2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

• HTML tutorial

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

It may look cool (to some) but that location is dangerous for such weight held by two bolts...
In a frontal crash, that thing will fly straight into the other guy's face. He dies, you go to jail.
My 2c.
Fair enough 2 cents @jeep670 !! After some use with the jack in this location I have discovered three things! #1, Farm jack mechanisms are shaped slightly differently than the traditional "hi-lift" jacks and I have a small dent in my cowl! (Oh well, it builds character right!?!?) #2, It blocks my windshield washer sprayers and I live in a tremendously dusty place so I use them all the time and they have been rendered useless! So it blocks the spray even though the product description states that it does not block the spray pattern, which makes the product useless for me! Finally #3, besides the fact that 4 bolts hold the whole setup in place, the farm jack does not have the same hole pattern in the center post so it is a tight fit on the support post and holds tension in between the hood hinges!

So I have learned my first upgrade lesson! Sometimes things aren't as good as they seem to be! Time for an update! After this trial phase, I removed the jack 2 weeks ago and decided to sell the mounts and put the money towards a different mounting setup(TBD). Most likely on the back of the rig. If i may ask, if you use a hi lift style jack where do you keep it, and if not what do you use as a replacement for trail repairs?

As always thank you for your input and opinions on this upgrade! Hope to here from you soon with a response to my above question! Also, perfect timing if I may say! I was about to get on a give an update of the setup! But you beat me too it! If anyone has any questions on what I have stated above let me know and we will chat!!!!!

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: JCWages

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

I had an ARB stubby bumper on my 2010 wrangler loved it but needed a good amount of trimming to fit my Zeon 10s winch on it. Currently am using a ARB rear bumper and tire carrier on my 2013, love it.
Very interesting about the trimming! I have considered the stubby bumper. I currently do not plan to do a of rock crawling so I have been looking at the full width bumper. Is stubby a personal preference? Or did you go that route for the extra approach? Or BOTH?!?! I have considered the stubby option which is why I have considered the stock steel mopar since it is convertible between a full width and stubby bumper!! Some inside would be awesome since I am so undecided!!

Thanks for the comment on the build! Let me know if you have anymore thoughts on this on any suggestions for the build!!!

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Nice build, look forward to following as you progress. I am a new Jeep owner now, just picked up a 2015 JKU Rubicon, I plan on basing my build on Overlanding and 4x4 fun. I am in the process of obtaining several small mods (door sill guards, CB install, etc) and I have been working on my recovery gear and tools. Again, great start and looking forward to learning new mods from you.

Thanks
Nice! I am absolutely in love with my wrangler I should have swapped to this years ago! I wish I was in the financial area to find what i wanted with "Rubicon" attached to it but alas! I have what i have and I am still in love with this rig! Thanks for the comment man! Let me know if you have any questions on my build or if you have any suggestions! To counter your comment if you don't mind me asking, what CB are you going to go with?!

Reactions: Marman

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Fair enough 2 cents @jeep670 !! After some use with the jack in this location I have discovered three things! #1, Farm jack mechanisms are shaped slightly differently than the traditional "hi-lift" jacks and I have a small dent in my cowl! (Oh well, it builds character right!?!?) #2, It blocks my windshield washer sprayers and I live in a tremendously dusty place so I use them all the time and they have been rendered useless! So it blocks the spray even though the product description states that it does not block the spray pattern, which makes the product useless for me! Finally #3, besides the fact that 4 bolts hold the whole setup in place, the farm jack does not have the same hole pattern in the center post so it is a tight fit on the support post and holds tension in between the hood hinges!

So I have learned my first upgrade lesson! Sometimes things aren't as good as they seem to be! Time for an update! After this trial phase, I removed the jack 2 weeks ago and decided to sell the mounts and put the money towards a different mounting setup(TBD). Most likely on the back of the rig. If i may ask, if you use a hi lift style jack where do you keep it, and if not what do you use as a replacement for trail repairs?

As always thank you for your input and opinions on this upgrade! Hope to here from you soon with a response to my above question! Also, perfect timing if I may say! I was about to get on a give an update of the setup! But you beat me too it! If anyone has any questions on what I have stated above let me know and we will chat!!!!!

Thanks again everyone!
I do not use a hi-lift jack. If I need one, someone in the group has one.
I am cautious on the trail so I had no breakages, so far.

Reactions: Zach Jacobe

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

This is a awesome picture! I have always loved that color jeep! How do you like your Duratracs? I have about 3,000 miles on mine and I love them!?!? Any complaints?
Thanks. I hunted for that color for weeks to find the only one available in the Greater Toronto Area. It's a 2014 JKUR. Daily driven.
I love my Duratracs! Mine have about 35.000 miles on them. They are great all around for Canada. My only regret is that they don't make them in 37". So I'll have to move on at some point in the future...

