Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

In May of 2014 I purchased a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S. At this time I wasn’t really familiar with Overlanding nor offroad vehicles. A buddy of mine had purchased a Toyota Tacoma a couple months before and to keep up I upgraded my Compass to a Wrangler. Prior to purchasing my Wrangler, I had never exactly turned a wrench on a vehicle. Little did I know how addicting this would become.

Fast forward a bit and I can happily say I am much more familiar with the term Overlanding and my Jeep as a vehicle. Over that time I have purchased and installed some parts to fit the vehicle to my style, and with that, here is my build. It has taken many twists and turns, but has turned out to be something I can truly enjoy.

OLB001.jpg
Stock, May 2014
Suspension:

- Teraflex 2.5" Coil Lift
- 1” and 0.5” Spacers front and rear, respectively
- Fox 2.0 Remote Reservoir Shocks (valved for my coils)
- Teraflex quick disconnects

In hindsight, I probably should have went with 3" or 3.5" out of the gate. At the time though, my research told me I had would have to fiddle around with a bunch of stuff I was unfamiliar with, and I was installing this kit myself. Lesson learnt, though. Buy once, cry once.

Anyhow, after adding a bumper and other weight I started to notice a bit of sag in the front. I used this an excuse to add some spacers and giving me a total of 3” lift.

OLB002.jpg
35" KM2's w/ 2.5" Teraflex Lift, October 2015
Tires & Wheels:

- 37x12.5R17 BF Goodwrich KO2
- 17” AEV Salta wheels

I may as well be a tire tester… First I started with 33x12.5R15 Goodyear Duratracs and steel wheels, this was okay but really wasn’t satisfying me needs. So after a year on the Duratracs I stepped up to 35x12.5R15 BFG KM2’s on the same steel wheels. I ran those for a bit too, then made the decision to bite the bullet and jump into a set of the Salta’s. I wrapped those with Goodyear MTR/K’s in 35x12.5R17. Then most recently, I satisfied I put a set of the KO2’s on to satisfy my curiosity on the “best” tire. Great choice thus far.

OLB003.jpg
Stock suspension w/ 33" Duratracs, July 2014
OLB004.jpg
2.5" Teraflex lift w/ 35" MTR/K's and Salta Wheels, August 2016

Armor:

- AEV front bumper
- AEV rear tire carrier
- Poison Spyder Diff Cover

Stupid decisions were made here too. I originally upgraded to MCE Flat Fenders and an ARB Stubby bumper because It was the same price as an AEV bumper alone. Well, I wasn’t that happy with it and always loved the AEV Jeeps, so when I found a local dealer I went ahead and snatched up the front bumper.

OLB005.jpg
2.5" Teraflex lift w/ MCE Fenders and 35" KM2's, October 2015
Lighting:

- 7" KC Hi-Lites

The JK stocks lights are horrible, so an upgrade was in order. Currently I'm looking into some off road driving lights too.

Performance:

- Superchips Flashpaq w/ 87 Octane Tune
- K&N Air Filter

To compensate for the larger tires, without regearing I'm currently running a Superchips. When the front axle bites the dust an upgrade is in order.

Current & Future Plans:

So they say things can never be finished, and I plan on a matching on doing a couple of things.

- AEV Rear Bumper
- Fridge/Freezer
- SPOD
- Offroad Lights
- Winch
- Front control arms
- AEV Fuel Caddy

OLB007.jpg
3" Teraflex lift w/ 37" KO2's and Salta Wheels, May 2017

Attachments

Last edited:

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Good build so far. Any issues yet running 35's on the Dana 30 front axle? I had mine sleeved and gusseted in anticipation of running 35's, but ended up deciding to stay on 33's for overlanding.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Good build so far. Any issues yet running 35's on the Dana 30 front axle? I had mine sleeved and gusseted in anticipation of running 35's, but ended up deciding to stay on 33's for overlanding.
I haven't had any issues yet, but I don't do much crawling and I don't have a lead foot. I'm not going to throw any money at the front axle until it goes kaput, at which point I'll replace it with a D44.

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Nice work. Im running cut fenders and a stubby bumper. Did you sell the MCEs?
I did. I sold them along with the ARB front stubby bumper to a guy for a killer deal. Happy to see other Jeepers build up their dream rigs! In Canada those MCE fenders are crazy pricey now (for what they are), $1000!

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I got around to replacing the OEM headlights, which Jeep owners know are rubbish. In their place went some KC LED Lights.

I haven't had a chance to test them at night with no street lights, but LEDs surely beat the stock Halogen lights.

IMG_0647.JPG

IMG_0646.JPG

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

I was pleased to pickup some Fox remote reservoir shocks from Northridge on black Friday. I got to install them last night and look forward to testing them out.

15410008_10154595747595590_172391596_o.jpg

15540557_10154595747855590_1124886733_o.jpg

Update: the shocks help the Jeep handle much better, no more body roll. On the highway the Jeep also rides much better, but on rough roads going at a low speed you certainly feel these are a bit stiff, possibly because the rear of my Jeep is so light.

Last edited:

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

While not a modification, what better way to adorn your Overland vehicle than with these awesome new BC Parks license plates. Picked mine up today, and the picture on my plate is of the Purcell mountain range in SE British Columbia.

Reactions: Gare

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Today was a good day. Today I mounted a set of BFG KO2's onto the Jeep, to replace the Goodyear MTR/K. But this time, I got them in the 37" size, because I know BFG's run small. Basically, they are less than an inch taller than the 35" MTR/K I took off.

OLB007.jpg

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Fellow Jeeper

Rank V

Influencer II

Latrobe Pa
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Bobincheck
Just a quick heads up, watch your reservoirs. I have a set of billsteins on my jk. Had one come lose while on the trail. Anyway it got crushed and started to leak. Had the HD clamps and everything. After that I ended up mounting them horizontal across the rear cross member above the rear wheels. Used 2 hose clamps per. Not to scare you. Just don't want you to damage those pretty things.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

boehml

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

British Columbia
First Name
Liam
Last Name
-
Member #

Just a quick heads up, watch your reservoirs. I have a set of billsteins on my jk. Had one come lose while on the trail. Anyway it got crushed and started to leak. Had the HD clamps and everything. After that I ended up mounting them horizontal across the rear cross member above the rear wheels. Used 2 hose clamps per. Not to scare you. Just don't want you to damage those pretty things.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app
Thanks @Fellow Jeeper, I tightened them up pretty good with the clamps, but I will most certainly keep an eye on them now.