Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
The guys at Rago had my truck for the day and were able to work up a prototype. They need to order some metric hardware for mounting (because Toyota) which they're going to send to me later. Here's what they got installed today.

View attachment 104259

UPS says a few of the other packages I'm waiting for have been delivered too, so this next week or two will be fun.
If only Rago or Orangeboxx Fab would make something like this for the WJ....

• Haha
Reactions: stickel

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Things are happening a little fast and furious again. The annual family camping trip is coming up and I got off the waitlist for LCDC 2019 in Ouray, CO. In preparation, I ordered a few goodies to make camping a little easier: a couple alu-boxes for organising and storing camp gear, some new blankets (smaller, yet warmer), a smaller camp chair, and a more packable camp table.

As for the truck, well after a few conversations with different folks at Expo West this year (and my own failure with a Lithium battery pack) I bought some things for it too. Before expo I was pretty much set on grabbing some flexible/foldable solar panels and tying that into the battery pack since I was only really using it for the fridge at the time. Instead, I decided to go dual battery. Most options out there are for 4Runners and Tacos, but Mole Overland have some cool products specifically for the 200 series. I grabbed their secondary battery tray and their electronic mount with a RedArc BCDC. Super easy to install and both fit really well.

IMG_5968.jpg

Still waiting on my secondary battery to arrive (Tuesday!); decided to splurge for a ReLion (LiFePo).

Next up:
  • install secondary battery and hook it up to BCDC
  • mounts for holding camp gear on Rago panel
  • install ARB sliders (:grin: could be tricky with my broken hand)
  • see if I can get a rudimentary slider/drawer installed before my trips in a couple weeks :fearful:

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Things are happening a little fast and furious again. The annual family camping trip is coming up and I got off the waitlist for LCDC 2019 in Ouray, CO. In preparation, I ordered a few goodies to make camping a little easier: a couple alu-boxes for organising and storing camp gear, some new blankets (smaller, yet warmer), a smaller camp chair, and a more packable camp table.

As for the truck, well after a few conversations with different folks at Expo West this year (and my own failure with a Lithium battery pack) I bought some things for it too. Before expo I was pretty much set on grabbing some flexible/foldable solar panels and tying that into the battery pack since I was only really using it for the fridge at the time. Instead, I decided to go dual battery. Most options out there are for 4Runners and Tacos, but Mole Overland have some cool products specifically for the 200 series. I grabbed their secondary battery tray and their electronic mount with a RedArc BCDC. Super easy to install and both fit really well.

View attachment 106013

Still waiting on my secondary battery to arrive (Tuesday!); decided to splurge for a ReLion (LiFePo).

Next up:
  • install secondary battery and hook it up to BCDC
  • mounts for holding camp gear on Rago panel
  • install ARB sliders (:grin: could be tricky with my broken hand)
  • see if I can get a rudimentary slider/drawer installed before my trips in a couple weeks :fearful:
If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for those alu-boxes and where did you get them? Also, would you recommend that electrical setup over anything else? I'm on the fence about a solar panel and li-ion battery pack. Eventually I'll have a fridge that I can run directly off the battery via the DC plug in the rear while the engine is running, and switch to the battery pack when it isn't, utilizing solar to keep it charged. I would like to find a permanent solution, but if I change rigs, I'd like to have a versatile setup to work with both. Thanks!

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for those alu-boxes and where did you get them? Also, would you recommend that electrical setup over anything else? I'm on the fence about a solar panel and li-ion battery pack. Eventually I'll have a fridge that I can run directly off the battery via the DC plug in the rear while the engine is running, and switch to the battery pack when it isn't, utilizing solar to keep it charged. I would like to find a permanent solution, but if I change rigs, I'd like to have a versatile setup to work with both. Thanks!
I paid retail at Equipt Expedition Outfitters; several hundred dollars for all three boxes. For me, this electrical setup makes sense. I live in the desert where a solar setup is perfect, but most of my camping is in shaded areas. Even though I'm not moving camp every day (which is also better for solar), the battery I got should last me for the time I spend at camp running the accessories. In the end, I have the time and resources to make this setup happen and I don't plan on changing rigs for the foreseeable future. At some point, I may add in solar as well to keep batteries topped off.

One thing to be careful of, especially when using a portable Li-ion battery pack and a 12v accessory is the power level. The reason I failed at Expo West was the 12v fridge couldn't read the power level of the Li-ion battery pack correctly. So even though it had plenty of power the fridge cutoff kicked in and turned off. If you go with a portable Li-ion battery pack, get yourself a 12v regulated cable adapter (I got this one from Goal Zero and I'm testing it this week) so the fridge can get constant 12v power and not think the battery is too low.

Last edited: