and getting the closest pre made length or for best would be to properly measure the run and have a custom cable made (cheaper sometimes than you might think). the reason for this is 1) you now have to figure out were to hide all of this extra cable ( and coiling it can sometimes cause issues) and the longer the cable the more loss you will get. With any cb, 4 watt being the limit ( legally), trying to save on your db loss will greatly help.
4) I would not use the cigarette lighter plug. On many newer vehicles there is just too much interference in the electrical system. My friends 16 silverado with the same radio had pretty bad interference. I would suggest saving the money on the plug and hard wiring it (keeping away from the computer and ignition system/wiring.)

the radio you picked is one of my favorite "minis" my friend has it in his truck and has performed with no problems. I am not a mini cb guy but hey with my new truck i cant bring myself to mount my giant thing either lol (switching to gmrs)

hope this info helps in any way. btw truck looking good.
Thanks for such an in-depth response. I have already mounted and installed everything. I’m getting a 1.9 swr on the 1 and 40. The tip of my antenna does stick up over the cab about 4”.

The biggest reason I used the 12v lighter plug is because I have 3 of them, and the one I use turns off when I turn the car off. For the future, I do plan to instal a second battery and once I get that I think I’ll wire the CB directly to that. I don’t think I’m getting much interference though.

I do wish I had a “scan” function on the radio now that I’ve been playing with it. Would be nice to be out on the trail and easily find others.

Do most people use channel 4 for off-roading still? Or leave it on 19 for the best chance as raising someone?

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

glad to hear the 2' is workin for ya. 1.9 swr not horrible and defiantly livable( the lower the better but you are not in damaging your radio range). As for channels go not to sure, we usually just find an empty channel and use it. If we are trying to find other people then we will either scan or just monitor 9/19 as most people use those as defaults. i have also sen some 4x4 groups around me run cb channel number stickers on their rigs as to let others nearby to know what channel they are on. When we use them we have a tendency to run ssb since there is less traffic( unless someone cant run ssb). as far as the interference you would definitely notice so good it not a problem for you . this was a major problem for a friend of mine.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

glad to hear the 2' is workin for ya. 1.9 swr not horrible and defiantly livable( the lower the better but you are not in damaging your radio range). As for channels go not to sure, we usually just find an empty channel and use it. If we are trying to find other people then we will either scan or just monitor 9/19 as most people use those as defaults. i have also sen some 4x4 groups around me run cb channel number stickers on their rigs as to let others nearby to know what channel they are on. When we use them we have a tendency to run ssb since there is less traffic( unless someone cant run ssb). as far as the interference you would definitely notice so good it not a problem for you . this was a major problem for a friend of mine.
Awesome, good to know. The sticker is a good idea. I’ll be testing it all out this weekend in Alabama Hill CA and next weekend in Lake Isabella.

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

Love the rig, always good to see more full sizes/chevys on the site! Have you used the tent/rack set up much yet? I have thought about going that route, but right now I am quite happy with the "stealth" topper setup I've been running. Have loved my slimline rack so far though, seems versatile and I like the low profile. Definitely will be following along on this one!

Reactions: 805RADO

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Love the rig, always good to see more full sizes/chevys on the site! Have you used the tent/rack set up much yet? I have thought about going that route, but right now I am quite happy with the "stealth" topper setup I've been running. Have loved my slimline rack so far though, seems versatile and I like the low profile. Definitely will be following along on this one!
This weekend will be my first time use it! Upgrading from a tentsile tent!

4x4ready

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Los Angeles, CA
First Name
4X4
Last Name
READY
Member #

Ya if you have any questions just let me know. The truck bed rack on the front runner site is actually 8” shorter length wise than this one. I’d suggest the one I got, longer one (depending on your bed length) I also got the longer side rails with 4 screw points on each side of bed instead of 3. Added a 3rd pair of legs and now it should hold a lot more
Thanks, yes had a few questions but still doing some research. Also live near Front Runner and was planning to get the same rack! such a useful platform.

Only thing is my truck came with a sport bar and was hoping to squeeze it between it - bars grown on me and want to try to keep it.

Most recent trip was Rowher Flats up in Angeles National Forest. It allows dispersed camping and a friend has a cabin in the forest. Have another co-worker whos interested in going who's also got a black 1500.

Rowher Flats -> https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/angeles/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5318340

Btw, really enjoyed the video, keep up the great work (subscribed!). Also added a rear shot of the current rack / tent setup.

Attachments

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Thanks, yes had a few questions but still doing some research. Also live near Front Runner and was planning to get the same rack! such a useful platform.

Only thing is my truck came with a sport bar and was hoping to squeeze it between it - bars grown on me and want to try to keep it.

Most recent trip was Rowher Flats up in Angeles National Forest. It allows dispersed camping and a friend has a cabin in the forest. Have another co-worker whos interested in going who's also got a black 1500.

Rowher Flats -> https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/angeles/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5318340

Btw, really enjoyed the video, keep up the great work (subscribed!). Also added a rear shot of the current rack / tent setup.
Awesome truck! Ya the front runner rack might fit? Depends how the sport bar is mounted. If your close to the show room they will probably measure for you and let you know for sure?!

