2016 Toyota Tundra Multi Phase Build

• HTML tutorial

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Completely agree about the deck surface. I have had no issues with the battery boxes, fridge slide and water tank bolted to the deck surface.

ARE and Leer construction of the top can’t be to far off I wander if the cage that came with the CX HD could be modified to fit.

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Wife and I went by CVT in Chattanooga last Wednesday and they told me they put RTT's on Leer tops all the time. If the roof came with rack rails as mine does, then a tent can be mounted.

I even looked closer at the Expedition One swing arm rear bumper on the Tundra picture and that Tundra had a Leer shell with RTT on it. This view shows the "LE" of Leer at the tire but another side view confirms it a Leer top.

Spvrtan

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

San Diego
Member #

Found you!

Jenny, the Tundra.

Built by Kaylee and last updated Sep 25, 2017
#tundra #overland #adventures #toyota #family #4x4

We envisioned building our dream overland vehicle in 2016, made the first purchase and haven't stopped since. Bought her stock. 2016 Tundra 1794 Edition 5.7 V8 4x4. We are a family outfitted and ready for adventure!

Follow me on Instagram!

Buildprint page:
http://buildprint.io/b/CFT_Overland

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mods

WHEELS

Fuel Anza D558
-> 18x9

TIRES

Nitto Ridge Grappler (removed)
-> 35x12.5xR18

Nitto Ridge Grapplers
-> Upgrading to 37x12.5xR18

ARMOR

RCI Full Skid Plate
-> Trans plate, fuel tank plate

BDS Front Skid Plate

Warrior Roof Rack

LIGHTING

Rough Country
-> 30" lower valence
40" hood bulge SDHQ mounting kit
6x8" perimeter lights
8x2" rock lights
2x4" reverse lights in rear bumper
12" in truck cap

Ridged Fog light kit
-> D Series Diffused Pair

Rough Country
-> 50" light bar on roof rack

SUSPENSION

BDS 7" coil over lift kit
-> 7" Fox 2.5 piggy back shock w/reservoir. This set is in the front only

Icon 2.5 piggy back w/CDC

OME Dakar leaf pack
-> Added additional leaf

Boss triple airbag

Icon upper control arms

UTILITY

ARE CXHD Series cap

ARB Diff breathers

AMP research rear step

COSMETIC

Lund fender flares

N-FAB nerf bars

Rough Country Bull Bar

Toyota TRD PRO grill

ELECTRICAL

Fire sticks

National Luna
-> Dual battery isolator/controller

COMMUNICATION

Cobra CB Radio

Midland MXT115 GRMS Radio

INTERIOR

ESP underseat storage

ACCESSORIES

Dometic fridge/slide

MAXTRAX

Bushranger X-Jack

AUDIO

Kicker CS Speakers
-> 3 way kicker CS up front
2 6x9 in the rear
Tweeters in each door
2 10in subs
1000w amp
EQ
Custom box behind the seat

STORAGE

Decked drawer system

EXTERIOR

Shorty antenna

RECOVERY

ARB Air Compressor

PERFORMANCE

K&N cold air intake

Flow Master Outlaw Series

EBC front & rear
-> Cross drilled and slotted rotors with yellow stuff pads

DRIVETRAIN

ARB front & rear air lockers

488 gears

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Logs

New mods coming today! (Sep 20, 2017)
Finally got her back! (Sep 24, 2017)

Build info exported via Buildprint

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

How those 4.88 gears working? Good power ban? Good response to acceleration input?

I'm only going up 4 plus inches so my end game is 35's. With 4.30 gears and 33's from factory, I'm thinking 35's will be like a 4.10 gear but as I add weight, I may have to consider bumping up to 4.56 which can do when I step up my game with lockers.

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Bobby at CVT is a great guy, I am glad it ended up working out for you with out a cage.

4.88 are great, you can definitely feel the difference in the low end power and there is still plenty passing power on the highway.

Reactions: Keith McAlister

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Yeah, CVT guys were great. Wife was having no part of any RTT conversation but after 90 minutes looking them over and then asking questions, I sensed a change in tone. She saw some Maxtrax and asked what they were and after she got the answer she looked at me and said, those are a must buy real soon. I smiled!

3 days later we were on a OB meet up and trail ride and a couple about our age were there with their CVT RTT so my wife asked about the RTT and both spoke highly on it. Now she's talking like we are going to get one.

She still likes the Hiker extreme off road trailer for long trips like out west and such but for quick overnighters or long weekends, the RTT seems to be a better fit. For now we're ground tenting but we'll see how it goes.

MadMax12b

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Kapolei Hawaii
Member #

Awesome Build! I am new to the whole overlanding thing and am planning to build my 2010 GMC Sierra next year. I see a lot of smaller trucks its nice to seem a full size one!

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
Wow, most excellent and approved by the CFO to boot. Good stuff. My ADS shocks and MCM Fab UCA's showed up yesterday. Once the temperatures cool down a bit (middle of September I figure) it will be time to start actually bolting all these goodies on. I'm having a heckuva time trying to find a decent rear bumper with a tire carrier on it though. I've looked at the Hitchgate, but it require 4" space behind the receiver and I want to keep my stock spare there (and add a second to the bumper) so I don't think that will work) Have you been considering any sort of rear bumper with tire carrier option?
Expedition One makes a sweet one. That is what is on my list. http://www.exp-one.com

Keith McAlister

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marietta, Georgia
Member #

Starting to see more Tundras in the OL'ing community. In my local area there are 5 Tundras in various stages and a couple of people have expressed an interest in the Tundra as a future vehicle choice. On FB there is an "All Out Tundra" (AOT) group that goes from Street Queens to Off Roaders to Overlanders and the group continues to grow. This bodes well as it relates to after market parts.

As to the Expedition One swing gate for the Tundra, the photos Expedition One uses is of the Tundra known as Dakar Tundra on insta-gram. The ladder is a local fabrication. I've talked with the owner of the truck and he's done a lot to it including over 700 hp under the hood. He was at Expo West last year and will should be there this year. Another Instagram Tundra is "Dark Matters_theTundra" who I met at Expo East and we've done some of the Georgia Traverse together. Among other things, he runs a Road Armor bumper/swing gate on his rig. Dark Matters is also running in the upcoming Red Clay Rally organized by Overland Tennessee.

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Truck has been in the shop past three weeks getting some new upgrades! Should be back on the road tomorrow!!

Upgrades:

Expedition One Storm Trooper Bumper
Smittybilt 12K X2O winch
Extreme LED lighting Package
- Rock Lights
- 40” LED Light Bar
- 22” LED combo Light Bar
- 6” Amber LED
2018 Tundra LED Black Headlight Housing
Tuff Skinz TOYOTA white lettering Decals
Custom Painted Tow Mirrors
Alu Cab Tilting Fridge Slide
Dometic CFX 95DZW Fridge/Freezer
SPOD HD 8 switch
ARB Dual Compressor CKMTA-12
3lb Air Tank
ARB Rear Hose Connect
Toyota Driver Grab Handle
Factor 55 Ultra Hook

0D14F92A-8655-46D8-B101-DB89E1B3F1B0.jpeg

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Truck is back on the road!! All the upgrades turned out amazing. We got to work closely with a lot of great companies to get the products out quickly! Shout out to Roger at Expedition One , Luke at Drifta and Rin at Alu Cab!!

Expedition One Storm Trooper Bumper
Extreme LED 40” Hood Bulge Bar, 22” combo Bumper Bar, 6” Amber LED bars, Rigid Cubes.
Smittybilt 12k winch terminated w/ Factor 55

B5E8DC1D-999C-44F9-9B6E-32825B111CC2.jpeg

D1DCFD3D-04A4-469D-B00E-8DDE3FF2012B.jpeg

99ABD2A9-023A-4477-B773-6B19F9CE76D2.jpeg

D3B1DDFA-13E1-4330-820C-9032D2C88E0C.jpeg

ARB twin compressor w/ Locker Manifold

6D0F8AF5-D9D2-4938-B504-20CF41D5311F.jpeg

SPOD HD 8 Switch Unit and Odyssey Battery

F3AC60D2-C550-4786-840F-2586111BD2B1.jpeg

97DB22F3-0159-46A5-87A0-C4638AE29E4E.jpeg
Alu Cab 95L Fridge Slide.

B9EADE73-0BD5-4894-9079-CD6821E58E5F.jpeg

Rear Air Hose connection w/ 3lb Air tank

54A6619F-0B90-42E9-AE9A-CFB8615DDD3E.jpeg

Drifta ensuite Shower/Change Room!

09C279BB-F346-4B82-B5D8-961C0A5F36EC.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: Plisken

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

RCI sliders came in Friday should have them on Tuesday. One week left to get the truck ready for our 17 day trip out West! Looking forward to Expo West!

CFTAdventures

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Falling Waters, WV
Member #

Forgot to mention that we got the RCI Steps on the Truck.

If you go with RCI ask for Tim, he had to put up with my time line and got me the product on time!

We start our 17 day trip out west Tomorrow!! Will be making a stop in at expo west! Hope to see everyone out there

BBC32962-6768-4E80-83C6-95CACE11EAA7.jpeg

Reactions: Mike Q