2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

• HTML tutorial

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

I got the jeep last weekend! I have already done a couple upgrades and have a list that just keep growing!

The first ones up on the list were tires!, and headlights! As everyone knows jeep stock headlights suck! So being on a budget i found some brighter bulbs that seem to be working for now! Soon though, New headlights all together will be installed! As for tires, I went with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs! I have ran BFG KO2's before and General Grabber AT2's. I absolutely loved both and decided i wanted to do something different! My best friend loves his Duratracs so i decided to try them out.. As it is a stock jeep with no lift, i went with 265 70 R17. I decided to go fairly stock because I am not planning on buying things for the jeep until i need it! Ergo the headlights (the stock ones suck!) and the tires (bad highway tires) I live in snow and frequently drive over a pass so i wanted something snow rated! Until i want to tackle things that require more of a lift or my shocks decide to give up, I have no intention of lifting! Hopefully you decide to follow along! I hope to have lots of pictures along the way! Feel free to ask any questions or give any suggestions! I am always happy to hear them and would love the input! IMG_2328.jpg

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Looking forward to seeing the progress! What's first in line?
Hey Thanks! First in line were tires and headlight bulbs! After that some offroading gear, camping gear, probably a roof rack and tent, then a offroad trailer down the line! Hope to keep yah entertained! Feel free to give any advice! Looks like you have a solid build! Hope to reach your level some day!

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Hey Thanks! First in line were tires and headlight bulbs! After that some offroading gear, camping gear, probably a roof rack and tent, then a offroad trailer down the line! Hope to keep yah entertained! Feel free to give any advice! Looks like you have a solid build! Hope to reach your level some day!
Hey Zach! Looks like you're starting out on the right foot.....better traction and visibility!:smile: Sounds like you have some good plans for what you want to do! I love seeing the progress of a vehicle from the start. It's always interesting to see the choices people make on their vehicle gear and equipment. We are definitely on the best forum/outlet to get some great advice from folks, with no attitude. Members are just genuinely nice and helpful on OB, and it's very refreshing. Great community, and I'm sure others will be excited to watch your build!

Side note....you a mountain biker at all? Friend has a great shop out there in Bend!

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Hey Zach! Looks like you're starting out on the right foot.....better traction and visibility!:smile: Sounds like you have some good plans for what you want to do! I love seeing the progress of a vehicle from the start. It's always interesting to see the choices people make on their vehicle gear and equipment. We are definitely on the best forum/outlet to get some great advice from folks, with no attitude. Members are just genuinely nice and helpful on OB, and it's very refreshing. Great community, and I'm sure others will be excited to watch your build!

Side note....you a mountain biker at all? Friend has a great shop out there in Bend!
I used to be a Mountain Biker, I have since had life get in the way with college and getting engaged and have unfortunately not had time to get into a new bike yet, but that is also on the list of "camping gear" or at least in respect to the fiance it is! Gives me an excuse to drop some money on one some day! What shop is it?!? I am intrigued!!

Reactions: sabjku

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I used to be a Mountain Biker, I have since had life get in the way with college and getting engaged and have unfortunately not had time to get into a new bike yet, but that is also on the list of "camping gear" or at least in respect to the fiance it is! Gives me an excuse to drop some money on one some day! What shop is it?!? I am intrigued!!
Ahhhh.....life. It does get busy at times! Hopefully she enjoys the camping and offroad life!

Project Bike. Super cool shop.

Reactions: Zach Jacobe

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

Alright! Ill be sure to check it out when i have a free weekend! any suggestions on good next mod in your opinion?
Awesome! Ya know, that's tough. It really all depends on what you value more, and what you WANT to do next. For me, suspension and tires was always the first couple of things, and I think it is for most people. Let's face it, most of us want a lifted vehicle, whether it's out of necessity or want is a different subject, but we all love the look of a lifted Jeep, or whatever vehicle we're in. It's not cheap to do decent suspension, but I think it's the one thing that puts the biggest smile on our faces when it comes to mods, because it's both a performance and visual upgrade.

**EDIT....just re-read your original post Zach. Scratch suspension for now I guess:tonguewink: On a more practical level, I take it you purchased it used? If so, are you certain all of the basic maintenance of the vehicle is up to date, brakes are good, etc? This seems elementary but it's important.

Last edited:

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

H
Awesome! Ya know, that's tough. It really all depends on what you value more, and what you WANT to do next. For me, suspension and tires was always the first couple of things, and I think it is for most people. Let's face it, most of us want a lifted vehicle, whether it's out of necessity or want is a different subject, but we all love the look of a lifted Jeep, or whatever vehicle we're in. It's not cheap to do decent suspension, but I think it's the one thing that puts the biggest smile on our faces when it comes to mods, because it's both a performance and visual upgrade.

**EDIT....just re-read your original post Zach. Scratch suspension for now I guess:tonguewink: On a more practical level, I take it you purchased it used? If so, are you certain all of the basic maintenance of the vehicle is up to date, brakes are good, etc? This seems elementary but it's important.
Hmmmm Very interesting, i know the jeep was well maintained but is there any odd ball routine maintenance that someone who has never owned a jeep wouldnt think of?! Thats all i can think of!

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Alright! First round of MODS!!!!

