Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

As for snorkels, as far as the rake angle and length goes, I would bet that a snorkel made for an 80 series landcruiser would fit, assuming the air box is on the same side (I'm not familiar with the Pilot's engine layout). They are known to fit the RD1 CRV and the lines are very similar, as previously mentioned. Probably much cheaper than trying to make one.

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I am looking at various options for adding a snorkel. At this point I am most interested in the cold air intake aspect of the mod. I don't plan to take my pilot in crazy deep water. A while back I did research and verify that the rear diff has breather tubes run into the cabin.

Pathfinder I

Bellingham
I thought about disconnecting my front sway bar. As for the snorkel you may be able to retrofit one off a Jeep Cherokee. That’s what I did and was able to shape it into position with a heat gun. I did actually gain a few MPG’s too with it. Same as you, my Outlander has never been in deep water. It was more for fresher air factor. [emoji106] I picked mine up off amazon for about 80$

Reactions: CR-Venturer

phlfly

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Leesburg, VA, USA
First Name
Vadim
Last Name
Zubkov
Member #

nice project. I have never know that Pilot has 4wd system I though it's Honda SH-AWD system .

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

nice project. I have never know that Pilot has 4wd system I though it's Honda SH-AWD system .
My 2007 Pilot has Honda’s VTM-4 system in it. Like SH-AWD It has the benefit of being awd while still allowing you to lock the rear axles. It is always on and there when you need it (rain, snow, gravel, etc). If you look at my pictures you can see the 4WD badge. I have been very impressed with the system!

Here is an informative article that I found describing how the VTM-4 system operates.

http://mypage.siu.edu/jeepster/vtm4.html

Reactions: H60Flyer

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

This is a really inspiring thread. I'm brand new here and just starting to look into getting a rig. The practicality of the Pilot (comfy on road, plenty good for my needs off road) has really resonated with me. Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to look into pilots now.

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

This is a really inspiring thread. I'm brand new here and just starting to look into getting a rig. The practicality of the Pilot (comfy on road, plenty good for my needs off road) has really resonated with me. Thanks for sharing this. I'm going to look into pilots now.
The Pilot is a pretty unique vehicle for sure. Watch out for rust in the rear where the subframe attaches to the body. My Pilot still runs great with over 230,000 miles.

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

Thank you!

I love the look of big tires and mega lifts and crazy approach angles, but honestly most of my adventures will involve long highway drives followed by some mostly tame gravel roads followed by a short section of something sketchier. So maybe 90 percent highway, 9 percent gravel, and 1 percent (or less) rutted, nasty dirt. Throw in one long road trip a summer (say a long down I-5 to Baja, then beach cruising/camping. Then a winter trip to Utah or Wyoming for a week of backcountry skiing) and you have a pretty good picture of what I want to do. And if I can get almost 20mpg doing it, so much the better.

At this point in my life I have little interest in the driving Rubicon or Jeepin or Muddin' (though they look like fun) and if that changes that can always be overland vehicle 2.0. I was actually considering a Mercedes R-class for a long time. It's basically a 7-pass, AWD 4-door crossover. It's an amazing highway cruiser and has the traction and room I need (the Benz fits me - 6'6 - plus my tall wife and teens comfortably -- that remains to be seen with the Honda; I still need to drive one), but ground clearance is minimal, and there's little-to-nothing in the way of off-highway modification support. It would handle the the 90% + 9% I mention above, but forget about the 1%. Plus its a Merc (I've owned a couple) and once it gets over 100k miles it's not too far from my Syncro Vanagon as far as maintenance time and cost go. So cross that one off.

Since then I've been leaning toward a 4Runner or Lexus GX (or Land Rover/Lexus LX) but the Toyota tax is real and the mpg on the big ones is a hit I'd rather not take now. From what I'm seeing locally, a Pilot the same year is about 30 percent cheaper or has 30 percent fewer miles. If I can do 80 percent what you're doing in these videos, then a Pilot is probably all I need. (Now watch me find a smoking deal on a lifted Land Cruiser ;-) )

PS -- Though it rains all the time, vehicles are usually rust free. So that's a bonus.
PPS -- I'm not normally so percentage obsessed.

syncro

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Seattle
First Name
Tim
Last Name
K
Member #

I agree with your analysis! I think you would be impressed by the Pilots ability. Clearance is the main setback.
If I can gain a couple inches via spacers/airbags or whatever and some slightly bigger tires I think I'll be in business! Thx!

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Hi b0wfin,

Nice looking Pilot! And nice jobs with the upgrades! I just got here, but I'll be following your build from here on out...

You and I have taken an almost identical path: First gen Pilot, 2" lift, air springs, etc. I too started with separate air spring valves but, as you did, eventually went to a single-path implementation. I find it interesting that you have trouble with your air springs holding air--I have the same problem. I think I have an honest-to-goodness leak, but the fact that your bags leak down may indicate it's just the nature of air springs. I've gotten so sick of finding my bags low half-way through a trip I installed the AirLift on-board compressor. Crazy expensive, but it works great.

I heard in one of your videos that you're thinking of running 235/85R16 tires. That's what I'm running and, be advised, pending on brand, they rub under compression. When it comes to flex, 245/75s may be the sweet spot.

Question for you as regards Hi-Lift jack usage: Have you found any good lift points on your Pilot for your Hi-Lift?! As you probably well know, with the 2" lift and larger tires, the OEM jack is no good. And while I haven't done an exhaustive investigation, I can't find a good lift point to use with my Hi-Lift. How are you doing it?

Best of luck with your build!

Reactions: Werlyb23

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

MountainMike,

Thanks for following! With a lot of fiddling I have finally stopped my airbags from leaking. I think cleaning the macro fittings is what did the trick for me. I agree that 245-75's seam to be the right size. I replaced my front lower control arms and now even the 245's rub full lock in reverse (not too bad). The Hi-Lift is a very versatile tool. I have the wheel adapters that allow your to lift from the wheel as well as the chain adapter that allows you to use the Hi-Lift as a winch. It is great for a variety of lifting, pulling, and crushing needs. I am able to use the stock jack by placing two 4x4 squares under it.

MountainMike

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Colorado
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0MTB
Hey b0wfin,

Thanks for the prompt response!

Good Hi -Lift kit...I have the same one...except for the wheel strap. I think I'll pay [insert well-known online retailer here] a visit. :smiley: I've seen and used the wheel straps before, and they're good for getting that tire/side of the vehicle in the air, but not much use for changing an actual tire. :grimacing: I was hoping you came up an ingenious method to get the Hi-Lift "tooth" under the pinch welds.

I'll have to find a spot in the "trunk" for a couple of pieces of 4x4 post...nuts.

Thanks again!

-Mike

b0wfin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Hey b0wfin,

Thanks for the prompt response!

Good Hi -Lift kit...I have the same one...except for the wheel strap. I think I'll pay [insert well-known online retailer here] a visit. :smiley: I've seen and used the wheel straps before, and they're good for getting that tire/side of the vehicle in the air, but not much use for changing an actual tire. :grimacing: I was hoping you came up an ingenious method to get the Hi-Lift "tooth" under the pinch welds.

I'll have to find a spot in the "trunk" for a couple of pieces of 4x4 post...nuts.

Thanks again!

-Mike
I have been looking for a folding off-road capable jack stand that could be used with the Hi-Lift. I might have to fabricate one...