Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
The LC is really coming in to the Overland traveling machine. Very nice looking vehicle indeed. TFL (The Fast Lane) just bought an LC to feature as their project vehicle.

Reactions: stickel

brobin15

Rank V
Launch Member

Benefactor

California, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Robinson
Member #

That's what our struggle has been on my end. We have been looking at the Power Wagon, but also just started looking at the Jeep Gladiator. We love the space the Power Wagon offers, but are trying to decide whether we want to be able to fit it in the garage. I'm more inclined to keeping it in the garage.
It does! But barely [emoji38]

Definitely can’t go much higher with the lift or roof rack, that’s for sure. If there’s anything thicker than a ½-inch on the rack it won’t fit in the garage.

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

The LC is really coming in to the Overland traveling machine. Very nice looking vehicle indeed. TFL (The Fast Lane) just bought an LC to feature as their project vehicle.
Thanks. I watched an interview TFL did with one of the Overland Expedition guys about their LC for inspiration on what mods to look into. Might have to check out their build.

Wow great looking rig, just read all the thread, I look forward to updates! I really think after I retire the Land Rover I will most likely make the jump to a Toyota Land Cruiser.
Thanks man. Might have to do a write up on the bumper install, it was painful until I got it done.

That's what our struggle has been on my end. We have been looking at the Power Wagon, but also just started looking at the Jeep Gladiator. We love the space the Power Wagon offers, but are trying to decide whether we want to be able to fit it in the garage. I'm more inclined to keeping it in the garage.
Currently I'm renting though and I don't have any issues keeping it outside unless I'm doing work on it. Need to find myself a spot of land so I can build a garage with much higher clearance (and wishful thinking, a lift). I have heard some good things about the Power Wagon as a platform.

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
Thanks. I watched an interview TFL did with one of the Overland Expedition guys about their LC for inspiration on what mods to look into. Might have to check out their build.
That was me on the TFL episode in which we discussed Land Cruisers and specifically the XOverland 200. As you might have seen I'm a big fan of the 200, my personal build is here: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/project-fauxverlander-200-series-land-cruiser-build-thread.4810/
(I need to update the build thread here, it's quite dated)

Reactions: stickel and Arailt

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Thought that might have been you when I read your build thread on IH8MUD. Nice to finally know for sure [emoji38]

Reactions: cruiseroutfit

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

It's been a hot minute since I posted any updates here but pre-Christmas LC projects were hectic to say the least. The biggest thing was installing the ARB rear bumper with tire carrier and jerry can holder. Definitely learned a few things and the tire carrier swing out came with a piece missing (only had one gas strut stud bolt for that side and apparently it's a very rare size). I also managed to install the spring for the locking pin incorrectly on one side (managed to get it installed correctly in the other side though). Oh, and wiring it up to the trailer hitch is a mess that I'm hoping to clean up in the coming months. BUT it worked for the trip to Canada. Sad there wasn't much snow where I was to mess around in though.

Went on a trail run last weekend and dirtied it up a little. Decided to grab a couple "glamor" shots after I finished cleaning it up.

IMG_4217.jpg IMG_4219.jpg

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Next up are a few little things that have been bugging me:
  • move the spare tire support out a few mm (when the swing out is open the tire bumps into the tail light
  • install a new strut for the tire carrier (hopefully it's compatible)
  • fix the lock pin spring on the tire carrier swing out
  • find a way to stop the load panels for the Prinsu rack from rattling a crazy amount at highway speeds (so annoying!) ?
  • build a small cubby for the cargo area to put some tools for airing up/down and tire repair so they aren't rattling around and rolling all over
  • oh! and fixing the 3rd row seat recline lever I broke when trying to fold up the 3rd row seats when something was blocking it from folding all the way :/

Last edited:
Reactions: ahmed altannak

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Great looking project. Should be a alot of fun. Where do you plan to camp the most? When I think of vegas.. i'd be thinking of solar panels, dual batteries, BIG fridge and plenty of awning :D

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Great looking project. Should be a alot of fun. Where do you plan to camp the most? When I think of vegas.. i'd be thinking of solar panels, dual batteries, BIG fridge and plenty of awning :D
Thanks! It's been a fun learning experience. Not sure where I'm going to be camping the most. SoCal, northern Arizona, southern Utah, and Nevada are the obvious choices because they're all within a couple hours drive.

Solar panels and dual battery are definitely on the long term project list. Have a couple ideas for those but I kind of want to see what's up at Overland Expo West before committing to anything right now.

Reactions: Mike W

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

@cruiseroutfit I'm starting to put money aside for an ARB front bumper and winch. In your build thread you went with the VR10000-S. Searching around the Warn site doesn't seem to come up with that exact model but there is the VR10-S. I'm guessing it's the same model with a new name (it is three less zeros to type). Would you still recommend that winch for a '13 LC?