First up, I have been on two little trips and have already bent my antenna!!! So here is the first mod! A short flexible antenna! IMG_2398.jpg IMG_2399.jpg

Secondly! When i bought this rig there was some damage to the back driver side! Someone hit something with the jeep! Anyway the license plate bracket had to go! So here is the new one installed! With a few pieces of hardware of my own to hold it better!IMG_2400.jpg

A couple of handy mods to keep things in order! Ill be back soon with another mod that I brought with me from my previous rig! I just havent had time to post about it!

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Here is another picture of the bracket i forgot to attach!IMG_2401.jpg

Both of these are easy installs, i loosed the bumper and took off the tail light so i could access the bottom bolts easier but you can do it without both of these things. I also wanted to make sure no wires got squished when i reattached the bracket! It also made it much eaiser to add different hardware to attach it better.

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Alright time for my OCD to kick in a little!! This has been missing since day one, not a necessary upgrade but one that satisfys my ocd! super easy install!
IMG_2408.jpg IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2410.jpg

Nothing to crazy but enough to make it look complete!!

Reactions: sabjku and Jimmy P

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Alrighty, time for the next round of upgrades!

#1!
I was given a "used" Pittsburgh farm jack, also known as a knock off Hi-Lift jack. After doing some research i found it to be the harbor freight special! So someday i will upgrade to the name brand and not feel so scared when i use it but for now, on it goes for a good tool to get used! As for mounting it i chose to go name brand. I purchased the new hi lift hood mount for jeeps. This came out when the JL's did but you can still use it on the later year JK's! So i went for it thinking down the road i wouldn't need to buy other brackets for ditch lights! So here it is all mounted and pretty! Although some may think I am lying, since i put the jack on, i am getting 25% more jeep waves! Not sure if it is good or bad but its fun! Hope they don't think i am a mall crawler!IMG_2443.jpg IMG_2444.jpg

To continue on upgrade #2 isn't a hard install at all! Some would say it adds 20hp and it seems faster since I installed it! Also, I finally had a sunny day so that I could install it! Her she is! I like the placement! Where is you all put your emblems!IMG_2446.jpg

Thanks for stopping in! Next upgrade will be a CB since my current group refuses to use HAM, so of to grab a CB radio that will work for me! Then HAM later on down the road! Stay tuned for that! We shall see what I come up with!!

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

So far so good! Nice additions to the rig. I also like your badge placement. Never thought of that one before!
Well Thanks! I am in love with my Jeep I should have gotten one years ago! Not to many big upgrades yet but they are to come! I need to get married this summer! So most of the jeep fund is now a wedding fund! But as soon as the honeymoon is over! It will be time for the jeep to get some love! Thanks for the comment and stay tuned for some upcoming upgrades! Also, I'm always looking for suggestions from fellow Jeepers! So feel free if you have a suggestion!

Reactions: Nickzero

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Hey Everyone! Time for a poll! I have decided to look into steel bumpers. I love the look of the stock mopar steel bumper from the hard rock addtion. But they are rather expensive new and i have no luck finding them used. My other option is the arb bumper for the jk. I love the way it looks and i like that it uses the factory crush cans... Not many bumpers do that?!?! Any thoughts and or recommendations would be very appreciated!!!! Thanks everyone!

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Nice build, look forward to following as you progress. I am a new Jeep owner now, just picked up a 2015 JKU Rubicon, I plan on basing my build on Overlanding and 4x4 fun. I am in the process of obtaining several small mods (door sill guards, CB install, etc) and I have been working on my recovery gear and tools. Again, great start and looking forward to learning new mods from you.

Thanks

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Alrighty, time for the next round of upgrades!

#1!
I was given a "used" Pittsburgh farm jack, also known as a knock off Hi-Lift jack. After doing some research i found it to be the harbor freight special! So someday i will upgrade to the name brand and not feel so scared when i use it but for now, on it goes for a good tool to get used! As for mounting it i chose to go name brand. I purchased the new hi lift hood mount for jeeps. This came out when the JL's did but you can still use it on the later year JK's! So i went for it thinking down the road i wouldn't need to buy other brackets for ditch lights! So here it is all mounted and pretty! Although some may think I am lying, since i put the jack on, i am getting 25% more jeep waves! Not sure if it is good or bad but its fun! Hope they don't think i am a mall crawler!View attachment 83761 View attachment 83763

To continue on upgrade #2 isn't a hard install at all! Some would say it adds 20hp and it seems faster since I installed it! Also, I finally had a sunny day so that I could install it! Her she is! I like the placement! Where is you all put your emblems!View attachment 83766

Thanks for stopping in! Next upgrade will be a CB since my current group refuses to use HAM, so of to grab a CB radio that will work for me! Then HAM later on down the road! Stay tuned for that! We shall see what I come up with!!
It may look cool (to some) but that location is dangerous for such weight held by two bolts...
In a frontal crash, that thing will fly straight into the other guy's face. He dies, you go to jail.
My 2c.

NorthwestMech

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Monroe, WA
Member #

Hey Everyone! Time for a poll! I have decided to look into steel bumpers. I love the look of the stock mopar steel bumper from the hard rock addtion. But they are rather expensive new and i have no luck finding them used. My other option is the arb bumper for the jk. I love the way it looks and i like that it uses the factory crush cans... Not many bumpers do that?!?! Any thoughts and or recommendations would be very appreciated!!!! Thanks everyone!
I had an ARB stubby bumper on my 2010 wrangler loved it but needed a good amount of trimming to fit my Zeon 10s winch on it. Currently am using a ARB rear bumper and tire carrier on my 2013, love it.