Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Hey all, would love any advise as I am a new OB member just getting into things. I have a 2017 silverado 1500 with a Z71 805 offroad edition. I have leveled the truck and put on a rigid sr 10" in the grill and dually midnight on the hood mounts. I currently have a tentsile tent as my main sleeper but hope eventually to add a frontrunner bed rack with RTT.

if anyone else has any silverado overland secrets would love to learn.

Here are a few pics of the truck.

Attachments

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

It's a good looking truck, I just love the full size rigs. Besides the rack and RTT do you have other specifics in mind for it?
-Decent CB Radio set up
-Maybe a winch and bumper, (if I can find one that doesnt look like im caring another living quarters on the front bumper...)
-larger tires if I can fit them and beadlock rims, currently have a 2.5" level
-Water storage
-ARB compressor... one day
-Decked truck bed storage

Have any other suggestions?

that is the wish list thus far, haha might take me a while. But so far I love the truck, I took it up the seirra buttes fire lookout trail from seirra city and it handled amazing. only issue I see is that Im a pretty wide rig. I already have my first deep scrach from a bolder I kissed while on that ridge.

Reactions: Edward Gentle

Edward Gentle

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Huntsville Al
Member #

The tires would probably help a lot but I don't know that much about chevy's so I don't have any idea what you can get on there with your lift. I've got a 2000 F-150 with a leveling kit and I comfortably run 35's.

For your ARB compressor check Amazon Prime if you have it. I got mine there and saved about 85.00 along with the free shipping.

Reactions: 805RADO

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

The tires would probably help a lot but I don't know that much about chevy's so I don't have any idea what you can get on there with your lift. I've got a 2000 F-150 with a leveling kit and I comfortably run 35's.

For your ARB compressor check Amazon Prime if you have it. I got mine there and saved about 85.00 along with the free shipping.
I hope 35's will fit! ill find out once I need new tires though! and Ill check out amazon. So expensive from local truck accessory dealer!

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Super cool to see more full size truck folks around here. Sounds like you have a great plan for your rig. Sure do miss running around Tahoe.....
Thanks! im slowly realizing that full size rigs are for sure the minority and all the cool accessories are made for jeeps and tacomas! haha but we cant let them have all the fun! Tahoe has been amazing, been here for the last year but this last winter took a toll! ha

Reactions: CombatMech

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Reactions: CombatMech

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Just a little accessory update.

Lights are on and bought some green covers for fun, purchased some jam handles. I bought the jam handles before I put about 100 pin stripes down the sides of my new truck... haha but oh well I still put them on. I have a trip November 4-5 planned for buttermilk country, hoping for no snow yet (or at least not a lot)

FullSizeRender 2.jpg IMG_5718.JPG IMG_5717.JPG IMG_5697.JPG

Reactions: Jimmy P

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

CB Radio Help! below is a screen shot of my amazon cart. Hopefully you can read it but I was wondering if anyone can give me a "go-no go" on these parts. Im planning on mounting the antenna in the opposite ditch that my regular antenna sits. Ill need to do a little trimming of the cover that sits there but thats isn't a big issue since it wont be much material. Im keeping the antenna short because I regularly drive in to SF and cant have the height. My main use will be for communicating with people on the trail in my group. Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 8.56.03 AM.png

Reactions: Dylan Cave

samsara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Glendale, Az
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Winham
Member #

Love seeing other Silverados, I have a '15 2500. It seems all after market support is for Ram, Ford, and and tundras. For the bumper, I've been eyeing buckstop bumpers and rogue bumpers. Might want to check them out when you get to that point.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Love seeing other Silverados, I have a '15 2500. It seems all after market support is for Ram, Ford, and and tundras. For the bumper, I've been eyeing buckstop bumpers and rogue bumpers. Might want to check them out when you get to that point.

Ill check them out for sure! ya I know! There is a bit of stuff for pre runner chevys but not much overland! if you find anyhting cool, let me know!

Villa173

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Awesome rig! I recently got. '17 silverado as well, and by reading everything you've said so far I couldn't agree more that it's tough looking for accessories made for a full size vs the tacomas/keeps/4runners. Have you had any issues with clearance of the front air dam ? I went off-road recently and it rubbed a few times and I haven't come up with a viable solution yet; any ideas ?

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Awesome rig! I recently got. '17 silverado as well, and by reading everything you've said so far I couldn't agree more that it's tough looking for accessories made for a full size vs the tacomas/keeps/4runners. Have you had any issues with clearance of the front air dam ? I went off-road recently and it rubbed a few times and I haven't come up with a viable solution yet; any ideas ?

I just took the air damn off. I still have it incase I see a big difference in mpg but so far I havent seen anything, I have the 5.3 eco v8 engine and i get around 500miles per tank. It also kind of concerned me how many bolts there were holding it on... if I ever did hit the airdamn hard, it might pull a lot with it. Eventually i want a new bumper with winch so it wont be an issue, but until that point ill stay as is.

805RADO

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Santa Ynez, CA, USA
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Sasquatch
Member #

Ok! Just finished my biggest instal yet. I personally drilled 12 holes in my truck to make this happen. Each one hurt but the final product was worth it. So this is the slimline tray (1475mm W x 1560mm L). I added a third pair of legs for more strength.

Mounted on top is front runner RTT and a 13 gal water tank. I also mounted a shovel on the side!!! Let me know if you have questions and if you have any suggestions for me.

I’ll be in Alabama Hills this weekend breaking it in.