• HTML tutorial

LB_Jeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Memphis TN
Member #

Hello All,

I have had my jeep since 2014 but just got into overlanding this year. I am just starting to build up my rig so I only have a few things done so far but I have big plans for both trips and the rig. Starting May 31 I will be heading out on a nationwide roadtrip finishing up in the beginning of August. The idea is to hit one thing in all 48 contiguous states but I really just want to spend as much time outdoors as possible. I would love to meet up with other members around the country and have locals show me around.

In the meantime here is what I started with.DSC_0006 (1).jpg

LB_Jeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Memphis TN
Member #

After that I hooked up with a local group and got my first taste of offrading. I took a little body damage and picked up a few trail scars, but I absolutely loved it!
25334866904_1903fdc20a_b.jpg 25667000980_6f7783932f_b.jpg 25872613351_061d2e7097_b.jpg

Reactions: Mike G

LB_Jeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Memphis TN
Member #

Shortly after that I decided to take my big summer trip so I bought and installed a Gobi Ranger Rack. It was my first big purchase for the jeep and I am extremely happy with it!! I had enough money so I decided to get the front insert, the quick disconnects, and the ax/shovel mount. I figured if I was spending that much anyway I might as well get everything I want DSC_0017.jpg DSC_0022.jpg

Reactions: Cappy410

LB_Jeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Memphis TN
Member #

This past weekend It rained the whole time so I went ahead and built and installed limb risers. I took ideas from a lot of people's designs and I'm very satisfied with the outcome. (sorry for the terrible quality photo, camera was dead so I took it with my iphone) limb-risers_26507032520_o.jpg

Reactions: Cappy410 and ShawnR

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
This past weekend It rained the whole time so I went ahead and built and installed limb risers. I took ideas from a lot of people's designs and I'm very satisfied with the outcome. (sorry for the terrible quality photo, camera was dead so I took it with my iphone) View attachment 3501
I've been thinking about making my own limb risers. What did you use to connect it to the hood latch? I know most designs have a plate that goes behind.

LB_Jeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Memphis TN
Member #

I used this. Check out this item on Amazon: Simpson Strong-Tie 4x4 Deck Post Tie
Simpson Strong-Tie

I used a dremel to cut the two side pieces off as evenly as possible. Then I took off the hood latch and used a sharpie to mark where the holes should be and drilled through. I used plasti dip and coated the two brackets so it would be black on black. I meant to take step by step photos but got caught up in the work.
Just a note though, I still have the stock hood latches on and with the limb risers on tight it pulls the latches and exposes the weather strip under the front of the hood. I'll probably replace the hood latches pretty soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Overland Bound Talk

Reactions: ShawnR

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Cool! Well, I know there are a few of us that are near Seattle if you wanna set up a meet up I'm sure you could get a few people together.

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I used this. Check out this item on Amazon: Simpson Strong-Tie 4x4 Deck Post Tie
Simpson Strong-Tie

I used a dremel to cut the two side pieces off as evenly as possible. Then I took off the hood latch and used a sharpie to mark where the holes should be and drilled through. I used plasti dip and coated the two brackets so it would be black on black. I meant to take step by step photos but got caught up in the work.
Just a note though, I still have the stock hood latches on and with the limb risers on tight it pulls the latches and exposes the weather strip under the front of the hood. I'll probably replace the hood latches pretty soon.

Thanks for the info.

LB_Jeep

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Memphis TN
Member #

That sounds like quite an adventure! Here's a link to a guy who figured the most efficient route to visit one interesting place in each state. It covers 13,699 miles. http://www.randalolson.com/2015/03/08/computing-the-optimal-road-trip-across-the-u-s/

If you come through northern Ohio, give me a holler!
Believe it or not I actually used that as a template for my trip and then added things here and there that were specific to my interests. Where in Ohio are you? I'll be headed through from Detroit towards Cincinnati but don't have anything planned.

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Where in Ohio are you?
25 miles west of Cleveland. There's nothing around here. Flat, and lots of people and pavement... (Well, a lot of people come to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and the museums, but that's now what you're looking to see.)

TreyJK

Rank III

Advocate II

Tulsa, OK
If you go near Oklahoma City, be sure to swing by Pop's on Route 66 near Arcadia, OK. When do you plan on going through OK? Unbeknownst to most of the country, there's actually some interesting sights out here in Indian Country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk