2009 Hummer H3 Alpha

• HTML tutorial

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Finally got around to installing the Rancho lift I have had in my garage for the past 9 months.

Install started...

lift1.jpg

New upper control arms on both sides up front as well as Crown extended brake lines and Bilstein 5100 series shocks at all four corners.

lift2.jpg

lift3.jpg

Will have to do some modifications to my skid plates to work with the Rancho. Yeah it sees lots of trail time as you can see.

lift4.jpg

While doing the lift also installed the Outfitter Designs steering rack reinforcement kit but did not get any photos of the install. The factory brackets for the steering rack are fairly week and bend causing the bushing to fail prematurely and worst case the steering rack to split losing all steering. This kit is much beefier and I won't have to worry about that anymore.

rack.jpg

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

And the results. Doesn't look like much lift in the photos but I really didn't need much and now even though it's got a bit more height the CVs and lower control arms are level which is a lot better. Also now about 4" wider which adds a bit of stability with the added height. The rear Rancho springs are just temporary and will be doing a spring over hopefully soon. Have everything required just need the time personally as well as time available on a friends lift.

lift5.jpg

lift6.jpg

lift7.jpg

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Quick little convenience mod. Whenever doing anything that required the removal of the brush guard I have to completely unbolt the D-Ring plates. This isn't that big a deal other than the fact I have a winch bumper so it's a lot heavier and takes more effort to line back up. That and trying to install or remove the brush guard by yourself can get a bit cumbersome with the weight of the winch bumper trying to line up the bolts and hold the brush guard in place. Some brush guards have slots where it slides behind the D-Ring plates without removing the bolts but most like mine are just holes through the mount requiring the bolts be completely removed. I took a cutoff wheel and just removed a portion of the mounting plate below and to the side of each mounting hole then shot it with a quick coat of paint.. This will allow me to just slide it in and out from behind the D-Ring plates without completely removing the bolts. There is still plenty of mounting plate sandwiched between the bumper and the D-Ring plate that it is just as secure and sturdy as it originally was. Simple 5 minute mod (if the brush guard is already off) which will save time and hassle in the future.

Brushguard.jpg

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Finally got around to a mod that I have been planning on doing for years but just hadn't gotten to. Installed a transmission cooler so I could bypass the cooler in the radiator. While by no means wide spread issue many H3 owners know somebody that has had the separation between the engine coolant portion of the radiator and the transmission fluid cooler fail. When this happens you get coolant in your transmission destroying it. This is a fairly simple mod that could potentially save you thousands.

I went with a B&M 70264 Transmission Supercooler which is rated at 14,400 BTU.

TransCooler.jpg

Reactions: Luis Merlo

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
That's a hell of a set up. Really like the drawers. I'm thinking of eventually removing the back seat of my JKU and building some drawers for more storage space. I'll have to make them removable in case my daughter tags along on a trip. Also like where you keep your hi-lift jack. Yet another reason I want the roof rack on my Jeep. Recovery gear can take up cargo space quickly inside.

Reactions: MarkW

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thanks, I have been really happy with the drawers. I had originally planned on doing a three drawer setup with the third being removable in case I didn't need it. I did a trip with the back seats removed before the drawer system and it was great but not sure I want to run with it like that all the time. Was just thinking last night about removing the driver side of the back seat. It's a 60/40 split with the 40% being on the driver side. I would then build a storage system behind the driver seat and still have seating for at least one other person if need be. I do like having the HiLift up there out of the way but still easily accessible. I also have a 6" diameter PVC tube mount on the rack with a screw off cap on one end. I carry a spare half shaft and a couple pair of tie rods in the tube.

Reactions: ShawnR

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

After installing the lift a portion of the factory UCP was not going to fit without some modifications. The UCP has served me well for almost 10 years on two different H3s but had seen better days. While there are definite pluses for the ladder style design there were also cons such as it was good at getting hung up on rocks so I decided to make new skids versus modifying the OEM equipment.

I needed to make two sections, mid section from the diff cross member to the next cross member under the transmission and rear from that cross member to the next under the transfer case. I decided to go with 3/16" steel.

Started with the rear section by getting my mounting holes and cutting slots in the steel. The slots are for both cooling and drainage. Not the prettiest but not bad considering it was done with an angle grinder and cut off wheel.

IMG_3168.jpg

I slotted some of the mounting holes so the plate could slide above the plate for the forward section versus having to hold both sections up while trying to line up all the bolts. Make it a lot easier to mount by yourself. Did the same with the mid section.

Next I added 1/4" x 1 1/2" "ribs" to the top side of the plate for added strength. These are overkill and could have gone with 1/2" tall but better safe than sorry.

IMG_3171.jpg

The section of three slots without "ribs" is where the transfer case is positioned and there is no room for the "ribs".

