2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

• HTML tutorial

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Your ground clearance is dictated by your tire size. It does not matter if your lift is 2" or 8" as your lowest clearance point is the diff. So bigher tires = higher clearance under diff/axle.
True true, I was mainly referring to the the body clearance, and that height compared to rocks, obstacles and my wife being able to get in and out! HAHA but very true! I think ill probably go 37" some day but probably 35" next!

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

That does look good in comparison!! I am not sure what to do!!! Ill have to do a lot of research!
It's your jeep and your $. Do whatever you want/like. All you need is a strong winch mount/support. Anything else is a matter of taste.
When I first got the full width bumper I had in mind protection in terms of "wildlife control". But then I realized I don't have kangaroos running in front of me all the time. At most, in my region, moose is more prevalent. But no bumper will protect against a moose coming through the windshield (they are big and tall). So I dropped the full width and got narrow. I still got the thick bar for frontal protection of the radiator, so I'm good and much lighter.

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

True true, I was mainly referring to the the body clearance, and that height compared to rocks, obstacles and my wife being able to get in and out! HAHA but very true! I think ill probably go 37" some day but probably 35" next!
I'm only 2" on 35s, so not that tall.
Wife complained at first but I pretended I did not hear anything, so she had to get used. No joking.
I mean, I spent $ and time and effort to lift the jeep... Am I gonna lower it now cause you're not tall enough? I made it clear that the height of the jeep can only go up. Never heard complains since.

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Interesting!!! i will look into that! I have been considering the Midland 75-822. Since it is compact and easily taken out and stored for daily driving!! I will definitely need to look into the Cobra 75 WX ST! It sounds like it might fit my needs! How is it functioning for you?
I am planning on install this weekend, just got all the parts in. As for lights, I just got a set of JW Speakers in this week as well and will try to install this weekend.

Reactions: Zach Jacobe

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
Funny enough... got rid of it. The 3.8 motor was starting to crap out. So I traded it for a 2013 rubicon with a 3-4” lift on 35”s.
Really nice set-up there, exactly what I am planning (i got a white Rubi with black top). I have a MetalCloak 3.5" lift on order and plan on 35's. I really never looked at chrome wheels; always looked at black, but they look good on the white.

Reactions: NorthwestMech

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

So here is a question for all of you smart people! I didn't realize it when i bought the Jeep. Every car has TPMS in them these days, but only some have the TPMS that display the individual sensors. I know there are Wranglers that have this. Mine does not. How can I or can i even get this put in the jeep? Is it just a computer flash upgrade from the dealer? or is it a mechanism that would send and receive these pressures??? I have not been able to find a thing on this process!!! Any info would be amazing!

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Alright,

Time for a small cosmetic upgrade! Here it is my NEW JL!!!!!!!! Okay... Okay! Its the same JK! But these JL Hood Latches really dress up the front! ANDDDDDD there is no more hood flutter due to the metal hook rather than the rubber latches!!!! This was an awesome little purchase! Let me know what you guys think!! I like the look of these much more than any of the after market latches out on the market! What is the latest upgrade you have done to your rig?!?!
IMG_2682.jpgIMG_2683.jpgIMG_2685.jpg

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Alrighty!! Well I have been super busy with work which means no time for upgrades!!! But now the work is over and the money is here! Time to upgrade. This is a facebook marketplace special here! I found factory mopar rock rails which I love the look of! I know that these offer an average amount of protection to the jeep but #1 it is better than NOTHING! #2 I LOVE the way they look, and for what I am doing I don't need huge rock sliders! Also, for $50 for sliders in excellent condition, I couldn't say no!
IMG_2926.jpg
IMG_2927.jpg

Alright what else!?!?!?! UMMMMMMM SUMMER!!!!! Anyone super that summer is finally arriving..... most places! I can't wait to get out there with the top off and get dirty!!

Alright what else have I done to the Jeep? AH!! I found out about 2 weeks ago that my rig used to be a tow rig before I got it! So I found all of this junk and turned it into this beautiful piece of art that satisfied my OCD!!!

IMG_2880.jpg
IMG_2888.jpg

This also was causing a short in my tail lights because the connectors were not staying connected! SOOO it needed to be fixed and now I have piece of mind that they will work 100%!!
As for other things on the the jeep, I decided to give the jeep a detail and make it look nice and to get a good base for paint protection! I know it is an offroad rig, but I am a car junky and I love detailed cars so I'll keep mine looking amazing on the street and on the dirt! I was amazed with the results! What do you think!?!?!
IMG_2850.jpgIMG_2851.jpg

Alright! Now before I end this horribly long post! I want your guys opinions on these below topics!

#1 - I have been contemplating getting my fender flares x-lined, I wanted to plasti-dip them but if they get touched by almost anything on the trail and or when washing it, it will start to come off. So I am thinking about x-lining them! What do you think about this treatment!?!

