2017 Silverado 1500 Z71 new build

• HTML tutorial

Dylan Cave

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Frisco, Texas
Member #

Thanks for the info! ya I probably wont end up lifting it past the level I have. I think just stepping up to 33" once I actually need new tires... That trailer is awesome! Did you build that? looks like a military style one.
You may want to look into re-gearing the diffs when you go up to 33s too.

I purchased the trailer from the US Army via GovPlanet.com

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

Dude, the three of us need to all link up at an event sometime. We'd blow people's minds with three overloading Silverado's haha.

I'm torn on my 6" lift. The clearance is great but the mileage definitely sucks. However, I do like my 35" tires (soon to be put to the test at Big Bend Ranch SP this week).

New stuff getting added to Black Betty tomorrow (and in a few weeks):

ARB 50 quart fridge...powered with a YETI Lithium 400 battery and the truck's own DC power when rolling. Putting this behind the front passenger seat. Figured out that's the perfect spot!
Fox reservoir shocks in the back (a little different setup than yours Dylan...we'll have to compare notes)
Road Armor stealth bumper + Warn 12k winch

Dylan...still time to blow off work and c'mon dude!

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Dude, the three of us need to all link up at an event sometime. We'd blow people's minds with three overloading Silverado's haha.

I'm torn on my 6" lift. The clearance is great but the mileage definitely sucks. However, I do like my 35" tires (soon to be put to the test at Big Bend Ranch SP this week).

ARB 50 quart fridge...powered with a YETI Lithium 400 battery and the truck's own DC power when rolling. Putting this behind the front passenger seat. Figured out that's the perfect spot!
Fox reservoir shocks in the back (a little different setup than yours Dylan...we'll have to compare notes)

This trio would be awesome! The next few things I’m going for are a hot water system, dual battery onboard, and a more power puller come along 6 ton drag rating.

Maybe we convince chevy to sponsor a trip for us all?!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: cbellew22

Thomas Fuller

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Calgary, Alberta
First Name
Thomas
Last Name
Fuller
Member #

Hey there!

Happy to see another Chevy full size rig here.

Here’s mine...she started out as a Tuscany Black Ops edition, outfitted here in Fort Worth, Texas. 6” lift, 35” KO2 tires (which are beyond awesome) and some nice cosmetics. I’ve added Pro Comp coilovers up front, Firestone air bags in the back to level things out, a Snugtop cap shell with Yakima MegaWarrior basket up top and a Decked in bed drawer system. More coming including a bumper and winch up front. She’s a beast and a little bit fat in the back but when it comes to carrying 1300 pounds of gear and getting 15MPG doing 90 on my way to the mountains...well it’s a tough rig to beat. And honestly...it’s fun sticking out in the sea of Toyota’s and Jeeps.

Welcome to the full size club!

This truck right here...is beautiful, I shall call it a goal haha .

Well dome!!

Reactions: West Coast Family

Sandbox714

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fenton,mi
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Lund
Member #

Good looking trucks gentlemen. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 double cab with a 2” leveling kit and run 33’s. No rubbing at all but I have also eliminated the front valence and am running stock 18” rims. Mine is definitely showing some off-road pinstripes but that is character.

Sandbox714

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fenton,mi
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Lund
Member #

I also run 2 batteries. There is a spot for a extra battery in the front drivers side of the engine bay. I run a Warn Xd9000i on a cradle mount which seems to work out well. If I need the extra pulling power I just run a snatch block. The bonus to the cradle is that you can use it in the front or back and to be honest I have definitely went out backwards more then forward. Just a little food for thought on your own builds.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

I also run 2 batteries. There is a spot for a extra battery in the front drivers side of the engine bay. I run a Warn Xd9000i on a cradle mount which seems to work out well. If I need the extra pulling power I just run a snatch block. The bonus to the cradle is that you can use it in the front or back and to be honest I have definitely went out backwards more then forward. Just a little food for thought on your own builds.
Good looking stuff man! are those the goodyear wrangler in 33"s?

Sandbox714

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fenton,mi
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Lund
Member #

You got it. They are 275/70 r18. The tire shop said they measure out at 33.4. I went with the DuraTrac this time around due to another truck I had previously had the Goodyear mud terrains. So far I must say I am super pleased with the DuraTrac tires. I would honestly say with no valence and the leveling kit and tires I have probably lost about 2 miles to the gallon. That seems to be a fair trade off for the off-road capability I have gained.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Yo! Either of you going to Overland Expo West?

Pike

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Weatherford, Texas
Member #

Yo! Either of you going to Overland Expo West?
I am----but not in Black Betty. I traded her awhile back for a Jeep...which I quickly relinquished to my wife (trading Betty was a mistake) and drive a 4Runner TRD ORP ("Betty White"). I'll be in the Patriot Campers group camping spot...come by and say hello!

RickLB

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Blythewood SC
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Byrum
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Well just saw this and below is my rig. Wife wants to camp so here we go exploring and overlanding. The truck has a 6" lift and 35s. I think a decked system is in my near future and then a ground tent. Interested in bumpers and a winch, but that will have to w0221180950.jpg ait.

Last edited:

VST

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Kodak, TN, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
James
Nice! I just picked up a 2018 z71 that I’m planning to do a build with also. Seems like everyone is using the Tacoma platform for overlanding but I wanted something a little bigger with a little more power plus my brother has one that he’s doing a build on so no need for two. But it’s going to take some imagination with this truck since there’s not a lot of market for these trucks yet.

Reactions: Mekcanix and RickLB

OnMyWaypoint

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Union City, California 94587, United States
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Calub
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WE6ABC
Hey Pike. I was wondering if you have any pics on your ARB Fridge behind your passenger seat? I just bought the same fridge and wanted to get some ideas on how to mount it in my Silverado.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Traveler I

US
Pretty cool to see some other guys out there with big rigs I've never seen any others out in the breck country, here's some pictures...I haven't gotten a chance to take it back out since adding the new bumper, tires/rims, and changing the front end trim to black si those are just street photos.

IMG_20180118_214524_906.jpg IMG_20180111_213729_108.jpg 20180728_113415.jpg 20181114_152653.jpg 20181125_123019.jpg

Mrcodes

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Anaheim Hills, Anaheim, California 92807, United States
First Name
Cody
Last Name
H
Member #

Hey guys. Way late to the party but the first thing I did was look for other people with full size rigs. I.E. Silverados. All I ever see is Toyotas everywhere (which is fine but doesn't interest me as much) bc none of the aftermarket builds I see on rigs work for my truck. Haven't really done much visually except for a level but the internals have gotten a nice upgrade. Haven't had any problems with capabilities off road other than being too wide for some side trails. I look forward to seeing your builds and progress!

jimbofoxman

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Oshtemo Township, MI, USA
Member #

Good looking trucks gentlemen. I have a 2015 Silverado 1500 double cab with a 2” leveling kit and run 33’s. No rubbing at all but I have also eliminated the front valence and am running stock 18” rims. Mine is definitely showing some off-road pinstripes but that is character.
Nice lookin ride and Hello from a fellow Michigander!

Got a 2015 Z71 DC myself that I'm thinking of lifting up the front end. Not leveled, but gonna leave a small amount of rake. Don't know if I leave it with a little rake if I can get away with 33's. But definitely go one size up.