I️ love the Rowher flats area. Camped there a few times.

If you ever want to meet up and grab a coffee and check both trucks out let me know. I’m in SB.

4x4ready

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Los Angeles, CA
First Name
4X4
Last Name
READY
Member #

Ok great, just got back from another trip. Learning alon. The way little by little but feel more excited each trip. Will reach out for sure ty!

Reactions: 805RADO

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

Hey there!

Happy to see another Chevy full size rig here.

Here’s mine...she started out as a Tuscany Black Ops edition, outfitted here in Fort Worth, Texas. 6” lift, 35” KO2 tires (which are beyond awesome) and some nice cosmetics. I’ve added Pro Comp coilovers up front, Firestone air bags in the back to level things out, a Snugtop cap shell with Yakima MegaWarrior basket up top and a Decked in bed drawer system. More coming including a bumper and winch up front. She’s a beast and a little bit fat in the back but when it comes to carrying 1300 pounds of gear and getting 15MPG doing 90 on my way to the mountains...well it’s a tough rig to beat. And honestly...it’s fun sticking out in the sea of Toyota’s and Jeeps.

Welcome to the full size club!

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Hey there!

Happy to see another Chevy full size rig here.

Here’s mine...she started out as a Tuscany Black Ops edition, outfitted here in Fort Worth, Texas. 6” lift, 35” KO2 tires (which are beyond awesome) and some nice cosmetics. I’ve added Pro Comp coilovers up front, Firestone air bags in the back to level things out, a Snugtop cap shell with Yakima MegaWarrior basket up top and a Decked in bed drawer system. More coming including a bumper and winch up front. She’s a beast and a little bit fat in the back but when it comes to carrying 1300 pounds of gear and getting 15MPG doing 90 on my way to the mountains...well it’s a tough rig to beat. And honestly...it’s fun sticking out in the sea of Toyota’s and Jeeps.

Welcome to the full size club!

Love the rig man! If you ever venture west let me know. Maybe organize a Rado trip?! Ya I’m running the v8 eco boost and found a sweet spot at 77mph getting 22 mpg! These trucks kick ass. I’m 5 months in and just passed 10k miles.

My next steps are larger tires. Think I’m just doing a small step up to 33” and maintaining the level I️ have.

Keep me posted on the bumper you go with. I’m researching that also but for now I️ carry a “more power puller” come a long but never stuck yet. These wide hips get in the way some times but oh well.

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

Love the rig man! If you ever venture west let me know. Maybe organize a Rado trip?! Ya I’m running the v8 eco boost and found a sweet spot at 77mph getting 22 mpg! These trucks kick ass. I’m 5 months in and just passed 10k miles.

My next steps are larger tires. Think I’m just doing a small step up to 33” and maintaining the level I️ have.

Keep me posted on the bumper you go with. I’m researching that also but for now I️ carry a “more power puller” come a long but never stuck yet. These wide hips get in the way some times but oh well.

Sure thing man! There's one other Chevy guy close by here in DFW---maybe we can all convene out in NM sometime. 33" should be fine although I think my buddy here in DFW had 33" and went up to 35"...certainly good for the ground clearance. The KO2's are terrific...great performance both on and off the road. Hardly any road noise.

I'll let you know on bumpers...I may have one fabricated. As you know...not many options.

Love your rig man---especially the RTT setup!

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Sure thing man! There's one other Chevy guy close by here in DFW---maybe we can all convene out in NM sometime. 33" should be fine although I think my buddy here in DFW had 33" and went up to 35"...certainly good for the ground clearance. The KO2's are terrific...great performance both on and off the road. Hardly any road noise.

I'll let you know on bumpers...I may have one fabricated. As you know...not many options.

Love your rig man---especially the RTT setup!
Ya no much at all! I️ was lucky enough to live close to the Front Runner shop in Cali. I’ve been loving their RTT so far.

Would love that trip idea. Last trip was to Johnson Valley. And next trip is most likely Joshua Tree, or Alabama hillls CA. I️ was to explore some of AZ/NM some time.

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Stumbled on this thread and saw that Pike outed me on my initial mistake going with 33s and 4” lift. Lol, yeah that was a doozy of a learning experience.

That setup didn’t last long past my first trip to the mountains in NM. I have a build thread around here somewhere that has all the dirty details.

If you like gas mileage, don’t lift it, but I average 12mpg when pulling that trailer, but at low speeds off-road, we outlast the Jeeps on fuel.

Great truck you have there!

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Stumbled on this thread and saw that Pike outed me on my initial mistake going with 33s and 4” lift. Lol, yeah that was a doozy of a learning experience.

That setup didn’t last long past my first trip to the mountains in NM. I have a build thread around here somewhere that has all the dirty details.

If you like gas mileage, don’t lift it, but I average 12mpg when pulling that trailer, but at low speeds off-road, we outlast the Jeeps on fuel.

Great truck you have there!

Thanks for the info! ya I probably wont end up lifting it past the level I have. I think just stepping up to 33" once I actually need new tires... That trailer is awesome! Did you build that? looks like a military style one.