NorthwestMech

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Monroe, WA
Member #

Very interesting about the trimming! I have considered the stubby bumper. I currently do not plan to do a of rock crawling so I have been looking at the full width bumper. Is stubby a personal preference? Or did you go that route for the extra approach? Or BOTH?!?! I have considered the stubby option which is why I have considered the stock steel mopar since it is convertible between a full width and stubby bumper!! Some inside would be awesome since I am so undecided!!

Thanks for the comment on the build! Let me know if you have anymore thoughts on this on any suggestions for the build!!!
My idea for the the stubby bumper was a bit of two ideas, mixed off road use, so I wanted the clearance, and I wanted to try a low center of gravity build, cause the rig was my wife’s daily driver.

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Nice! I am absolutely in love with my wrangler I should have swapped to this years ago! I wish I was in the financial area to find what i wanted with "Rubicon" attached to it but alas! I have what i have and I am still in love with this rig! Thanks for the comment man! Let me know if you have any questions on my build or if you have any suggestions! To counter your comment if you don't mind me asking, what CB are you going to go with?!
I have the Cobra 75 WX St, I went with this one because the control box can be mounted under dash and the mic can be hidden/removed. If you look on YouTube you can find great vids of installs and even complete installation kits.

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

I do not use a hi-lift jack. If I need one, someone in the group has one.
I am cautious on the trail so I had no breakages, so far.
I try to be cautious as well! My thoughts for having one is that i mainly roll with my best friend and it is a toss up if he has his jack or not and I have not purchased a winch yet, so in a pinch I can use it as a make shift winch. Like I had mentioned before, the jack was free so i figured why not. My only concern is that I am going to move it to the back of the rig eventually and with a spare tire, AEV spare gas tank and then the jack, I am definitely going to need a tire carrier. and when i get the tire carrier i am not sure if i want to put the jack on it anyway. So i am not sure on what do with this overly heavy jack... Maybe a 6 ton bottle jack of emergencies..... Who knows.. Well thanks for the information and I will look forward to your opinion in future upgrades!

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

My idea for the the stubby bumper was a bit of two ideas, mixed off road use, so I wanted the clearance, and I wanted to try a low center of gravity build, cause the rig was my wife’s daily driver.
Oh yeah? I have thought about the low center of gravity build. My only concern is that for some of the trails the low center of gravity may lead to poor trail performance with lower ground clearance (with it in my mind that stock jeeps are very capable). I think my overall suspension will be sitting on 35"-37" with a 2.5"-3.5" lift. I am not sure if that is really a low center of gravity build or not but the ones I have rode in with that setup seem to be pretty stable on and off road.. So many options to choose from! What have you done to your "low center of gravity build @NorthwestMech ??

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

I have the Cobra 75 WX St, I went with this one because the control box can be mounted under dash and the mic can be hidden/removed. If you look on YouTube you can find great vids of installs and even complete installation kits.
Interesting!!! i will look into that! I have been considering the Midland 75-822. Since it is compact and easily taken out and stored for daily driving!! I will definitely need to look into the Cobra 75 WX ST! It sounds like it might fit my needs! How is it functioning for you?

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Alright next topic! Exterior Lighting!! Anyone upgrade their Jepp "candle" headlights!?! I think i am going headlights and fog lights before any offroad lights! i like the JW Speaker but they are so pricy. I know that they are great quality, but I am curious if anyone else has found great quality for a cheaper price.

NorthwestMech

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Monroe, WA
Member #

Oh yeah? I have thought about the low center of gravity build. My only concern is that for some of the trails the low center of gravity may lead to poor trail performance with lower ground clearance (with it in my mind that stock jeeps are very capable). I think my overall suspension will be sitting on 35"-37" with a 2.5"-3.5" lift. I am not sure if that is really a low center of gravity build or not but the ones I have rode in with that setup seem to be pretty stable on and off road.. So many options to choose from! What have you done to your "low center of gravity build @NorthwestMech ??
Funny enough... got rid of it. The 3.8 motor was starting to crap out. So I traded it for a 2013 rubicon with a 3-4” lift on 35”s. IMG_0761.JPG

• Love

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Your ground clearance is dictated by your tire size. It does not matter if your lift is 2" or 8" as your lowest clearance point is the diff. So bigher tires = higher clearance under diff/axle.

Reactions: JCWages

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Alright next topic! Exterior Lighting!! Anyone upgrade their Jepp "candle" headlights!?! I think i am going headlights and fog lights before any offroad lights! i like the JW Speaker but they are so pricy. I know that they are great quality, but I am curious if anyone else has found great quality for a cheaper price.
I prefer halogen for headlights so I got the IPF jk headlights with the 4000K IPF bulbs. You can see them in my pics above. The colour of light makes the biggest difference over the yellow factory bulbs. The IPF healighrs are also glass (not plastic) and have a proper pattern compared to the stock jk lights.
I use led lights (as you can see) but never for driving beams.