Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

No shame in that. I'm no mechanic. Theres a lot I cant or wont do. And dealing with springs sometimes requires some pretty special equipment and a healthy respect for "boing" factor. I had a shop swap out my coil-overs. I dont have a wall mount spring compressor and didnt want to have a coil embedded into my skull.

Glad your stuff is getting done. Interested in seeing it when its done. This weekend I'm doing brakes, brake fluid and transfer case fluid. I'll stick to that and plugs.
I have no problem doing suspension stuff anywhere from spacer lift , doing a full SAS swap to the other end of the spectrum C notching a frame to put a rig on bags . It’s just for one I don’t have the space anymore and my back has been giving me some problems again so I just want to do it the easy way . I will still tackle the coil overs and diff swap but doing that bracket lift is a lot of work.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I have no problem doing suspension stuff anywhere from spacer lift , doing a full SAS swap to the other end of the spectrum C notching a frame to put a rig on bags . It’s just for one I don’t have the space anymore and my back has been giving me some problems again so I just want to do it the easy way . I will still tackle the coil overs and diff swap but doing that bracket lift is a lot of work.
Yeah... those lifts are a LOT of work to put in, lots of wrestling with stuff and fighting with the sub frames, etc...

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Yeah... those lifts are a LOT of work to put in, lots of wrestling with stuff and fighting with the sub frames, etc...
I’ve done probably 10 of them in my lifetime and they can be a pain but with no shop anymore doing it in the driveway doesn’t have the same appeal as it did 15-20 years ago lol

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Small update , dropped the truck off on Wednesday afternoon , after some complications of not remembering I told them the stock torsion keys and bolts were sitting on top of the center consul and finding out the lift won’t support the factory wheels it looks like I won’t have it back till wensday ....... I understand shops get busy but I was not informed of these problems until I called later in the day to ask if my truck was done yet. I’m trying to stay positive but my first experience with actually paying someone else to do a lift on a vehicle and not just doing it myself is not going well so far.

Nate1369

Rank III

Member III

Bedford, Tarrant County, Texas, United States
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Peralta
Member #

Small update , dropped the truck off on Wednesday afternoon , after some complications of not remembering I told them the stock torsion keys and bolts were sitting on top of the center consul and finding out the lift won’t support the factory wheels it looks like I won’t have it back till wensday ....... I understand shops get busy but I was not informed of these problems until I called later in the day to ask if my truck was done yet. I’m trying to stay positive but my first experience with actually paying someone else to do a lift on a vehicle and not just doing it myself is not going well so far.
Lift won’t support the wheels? Also, if you only do the torsion keys it’s going to ride horrible and eat upper ball joints unless you add aftermarket uca..

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Well I’m trying to be optimistic but I am running into a small issue already . With the lift set at about 6” it is sitting hard on the jounce bushing . Now I’ve owned lifted torsion bars Chevys in the past and my normal formula for making it right nice would be to put on a 6 inch lift and run it about 5 1/4 inches left to keep the preload off the torsion bars but at that point it’s usually slightly above the Jounce bushing. Idk I’ll play with it later but man the ride is a lot worse now . F40DE658-7583-4771-84A7-010284D57CA1.jpeg

Reactions: Nate1369 and BCMoto

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I used to have a predtor tuner before and it worked great, i want to get into HP tuners for my current rig. Also thats a big lift block in the rear, why not a deaver spring pack?

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I used to have a predtor tuner before and it worked great, i want to get into HP tuners for my current rig. Also thats a big lift block in the rear, why not a deaver spring pack?
It’s what came with a lift kit and to be honest the Chevy rear leaves work quite well not as well as the older 63 inch springs but they still work nonetheless

Nate1369

Rank III

Member III

Bedford, Tarrant County, Texas, United States
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Peralta
Member #

Well I’m trying to be optimistic but I am running into a small issue already . With the lift set at about 6” it is sitting hard on the jounce bushing . Now I’ve owned lifted torsion bars Chevys in the past and my normal formula for making it right nice would be to put on a 6 inch lift and run it about 5 1/4 inches left to keep the preload off the torsion bars but at that point it’s usually slightly above the Jounce bushing. Idk I’ll play with it later but man the ride is a lot worse now . View attachment 196395
With my cognito lift i used 1/4 inch spacers up front to clear uca with 35x12.5r17 factory wheels.. can’t comment on jounce stops as my kit relocates jounce stops to lower arm bracket.. normally you want them to just barely touch...

Attachments

Reactions: RoarinRow

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Got the ride better by lifting it more and trimming the bumpstops . It was basically resting on the bumpstops so when I trimmed them the truck lowered 3/4 of a inch . It’s taller than I wanted and I kinda wish I went 4” but still happy with the way it looks ...... might just need bigger tires 35249B73-9EB6-469A-9AF8-35AC35C88879.jpeg

Reactions: Sparksalot

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Got the ride better by lifting it more and trimming the bumpstops . It was basically resting on the bumpstops so when I trimmed them the truck lowered 3/4 of a inch . It’s taller than I wanted and I kinda wish I went 4” but still happy with the way it looks ...... might just need bigger tires View attachment 196622
Nah, the tires look pretty good to me.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Got the ride better by lifting it more and trimming the bumpstops . It was basically resting on the bumpstops so when I trimmed them the truck lowered 3/4 of a inch . It’s taller than I wanted and I kinda wish I went 4” but still happy with the way it looks ...... might just need bigger tires View attachment 196622
Tires look a good size. Lift looks respectable without over -doing it. The whole truck looks good.

Theres a difference between a workin', badass, ready-to-go truck, and a beautiful truck. I went a little on the beautiful truck side this time. But yours looks like it's down for whatever. A heavy load. Camping. Riding two-tracks. If the look translates to capability, you're good.

Reactions: Sparksalot

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Truck looks good! Im not surprised that the ride isn't great though, those shocks aren't known for being good ;P

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Truck looks good! Im not surprised that the ride isn't great though, those shocks aren't known for being good ;P
the rear is fantastic and the front is wayyyyybetter now that it’s not being fully supported by the jounce bumpers . Picking up a winch this weekend so after that’s all on and I get the suspension dialed in the hight I want coilovers will save the day for a much better ride . Also thinking of fabing up some mounts so I can install some air bumpstops down the road .