New was the mid section. I had to put two bends in this section of about 10 degrees each. I first cut a groove across where the bend was about 3/4 of the way through the plate. Then I took several pieces of square tube with the right angle cut in them and clamped them to the plate to align with the groove and bend it to the right position with a sledge hammer. After doing both bends then welded up the groove that was cut and added a bead along the other side just for good measure. This pic is before it was welded up.

IMG_3190.jpg

Due to the angle and the additional space between the plate and transmission I didn't think there was a need for cooling/drainage slots in this section but I did add 3 "ribs", one on each edge and one in the middle.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Plates finished up and painted.

Mid section...

IMG_3231.jpg

Rear section...

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

All installed looking from front of truck toward the back. Initial section you can see if the front skid plate that comes with the Rancho lift which is under the front diff.

IMG_3237.jpg

Rear section...

IMG_3238.jpg

Rear section from the side...

IMG_3241.jpg

Mid section...

IMG_3240.jpg

Mid section from the side...

IMG_3242.jpg

I originally planned on putting the bolt protectors around each of the mounting bolts. The more I looked at it the more they looked like big catch alls that would constantly be getting hung on rocks. Once you make it tall enough to cover the bolt head and large enough to allow for a socket and be protective they get pretty big. Going to run it like this for a while to see how the bolt heads hold up and see if I need to add protection. Figure worst case I have to cut the bolt head off.

Reactions: murps

Lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wyldwood, TX
Member #

Looks like your fuel tank has taken a hit or two. Any plans to build armor for there as well?

Second look, it appears maybe there's a factory skid there? If so, any plans to bolster the fuel tank skid with something more robust?

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Looks like your fuel tank has taken a hit or two. Any plans to build armor for there as well?

Second look, it appears maybe there's a factory skid there? If so, any plans to bolster the fuel tank skid with something more robust?
Correct, there is a factory skid plate for the fuel tank and yes it has taken a beating. I do want to look at doing something more robust. I am going to be doing a spring over in the back hopefully before long. To cut off the factory spring hanger on the driver side I will have to remove at least the skid if not the entire fuel take. Will get a better look then to figure out a game plan for it.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

This is a great build! I love the H3's, I had a Colorado I was going to trade for an H3 alpha, but I went on deployment and when I came back Hummer didn't exist as a brand anymore. Being able to fit 35's with a leveling kit and having lockers from the factory is pretty sweet.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Thanks, I love it. This is actually my second H3, originally had an '06. You don't even need to level it to fit 35s but mine was only that way for about a week and didn't wheel until leveled. Alphas are definitely harder to find and even harder with the Adventure package which includes the lockers. I decided to buy this one because it looked like Hummer was about to close down. Production had been halted so I couldn't order one so I had my dealer locate what I wanted. There were only two in the entire South East, this one was built for Hummer Corporate to be displayed at the Miami Auto Show. Of course production did come back for a little while and I could have ordered one but I am very happy with this one. My only regret is I can't replace it with another new one. I have always liked the Colorados as well and they would be high on my list if I had to replace this.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

I liked my Colorado a lot, but the 5 cylinder lacked the power to cross mountains on a freeway at speed if I had the bed full of camping gear. The H3 shares a platform with the Colorado, but comes with so much more off road prowess. I looked at H3's again before buying my Jeep, but the car seats didn't fit great in the back seat. Maybe in a few years when my kids are bigger and their car seats there for smaller, I might see if I can find a clean H3 alpha with the adventure package. Until then I'll live vicariously through you!

Reactions: MarkW

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I had the I-5 in my '06 and never had an issue with it but also never drove through any real mountains in it, can see that being an issue. They should have gone with a 6 cylinder instead but they were going for economy to fight the gas guzzler image. I was actually shocked, I got the best mileage ever in the Alpha going through the rockies on a trip to Moab. Guess I am lucky I never had to deal with car seats with mine but can see that being an issue. With them getting cheaper I expect we will see more and more on the trails. Never a ton of them as there weren't that many built compared to other popular off road rigs. I'll keep my fingers crossed you can find one you like when the time comes.

cash9300

Rank I

Contributor III

Do you know that part numbers for the bilstein 5100's I can't find the number for the back ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

Do you know that part numbers for the bilstein 5100's I can't find the number for the back ones

Sorry, been out of town. The 5100s I am running are longer due to having the lift but let me see if I can find the number of the correct 5100s for the rear.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I know at least at one point they didn't make one the fit the rear but a friend mine did use the Bilstein BE5-6248-H5 in the rear of his H3. Check the length as well as the mounting, might need a bar pin eliminator to mount them.

cash9300

Rank I

Contributor III

I'll be needing longer cause I've got the rough country lift and don't trust the shock spacers

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

The rough country is just the extended shackles right? I never did extended shackles on mine but know a number of people that did without changing the shocks. I do agree though, would much prefer longer shocks than using spacers.