• HTML tutorial

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
b0wfin,

As regards using a Hi-Lift on the Pilot, I too think I'm going to go with the Hi-Lift Lift-Mate and a jack stand. The jack stand I'm looking at is the Stash-a-Stand. It folds flat, it's tested to 20,000lbs (!), and it's made by a guy just up the road from me here in Colorado. I went to visit him (his name is Dale) a few days ago, and he's a super nice guy with proper fabrication skills. You should see his 'yota rock crawler!

The Stash-a-Stand is a pretty slick solution (if a bit expensive at $109). ONLY problem I have with it at the moment is I'm not sure it's quite tall enough. In my garage test I need right about 20" of support height to keep my 235/85R16 tires off the ground, and I think we measured the Stash-a-Stand at ~18". (This is using the OEM-recommended jack placement on the pinch welds near each wheel.)

I'm working with Dale to see if a longer center support beam can be made to get that last 2" of support without compromising the stand's stability (he's pretty sure it will be strong enough, but it might be a little "wiggly").

I'll keep you posted on what Dale comes up with. If I can get the 20" I need, I'm in.

(Of course a chunk of 4x4 wooden post under the OEM scissor jack would probably do the job and cost....nuthin'!)

Also, just for the fun of it, Dale and I discussed some kind of welded-on jack point for the Hi-Lift, something that would be permanently secured to the vehicle and provide purchase for the Hi-Lift jack nose. He came up with an idea, but figured on 4-5 hours of shop time at $80/hour. Yeah, that's $400. Just not worth it for the casual, mild offroading my Pilot will see.

BTW, nice trip report! I always enjoy those.

My last excursion...delivering water totes for my eldest son's Eagle Scout project...

Have a great weekend.

Attachments

Reactions: JCWages

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Whoa, b0wfin, sorry to hear of your axle woes. Yikes. Glad everyone came away okay, and that the Pilot is off the road again! (Only forum where being not "on the road again" is a good thing. :tongueout:)

So, the Stash-A-Stand situation is such that the manufacturer is reluctant to make them taller, since it will materially change the design such that his previous testing certification will no longer be valid. Okay, I get that, in this litigious society he's concerned that if the modified stand fails he could be at risk of a lawsuit. As a manufacturer he gets to have these concerns and I respect that. Making the stand taller, and retesting, would cost "thousands of dollars."

Obviously he doesn't care one way or the other what we do with them once they've been purchased, so I'm looking in to making a slightly longer "center member" and a longer center collar. Or, fitting in a piece of 2x6 with my recovery gear. :tongueout:

So...I'll post back with what I end up with.

Happy Memorial Day, everyone.

SomeGuyNamedPaul

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Little Rock, AR, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hurn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF5DFZ
I have a hair-brained idea: since they’re based on the same platform, can you swap Honda Ridgeline suspension components with the pilot? Aren’t they slightly larger for more durability and height?
If not, what modifications are needed?
This is something I would love to find out.

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Last edited:
Reactions: Dock2510

Pathfinder I

Bellingham

After this adventure I decided to order a snorkel. Due to the permanent nature of this upgrade I have been putting it off. It will be interesting to see if I can adapt it to fit my Pilot and look good.

Here is the kit I chose: $48.99 Snorkel Kit For 1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Cold Air Intake System Rolling Head
Snorkel Kit For 1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ Cold Air Intake System Rolling Head 663862916508 | eBay
Similar to one I got! I recommend using a heat gun to shape it to your body lines if you have one. Makes it look much cleaner instead of massive gaps. Can’t wait to see the install!

Enthusiast I

Eastern Idaho
First Name
James
Last Name
D
My Franken-skid has held up great so far! I expanded the front ramp this week.

Are the F250 skids heavier duty than other stock skids? Have you come down on them at all?

The type of wheeling I do doesn't require crazy 1/4" steel so I figure modifying another truck's beefy stock skids would be a lower cost option.

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Are the F250 skids heavier duty than other stock skids? Have you come down on them at all?

The type of wheeling I do doesn't require crazy 1/4" steel so I figure modifying another truck's beefy stock skids would be a lower cost option.
I used the f-250 skid because I found it cheap. I don't have experience with very many stock skids, but it is definitely beefier than a lot of DIY skid plates I have seen. I can lift my vehicle off the center of the plate as I currently have it with welds and all.