First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Rte fabrication
I think I will make my own. Rte wants $800 + for a rear bumper. About the same for a front bumper as well. Thanks for the info on your rig build. I don't have a Discount Tire but I have a Big "O" tire center. I'll ck with them on the tires. Your tires are half the price of ones I have been looking at. Did you get 4 or 5 tires for that price.

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

MattAnderson1986

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Elkhart County, Indiana, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I think I will make my own. Rte wants $800 + for a rear bumper. About the same for a front bumper as well. Thanks for the info on your rig build. I don't have a Discount Tire but I have a Big "O" tire center. I'll ck with them on the tires. Your tires are half the price of ones I have been looking at. Did you get 4 or 5 tires for that price.
I bought a lot of my stuff second hand and refurbished them. I also saved a lot by mounting the tires myself.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I bought a lot of my stuff second hand and refurbished them. I also saved a lot by mounting the tires myself.
I'm to old too do that any more , and yes you can probably add another $30 per tire for mounting and balancing at minimum.
I'm so old I have to call AAA to change my tire if I go flat in my driveway !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think we badly need a Craig's list specifically for Land Rovers of all sorts and years as a source of used parts. eBay is a rip off and I have never found a used part there. Maybe off roaders don't wreck their rigs HUH ? I've been thinking about opening a shop to fabricate bumpers and rock sliders for Discovery 1 and 2 series for about half the price the big guys are charging, mostly because of a much simpler design and a whole lot less weight. Not planning to get rich, just provide a product for the thousands of Disco's out there that are just now being converted from family transporters to off road vehicles.

MattAnderson1986

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger III

Elkhart County, Indiana, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

I think we badly need a Craig's list specifically for Land Rovers of all sorts and years as a source of used parts. eBay is a rip off and I have never found a used part there. Maybe off roaders don't wreck their rigs HUH ? I've been thinking about opening a shop to fabricate bumpers and rock sliders for Discovery 1 and 2 series for about half the price the big guys are charging, mostly because of a much simpler design and a whole lot less weight. Not planning to get rich, just provide a product for the thousands of Disco's out there that are just now being converted from family transporters to off road vehicles.
Facebook has a land rover parts page. also Dark Crow Designs makes affordable bumpers.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not sure if I missed this, but is your rear bumper an RTE? I'm in the market for a new rear on my D2, and really like the look of yours.

Mike
This drawing (rear bumper) is rough but if you take it to a local welding shop I'm sure you can have it made for half price. It is very close to what Matt Anderson has. I may draw his up just for fun, I like it too. If your interested I will send you a copy. Your welding shop can figure the best way to attach it to your vehicle, There are many ways. Fabricator needs to verify dimensions with your old bumper off. I planned to reuse my old bumper mounted signal lights, but you can change to LED lites if you like that better.

Attachments

MStudt

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Springfield, OR, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Studt
Member #

This drawing (rear bumper) is rough but if you take it to a local welding shop I'm sure you can have it made for half price. It is very close to what Matt Anderson has. I may draw his up just for fun, I like it too. If your interested I will send you a copy. Your welding shop can figure the best way to attach it to your vehicle, There are many ways. Fabricator needs to verify dimensions with your old bumper off. I planned to reuse my old bumper mounted signal lights, but you can change to LED lites if you like that better.
I'm sure I could make it cheaper than a local welder in my area. I work for a very large restaurant furniture fabricator, and have access to a full weld shop. I can take a rough drawing, and have my programming guys put it into a DXF file.

Mike

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm sure I could make it cheaper than a local welder in my area. I work for a very large restaurant furniture fabricator, and have access to a full weld shop. I can take a rough drawing, and have my programming guys put it into a DXF file.

Mike
The only dimensions that could be off is the one that says 66", It just depends on how much width you want. The other dimension would be from the rear of the bumper forward to the wheel well opening. I'm chopping off the bottom of the fender at the bottom of the 2" part of the side guard. I call for 2x4, 2x6 tubing with 2x2 on the side fender guard but "C" channel may be better depending on the abuse it gets. I will use "c" channel for the most part. wish I had your facilities. I will do it the hard way, disk cutter for shaping the steel and probably arc welding or flux core welder. If you make one post me a pic please.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Mike
I may have a DX file on both front and rear "my kinda bumper" !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Mike
Here is a good bumper build site on utube. excellent rear winch bumper but doesn't have to have a winch necessarily.