Another quick question. There was a comment way back in your IH8MUD build thread about possible PCS interference. Was that an issue with the bumper/winch you chose or with a different bumper/winch setup?

cruiseroutfit

Rank V

Influencer II

Yewtah
@cruiseroutfit I'm starting to put money aside for an ARB front bumper and winch. In your build thread you went with the VR10000-S. Searching around the Warn site doesn't seem to come up with that exact model but there is the VR10-S. I'm guessing it's the same model with a new name (it is three less zeros to type). Would you still recommend that winch for a '13 LC?

Another quick question. There was a comment way back in your IH8MUD build thread about possible PCS interference. Was that an issue with the bumper/winch you chose or with a different bumper/winch setup?
VR10S is the current model. Interference can occurs when the winch control box is bumper mounted, we generally remote mount within the bumper shell or under hood on those models. I don't have the radar cruise, front camera, etc on my 200 so it's a non-issue. Give us a call if we can help with the bumper or winch, we deal with ARB and Warn all day everyday.

Reactions: stickel

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

VR10S is the current model. Interference can occurs when the winch control box is bumper mounted, we generally remote mount within the bumper shell or under hood on those models. I don't have the radar cruise, front camera, etc on my 200 so it's a non-issue. Give us a call if we can help with the bumper or winch, we deal with ARB and Warn all day everyday.
I didn't realize the control box could be moved and mounted elsewhere; thought it was permanently attached to the top. Thanks for setting me straight. :grinning:

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

4WheelParts had a sale today, so it was time to go spend some money. Ordered and looking forward to installing:
  • ARB front bumper
  • VR10S Warn winch
  • ARB skid plates
  • ARB sliders/steps
Still have a couple things from the last list to finish up but I think I found a way to stop the Prinsu load panels from rattling at high speeds.

Reactions: CatPowerDude

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

Procrastination is a killer, but I finally got around to installing the rear camera relocation kit. Went pretty smoothing and is pretty straightforward. There were a couple things to note though:
  • I messed up a little bit forgetting a secondary heat shrink on one of the wire connections
  • the wire included in the kit is a larger gauge than North American LC camera wire; there are also 4 wires going to the camera, the kit only includes two wires
  • I'm a little concerned about how it'll fair in wet weather because the camera is moved to a more exposed position
  • the old (original) camera mount is an open hole now. Not a massive hole because I covered the wire with wire loom & tessa tape, then fed it through the original camera mount. A little disappointing there isn't any covers included in the kit though (someone with a 3D printer could likely whip something up)
This is the before. The hole on the left is the original mounting position. The hole on the right is where the latch release/lock/unlock buttons are. The new mount is stacked onto the latch release mounting point.
IMG_4977.jpg

The camera is a lot more exposed in the new position and the metal shroud over top doesn't provide 100% coverage to the back of the camera or the wires/connection. It has decent coverage though and should prevent most moisture/snow from piling on top of exposed wires.
IMG_4980.jpg

I can see again! Mostly unobstructed view out the back now. Way better than the original position even though the spare is still blocking a third of the screen. Guidelines are still pretty accurate too (from limited testing in my garage).
IMG_4979.jpg

Last edited:

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Took the weekend to install the front suspension parts and it was a doozy. Definitely made it harder on myself by not using the right tools for the job. Managed to get the job done 98% in two days. Then I got massively stuck connecting the final stabilizer bar link. Finally broke down and posted on IH8MUD for some advice. Ended up putting a long socket on the bolt and just muscling it into place. But I got it done in time for my appointment to get the new wheels mounted and aligned.

View attachment 78437

View attachment 78438

View attachment 78439

Also, turns out the misaligned steering wheel wasn’t because of the KDSS it was really due to how bad my alignment was.

Thursday morning I went to 4WheelParts and got the new tires and wheels installed. They told me an hour but had a lot of trouble for some reason. I was there for 5 hours. But she’s looking good now.

View attachment 78440
View attachment 78441
From a Dr's street queen, to a OB go rig. I like the racks wind deflector also. The ICON resi hoses look very close to rubbing. Have you cycled the suspension looking for interference?

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
From a Dr's street queen, to a OB go rig. I like the racks wind deflector also. The ICON resi hoses look very close to rubbing. Have you cycled the suspension looking for interference?
Let us see that rear ARB bumper in all it's glory:blush: By the camera install pic(closed), i see you mounted it on the left, but the interior hatch shot makes it look like it's on the right?. Looks like a 'dual' Jerry-Can holder on it?

Last edited:

stickel

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stickel
Member #

From a Dr's street queen, to a OB go rig. I like the racks wind deflector also.
hehe. Indeed. The wind deflector makes a big difference too, especially with the weather stripping installed under it.

The ICON resi hoses look very close to rubbing. Have you cycled the suspension looking for interference?
Damn. I thought there was enough space but it looks like there is some rubbing. Guess I'm going back under there to turn the top of the shock and see if it still fits. Open to other suggestions as well if anyone has any.