2014 XV Crosstrek Hybrid

• HTML tutorial

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

I am starting this thread because I am new to Overlading and need some ideas on where to start. I also want to document the journey I am about to embark on in creating my first overlanding rig.

I recently bought a 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid. This is my daily driver, but I want to turn it into an overlanding rig. I know that it will not be able to do everything that a 4runner or a truck body can do, but it is a start.

I hope you the overland bound community will enjoy this journey with me.

I have a starting point, I know I need better tires and wheels and a lift kit before I really start exploring. I am just not 100% sure what else I should focus on to get started. A rooftop tent is for me, one of the last things I am looking at.

2014-XV-Crosstrek_Stock.jpg

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Armor! It's not a delicate car but skid plates/dif armor should be high on your list. Primitive would be the company I'd recommend. You're starting with nearly 9" of ground clearance so tires alone will do wonders when you pair it with Subaru AWD but even stock rubber will take you far. Be careful of your nose as mpg increasing front fascias on Subaru's do nothing to help us in the approach angle department.

Welcome and enjoy getting out there with your Subaru!

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

Thank you Wawa Skittletits. I have been looking into Primitive recently. Do you have any good recommendations for Bull bars or do you think the one Primitive has is good enough?

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

You're starting with nearly 9" of ground clearance so tires alone will do wonders when you pair it with Subaru AWD but even stock rubber will take you far.
Definitely! A nice pair of tires will help tons with capability. I'd also take a look at roof racks, as well as recovery equipment. A couple shackles and a recovery strap don't take much space, but will definitely help a lot if you get stuck.

Taking it for a ride is one of the best ways to find out what you do and don't need as well!

Last edited:

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

Thank you 15Canyon. I will keep that in mind. One of the first things I did when I got it off the lot was to take it on our drive on beach to get a small feel for it. Next when I have a little more time I plan on taking it up one of the many logging roads close by to get a better feel for it.

Reactions: 15Canyon

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
To add on to what @15Canyon said. You're going to want a full size spare. This works out because you can do a 5 tire rotation. You'll extend the mileage, have a functional spare on the trails, and you won't have to worry about damaging your drivetrain. The down side is that the spare will most likely end up in the roof basket. Also with everything you purchase keep weight in mind. It will add up so soft shackles as opposed to steel ones will save you lbs. and lighter wheels will help compensate for heavier AT rubber. Help the car help you haha.

Thank you Wawa Skittletits. I have been looking into Primitive recently. Do you have any good recommendations for Bull bars or do you think the one Primitive has is good enough?
If you're not interested in a custom bumper or cutting the existing one the only bumper guard I'd recommend is LP Aventure. It's quite strong and provides great protection.

Reactions: jwsparlin2

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

Thanks @Wawa Skittletits, I have been trying to find another site that has off road gear for the Crosstrek, the LP Aventure recommendation is prefect. I also never through about the added advantage of a 5 tire rotation with a full size spare.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

My fiancée has a crosstrek as well and it constantly amazes me with how well it performs offroad. Some skids, tires and recovery gear as mentioned will get you to plenty of places. I would look at recovery boards because they are easy to use, inexpensive and light weight compared to winches. They should be able to get you out of most situations you encounter if you get stuck, as long as you aren't pushing past its capabilities. We have yet to get ours stuck and we have taken it through some decent mud, sand, snow and rocky terrain in stock form. I second the cargo rack as well because the space inside the XV is great, but it tremendously when adding more gear.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

To add on to what @15Canyon said. You're going to want a full size spare. This works out because you can do a 5 tire rotation. You'll extend the mileage, have a functional spare on the trails, and you won't have to worry about damaging your drivetrain. The down side is that the spare will most likely end up in the roof basket. Also with everything you purchase keep weight in mind. It will add up so soft shackles as opposed to steel ones will save you lbs. and lighter wheels will help compensate for heavier AT rubber. Help the car help you haha.

If you're not interested in a custom bumper or cutting the existing one the only bumper guard I'd recommend is LP Aventure. It's quite strong and provides great protection.

I was just looking at LP Aventure and found this for a spare mount.

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

My fiancée has a crosstrek as well and it constantly amazes me with how well it performs offroad. Some skids, tires and recovery gear as mentioned will get you to plenty of places. I would look at recovery boards because they are easy to use, inexpensive and light weight compared to winches. They should be able to get you out of most situations you encounter if you get stuck, as long as you aren't pushing past its capabilities. We have yet to get ours stuck and we have taken it through some decent mud, sand, snow and rocky terrain in stock form. I second the cargo rack as well because the space inside the XV is great, but it tremendously when adding more gear.
For recovery boards, what do you recommend? I have seen the main product from maxtrax but I have also seen a lot of other companies that make a similar product.

Reactions: Daniel Etter

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks @Wawa Skittletits, I have been trying to find another site that has off road gear for the Crosstrek, the LP Aventure recommendation is prefect. I also never through about the added advantage of a 5 tire rotation with a full size spare.
No problem. We have a great community here and part of that is how helpful everyone is.

I was just looking at LP Aventure and found this for a spare mount.
I'm so on the fence with that. It's pricey but well built and convenient. The thing I can't get over is how much it will impact your departure angle unless you do a custom rear bumper.

For recovery boards, what do you recommend? I have seen the main product from maxtrax but I have also seen a lot of other companies that make a similar product.
Traction Jack. Space is already at a premium and those fold in half.

Reactions: 15Canyon

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

No problem. We have a great community here and part of that is how helpful everyone is.

I'm so on the fence with that. It's pricey but well built and convenient. The thing I can't get over is how much it will impact your departure angle unless you do a custom rear bumper.
It would be nice if they would make a class 3 or even a class 1 with a 2" receiver that would fit in the hitch cut out for the Crosstrek. Apparently they make a hidden hitch for it but it is only for a small class 1 hitch.

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

I agree with traction jacks like @Wawa Skittletits and @15Canyon said because they are foldable to save space and they are relatively tuff. There are a few other brands that collapse to save space but these seem to be the best in its category so far that I have seen.

Young Satchel

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I agree with traction jacks like @Wawa Skittletits and @15Canyon said because they are foldable to save space and they are relatively tuff. There are a few other brands that collapse to save space but these seem to be the best in its category so far that I have seen.
I'm a 4th in this department!

They just got me out of my first jam last week. Very happy with how they perform and the fact they for under my wagon's rear floor is fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tyler Higgins

Tyler Higgins

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Houston,TX
Member #

What is the preferred radio style, CB or HAM radio? I know with the HAM radio I would need to get a licence to use it. Is CB still popular?

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I still use CB and am considering adding a mounted FRS radio to the wagon instead of dealing with handhelds all the time. A lot more people that I travel with use FRS. HAM has its obvious advantages but I don't know a single person who uses it.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
No problem. It's a personnel preference at this point. Do a CB and pick up a handheld FRS. If you use the handheld a ton I'd consider the base radio.

Reactions: Tyler Higgins