Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Searched for a while to find a lower miles , pnw owned in good shape Silverado or Sierra . In all honesty I was looking for a 3/4 ton but couldn’t find in good shape with low miles that wasn’t a rust bucket east coast rig . Ended up finding this one owner 140k miles Sierra . Having a truck is so nice again I can throw all sorts of normal life stuff in the bed . B196B3D3-3ACE-424F-93AF-96DFE38D03AE.jpeg

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Looks like a nice set of wheels! Nice comfy ride, I bet.
At first I took umbrage at the "rust bucket east coast rig" comment, but then, even us in the Northeast prefer not to buy rust bucket, New England beaters. So, what can I say

I always lamented that there wasn't a Havana brown during those years.

Maybe that's it: Golden Girl

Reactions: Broke

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Looks like a nice set of wheels! Nice comfy ride, I bet.
At first I took umbrage at the "rust bucket east coast rig" comment, but then, even us in the Northeast prefer not to buy rust bucket, New England beaters. So, what can I say

I always lamented that there wasn't a Havana brown during those years.

Maybe that's it: Golden Girl
unfortunately the ride is absolutely garbage due to having and I don’t know why the same torsion bars that come in a 2500 hd diesel so it just rides like a brick

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I had some Chevys with torsion bars that were quite comfortable. Check stock height to see if the keys are dialed in a bit too much, which would leave the truck a little tall.

At that age, it could need springs and theres a good chance the shocks are toast

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I had some Chevys with torsion bars that were quite comfortable. Check stock height to see if the keys are dialed in a bit too much, which would leave the truck a little tall.

At that age, it could need springs and theres a good chance the shocks are toast
Already did shocks the problem actually is the bars . Going off the rpo codes and tags on the bars they are rated at 7600lbs a piece and normally 1/2 tons are in the 3-4K range depending on what packages where added from the factory . So just to make it ride reasonably comfortable even with the lift keys in it I have the suspension dialed back to stock hight . I just need to spend the time at the junkyard to find the right poundage Torsion bars but just been to lazy .... I mean busy to do it .

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I wonder if the rear springs have more leaves than normal and this one was ordered as a "heavy half".

Beautiful and beautiful!
who knows it’s the last year of torsion bar suspension in the 1/2 tons so maybe they ran out of the normal bars and just said “ screw it toss in whatever we have laying around “

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
Not to be a smart a$$ but I don’t get the problem you’re having with your torsion bars.

can you further explain the problem you think you’re having?

I’m very savvy in these trucks so just trying to help

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

How are those Kenda tires treating you. What's the fuel economy and noise trade-off like? They sure seem aggressive. Just saw some in person the other day
So far really impressed with them , they balanced easy , fairly quiet , seem to work very well in the snow so far . I took a 3mpg hit but will be swapping to 4.10 gears eventually so it should go back up a bit

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Not to be a smart a$$ but I don’t get the problem you’re having with your torsion bars.

can you further explain the problem you think you’re having?

I’m very savvy in these trucks so just trying to help
The bars are way too thick and the pound rating is way too high for the weight of the truck causing it to ride really rough.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

So far really impressed with them , they balanced easy , fairly quiet , seem to work very well in the snow so far . I took a 3mpg hit but will be swapping to 4.10 gears eventually so it should go back up a bit
I was wondering if they balanced well enough. A 3mpg hit? Well, I plan on 33's, not 35's, so maybe I'll only get a 2 mpg hit. I already removed my front air den and leveled the front. I may get a second air dam and cut it in half lengthwise, so there is still a small dam, just not a plow

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I was wondering if they balanced well enough. A 3mpg hit? Well, I plan on 33's, not 35's, so maybe I'll only get a 2 mpg hit. I already removed my front air den and leveled the front. I may get a second air dam and cut it in half lengthwise, so there is still a small dam, just not a plow
I was going to go 33s but got the 35s at a killer price
0CBA34D2-DB3D-4B35-9E2D-8D1A8212BD85.png

Clrussell

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Arkansas, USA
First Name
Corbin
Last Name
Russell
If you don’t mind post a picture of your front suspension.
The control arms, upper specifically.

your truck should sit level from the factory if it has to heavy of a bar in it.
Because if that’s the case it has preload per say than a stock truck. The same as installing torsion bar keys.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

If you don’t mind post a picture of your front suspension.
The control arms, upper specifically.

your truck should sit level from the factory if it has to heavy of a bar in it.
Because if that’s the case it has preload per say than a stock truck. The same as installing torsion bar keys.
Actually having the opposite problem even with a set of lift keys in it it only sits 1/8-1/4” above the jounce joint with the bolt adjusted 3/4 of the way in . The 3/4 ton bars are actually keyed slightly different than the 1/2 ton bars , the 3/4 ton trucks look taller due to having a thinker frame and a slight “ body lift” from the factory to clear a larger radiator.