2009 Hummer H3 Alpha

• HTML tutorial

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Internal roll cage
That's an idea I have considered but I am not sure how far I want to take it with this truck. There are not a lot of Alphas out there and with only 61k miles not sure how far I want to push it. Now if I bought another to all out build it would definitely be on the list of things to do. Probably the next major thing would be figuring out a new larger front diff so I can run larger tires. A company I have some part from that does H3 items is working on a kit to drop a Dana 44 in to replace the stock front diff. That would open up gearing options let alone give me more strength in the front end.

Tony Vickers

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Seattle
Member #

It's nice to see someone with a H3 that actually uses it for off road. 99% of the ones I see are mall crawlers. Great Job!

Reactions: MarkW

Gravel Travel Canada

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Member #

That's an idea I have considered but I am not sure how far I want to take it with this truck. There are not a lot of Alphas out there and with only 61k miles not sure how far I want to push it. Now if I bought another to all out build it would definitely be on the list of things to do. Probably the next major thing would be figuring out a new larger front diff so I can run larger tires. A company I have some part from that does H3 items is working on a kit to drop a Dana 44 in to replace the stock front diff. That would open up gearing options let alone give me more strength in the front end.
Perfect mileage for a full build out....means tons of smiles per miles left in it. Great ROI :)

Sent from my STH100-1 using OB Talk mobile app

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

It's nice to see someone with a H3 that actually uses it for off road. 99% of the ones I see are mall crawlers. Great Job!
Yeah, it's the primary reason I bought it. There are actually a lot of us that actually do wheel them. The CEO of Jeep a number of years ago actually said the number of Hummer owners that take their vehicles off road is about the same as Jeep owners, it's just there are so many Jeeps and so few Hummers (in comparison).

cash9300

Rank I

Contributor III

What company is working on a Dana 44 swap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

What company is working on a Dana 44 swap
Outfitter Designs. I believe they are pretty close to releasing it. Have not really looked into the pros and cons to their design yet. Friend of mine did a custom setup with a high pinion 44 and custom long travel front suspension and it does great but it was all custom. She is running 38s on her's and it looks great let alone is far more capable.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Yeah, Bebe. Unfortunately I have not been out there to visit since the major transformation. It's one of the best all around builds out there though.

cash9300

Rank I

Contributor III

I saw the build tread it's amazing but a lot of money into it. More then I can swing

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

It was actually cheaper than doing a solid axle swap. The major factor is that she and Rick have the knowledge and contacts to get things down. I don't have either otherwise I would have done something along those lines. I want to build the IFS as strong as it can be, don't want to do a solid axle.

cash9300

Rank I

Contributor III

That's my only real worry with the 3 is I have the aluminum front diff and I'm just waiting on it to die but if outfitters is working on a Dana 44 I might have to look into it when the time comes price dependent of course

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

They have a similar setup the designed for S10s and if I recall it's $3,000 and up depending on options you choose. I have the cast iron from diff but it's still a weak link and would love to have gearing options.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

If it's that price range it wouldn't be bad
Considering just getting a CI front diff can run you $2K plus it's not too bad. I have other items from them and they are very well design and made, look forward to seeing what they have done with this setup.

Ironhide Fx4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

VT
Member #

I really enjoyed reading your build thread. The H3 Alpha is an awesome rig. I never knew they existed. Always saw the I 5 H3 mall rigs. Look forward to seeing where the build goes next.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I really enjoyed reading your build thread. The H3 Alpha is an awesome rig. I never knew they existed. Always saw the I 5 H3 mall rigs. Look forward to seeing where the build goes next.
Thanks, really appreciate it. Always looking for new ideas on what to do but it's getting harder and harder. I originally had an '06 with the I5 but when the Alpha was introduced in '08 I knew I wanted on. Traded for the '09 when it looked like Hummer was done and glad I waited so I got the addition of the front locker which they added in '09.

Reactions: Ironhide Fx4