2016 Toyota Tundra Multi Phase Build

• HTML tutorial

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Very true statement in regards to the Tundras, I think I saw less then 10 at Expo this year and two belong to BOLD Overland and Equipt Expedition Outfitters.....spoke to CBI on what the time frame was on Tundra accessories and I was told a full line of products would be out sometime in 2018. ARB pretty much said don’t hold my breath.
Tundras are becoming a very popular pickup as I see more and more on the road. I can see niche manufacturers coming out with various product offerings but don't look for the same levels of product offering as can be found for the Jeep for example. At least ARB was honest enough to say it as they see it, I respect that.

I was in 4WheelParts the other day and we talked about Expo and the counter guys told me they've heard talk than Overlanding is really starting to capture a lot more attention in the 4 Wheeling community. Our local 4WheelParts store for a long time had a really nice Jeep as the main center piece when you walk into the door. A month of so ago, that all changed and now the new center piece is a Smittybilt Scout Trailer fully setup for Overlanding and the surrounding display screaming out Overlanding. My November issue of FourWheeler is cover page Overlanding with coverage of Expo West and Off Road trailers.

I think the Tundra will grow more among Overlanders over time but the smaller options of Jeeps, 4Runners, etc. are always going to be the more popular choices and I can understand why.

Reactions: k9sar

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

That was my exact thought. Which is why I decided to go with Expedition One.

Should have it delivered in the next few weeks along with the Warn platinum 12S

View attachment 37173
I'm leaning towards Fab Four or the Honeybadger from Addictive Desert Design for the front but on the rear that may be a custom as I want to incorporate an exoskeleton around and over the bed/top also tied into the sliders.

darthyota

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I'm leaning towards Fab Four or the Honeybadger from Addictive Desert Design for the front but on the rear that may be a custom as I want to incorporate an exoskeleton around and over the bed/top also tied into the sliders.
If you have any kind of real winter the coating on the ADD bumper will not last and you wil be recoating if after the first winter.

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Travel 2 camp at expo was running the expedition one front and rear bumper and I was blown away by the overall quality of the product and the detail in the welds....after I saw the product I ordered the bumper as soon as we got cell service lol

Reactions: dziner

Bonjurns

Rank 0

Traveler I

Idaho
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Burns
Question, how is the quality of light coming from the hood bulge? Does the recessed mount effect usable field of vision?

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

@dziner heard you picked up a roof top tent!

@The General Entusiast, the light bar I have in the hood bulge is a Spot so I do not see to much loss in light. I am sure if I went with a flood or a combo It would have limited the spread.

Reactions: dziner

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

@dziner heard you picked up a roof top tent!

@The General Entusiast, the light bar I have in the hood bulge is a Spot so I do not see to much loss in light. I am sure if I went with a flood or a combo It would have limited the spread.
Yep, it's been ordered. Now I wait for it to be built, shipped to the United States, and delivered to me. It's a hard shell RTT so it should be a lot easier for me to setup and take down.

dziner

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
First Name
Jonathan
Last Name
Smith
Member #

No, I wish. It's a generic that is being sourced on TacomaWorld for a group buy. Looks very much like a James Baroud Evasion tent, but at a third of the cost (and without the solar powered fan and side air vents). I didn't notice any difference in fuel mileage when I had my Geo Adventure Gear tent mounted to my cap.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

What do you think so far?
Love em. I had my recovery gear under the rear seat and in a portable Plano box and now they are in the drawers with lots of space left. The other thing I like is the deck gives me a surface to bolt too, (aux batteries, etc) without drilling into my truck bed. I want to put a Roof Top Tent on my Lear top but Lear claims to not be able to support the weight. I might fab up a couple of cage hoops for inside the cargo area that bolts to the deck and to each other and them shim up so then any weight in Lear roof is transferred to the hoops and into the deck structure.