Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Any ideas on recovery points for the pilot? I need something permanent. I have a...thing my buddy made that bolts to the frame on the rear. The problem is it hangs down a bit. Well, it did. Before it broke last night. Lol. No good story, hit it wrong on a rock and bent then broke it.

I would bolt it on when needed. So I didn't ever...hit it on rocks and bend it. Lol

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Any ideas on recovery points for the pilot? I need something permanent. I have a...thing my buddy made that bolts to the frame on the rear. The problem is it hangs down a bit. Well, it did. Before it broke last night. Lol. No good story, hit it wrong on a rock and bent then broke it.

I would bolt it on when needed. So I didn't ever...hit it on rocks and bend it. Lol
I mounted a shackle in the front on the jack-point, and I use a hitch mounted shackle for my rear recovery point. I can't remember the exact size of the shackle in the front, but I do remember that a 3/4" shackle was too big. My roof basket is a Smittybilt Defender one piece basket. I bought it used, so I am not sure exactly which size it is. I would be happy to get measurements if you need them.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

I am good on measurements. Just wondering what brand it was.

I will have to do the shackle. I may come up with a few other ideas. See what my buddy can help me with.

I want to work on a front bash plate and some other armor for the underside. I don't get into many situations that I have to worry about skid plates. But peace of mind is worth it.

Have you done onboard air? I can't remember from your videos. I do enjoy watching you and your fam going on adventures.

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I am good on measurements. Just wondering what brand it was.

I will have to do the shackle. I may come up with a few other ideas. See what my buddy can help me with.

I want to work on a front bash plate and some other armor for the underside. I don't get into many situations that I have to worry about skid plates. But peace of mind is worth it.

Have you done onboard air? I can't remember from your videos. I do enjoy watching you and your fam going on adventures.
For my purposes I have not had the need for an aux battery setup. As far as air goes I currently run two compressors. I run a Viair 00088 88P as my primary and a cheaper air compressor as a back up. My build is based in a large way around portability.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Ok. I thought I saw your video on your air compressor. But I can not remember. lol

Thanks for the reply. One thing I do know...overlanding is about using what you have, and getting out and exploring. :)

Have you installed a Tranny cooler? Have you had issues with it?

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Ok. I thought I saw your video on your air compressor. But I can not remember. lol

Thanks for the reply. One thing I do know...overlanding is about using what you have, and getting out and exploring. :)

Have you installed a Tranny cooler? Have you had issues with it?
I installed a transmission cooler after overheating spinning tires in the mud. It is definitely an upgrade I recommend.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

I installed a transmission cooler after overheating spinning tires in the mud. It is definitely an upgrade I recommend.
Was it hard to do yourself? I am mechanically inclined. I used to do front ends and light motor work. I don't want to hurt my wife's DD. lol

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Thanks, Brother. That looks super simple. It also gives me a chance to super clean and paint some of the front end stuff to prevent issues later on.

Keep me posted on any further upgrades you do. I would be interested in following a little bit.

Flynn

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Huntley, IL, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Daley
Member #

Hey, I love your videos. In fact they are the reason I found found this awesome community. I also have a Honda Pilot EX AWD (2005) so I was super stoked to see how capable it can be. Thanks for making the videos and posting the parts used for your build.

Captstout

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Utah, USA
First Name
Dallas
Last Name
Ray
Member #

Bow, I loved your video. I commented on it as well.

Your wife is awesome.

NeedsWork

Rank 0

Contributor I

Kansas
First Name
Kurtis
Last Name
Cowman
Has anyone done any work to the rear differential. I have heard the Pilot clutches wear out and the rear stops turning even if the VTM-4 is engaged. I am surprised there are no companies making replacement hard lockers for this system. Its basically an elocker. But then again there are probably few Pilots that are not pavement princesses.

aggrex

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DE
First Name
Victor
Last Name
M
Member #

@b0wfin ...your Pilot build is what led me to this forum after watching several of your mud>stuck videos. One of my overland builds is a silver 2004 Pilot that has been off pavement a few times in stock condition, i.e.: beach sand in NC and dirt trails. Have a ReadyLIFT kit for the Pilot and looking at new struts/shocks and maybe some MOOG springs. Looking forward to your next videos.