#2 - What do you think of these new JW Speaker Headlights? No specs have been released yet.... do you think that it is worth $1000 for a pair!?!
IMG_2890.PNGIMG_2891.PNG

Anyway feel free to comment on any or all of this post! Let me know your thoughts and suggestions!

If you made it this far, THANKS for reading! Have a great memorial day!!!

Last edited:

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

My Rubicon stock rock rails (the same you got) took serious beatings and did not move 1mm. They do the job very well. Sure, there are stronger options but, from what all I saw on youtube, they are for people that do not know how to take a proper line.

• Haha

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Hello Everyone!

Just thought I would post some pictures from a couple of trips i have taken over the last couple weekends! I got to get out with some great friends and made great memories! I hope everyone got to explore and have fun over the 4th! Let me know if you have any questions or comments! I would love to see your adventures too!IMG_3024.jpg
IMG_0597.jpg
IMG_0633.jpgIMG_3146.jpgIMG_3159.jpgIMG_0636.jpg

And for anyone with an eye for detail yes, i did do some cosmetic upgrades to make the jeep look a little more like what i have pictured! Ergo, red tow hooks (Knock off rubicon) honestly I love how it just makes the hooks pop i was surprised how much i actually liked it! I also added "wrangler" hood decals to break up all that silver! Last but not least, i re-plasti dipped my rim because the previous owner did a really shotty job and now with 6 coats of black and 3 coats of glossifier they look great even after some trail rash!

Thanks for reading!

redhat6161

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Patrick
Member #

Alright,

Time for a small cosmetic upgrade! Here it is my NEW JL!!!!!!!! Okay... Okay! Its the same JK! But these JL Hood Latches really dress up the front! ANDDDDDD there is no more hood flutter due to the metal hook rather than the rubber latches!!!! This was an awesome little purchase! Let me know what you guys think!! I like the look of these much more than any of the after market latches out on the market! What is the latest upgrade you have done to your rig?!?!
View attachment 90490View attachment 90491View attachment 90492
thinking of doing the same. two questions - how difficult is the swap and did you order these directly from Jeep?

Marman

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Pleasant Hill, MO
First Name
Larry
Last Name
Marlowe
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
I have done the JL latch swap as well. Super simple and really works, I have not had any hood bounce since.

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

thinking of doing the same. two questions - how difficult is the swap and did you order these directly from Jeep?

The difficulty depends entirely on how much you like drilling into your beautiful jeep! That was painful for me! (My first time;) ) the only reason this is technically an "Install" is that to get the correct lines and a consistent reveal you need to drill out the holes to have enough adjustability to get those lines and to get it to fit properly in existing holes. Super simple install if you have any questions I would highly reccomend "JK Gear and Gadgets" on you tube. he does a great in depth install. As for where i purchased them, i went cheap on amazon. I took the risk and in my opinion it paid off. They had great reviews on them and so far they seem to be great quality and should hold up for a very long time. My main factor for going amazon was price i saved like $60 bucks on my pair! Let me know if you need/ want any more information! I would be happy to supply anything i can! @redhat6161

Reactions: redhat6161

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

I have done the JL latch swap as well. Super simple and really works, I have not had any hood bounce since.
Did you go mopar or knockoff? How difficult was the adjustment of the holes for you? How are your reveals on the hood? - Front and sides?

redhat6161

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Mill, SC, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Patrick
Member #

The difficulty depends entirely on how much you like drilling into your beautiful jeep! That was painful for me! (My first time;) ) the only reason this is technically an "Install" is that to get the correct lines and a consistent reveal you need to drill out the holes to have enough adjustability to get those lines and to get it to fit properly in existing holes. Super simple install if you have any questions I would highly reccomend "JK Gear and Gadgets" on you tube. he does a great in depth install. As for where i purchased them, i went cheap on amazon. I took the risk and in my opinion it paid off. They had great reviews on them and so far they seem to be great quality and should hold up for a very long time. My main factor for going amazon was price i saved like $60 bucks on my pair! Let me know if you need/ want any more information! I would be happy to supply anything i can! @redhat6161
Thank you!

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Hey Hey! I am back! Sorry i was off getting married and enjoying my honeymoon! Anyway I found a cool patch in hawaii and was bummed to find out that they only had iron on! So after a little research i managed to make a velco patch! This stuff works great and i thought that i would share it! Just run to home depot and buy some velco brand hook and loop (velco) tape strips. These things have the best commerical grade adhesive than any other brand i looked at! It works great and i do not see them coming off any time soon! Let me know what you guys think! Or if you have any suggestions!IMG_3314.jpgIMG_3315.jpgIMG_3316.jpgIMG_3313.jpg

Reactions: Marman

Zach Jacobe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bend Oregon
Member #

Also! Upgrades coming soon and reviews/ install thoughts and comments are following after!

1. KC Hilites Gravity Pro 7" LED Headlights
2. KC Hilites Gravity G4 Amber Fog Lights
3. Alpine Radio with Carplay and a backup camera for behind that beautiful spare tire!

Thoughts to come!