2 Door Wrangler Build

• HTML tutorial

Derty Offroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Nice setup! Im debating getting the Rhino Rack Backbone setup or a full Gobi rack system. I like the Backbone for the lower profile and seems to be holding up well for people that have it. Drilling into my hardtop is the only thing holding me back.

Also I am running 35s and its the world of difference. I would suggest a re-gear as its very sluggish as im still on 3.73 stock gears. But it looks like you are already going that route :grinning:

Reactions: GTJeeper

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Nice setup! Im debating getting the Rhino Rack Backbone setup or a full Gobi rack system. I like the Backbone for the lower profile and seems to be holding up well for people that have it. Drilling into my hardtop is the only thing holding me back.

Also I am running 35s and its the world of difference. I would suggest a re-gear as its very sluggish as im still on 3.73 stock gears. But it looks like you are already going that route :grinning:
I was between the two aswell, but got a huge sale on rhino rack. They seem to have a couple a year if you’re patient around 20% off.

I liked rhino rack because as you said lower profile, it is removable when you don’t want it so you don’t completely destroy fuel economy, and it’s fairly lightweight.

Drilling into the top was a little intimidating, but just remember measure twice drill once and you should be good! It’s fairly easy as long as you have the right tools and the instructions were excellent, I felt very confident in myself. I’m always able to answer questions and I’m sure others are aswell!

So far, I used the platform with a roof tent, awning, and shovel up top most of the summer. On road it’s a little too heavy but not bad, I’m at or slightly over the weight recomendation for off road but I don’t even notice it at the slower speeds, as long as you’re aware it’s there you won’t have any issues, I’ve slept in the tent with someone else, so around 350 lbs plus the tent without issue. When I first mounted it, one hole leaked one day, but has not since. I didn’t use any sort of gasket maker, and living in the NW I see lots of rain. Overall I’d highly recommend it but feel free to ask other questions if you’re still not sure!

Reactions: Derty Offroad

Derty Offroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I was between the two aswell, but got a huge sale on rhino rack. They seem to have a couple a year if you’re patient around 20% off.

I liked rhino rack because as you said lower profile, it is removable when you don’t want it so you don’t completely destroy fuel economy, and it’s fairly lightweight.

Drilling into the top was a little intimidating, but just remember measure twice drill once and you should be good! It’s fairly easy as long as you have the right tools and the instructions were excellent, I felt very confident in myself. I’m always able to answer questions and I’m sure others are aswell!

So far, I used the platform with a roof tent, awning, and shovel up top most of the summer. On road it’s a little too heavy but not bad, I’m at or slightly over the weight recomendation for off road but I don’t even notice it at the slower speeds, as long as you’re aware it’s there you won’t have any issues, I’ve slept in the tent with someone else, so around 350 lbs plus the tent without issue. When I first mounted it, one hole leaked one day, but has not since. I didn’t use any sort of gasket maker, and living in the NW I see lots of rain. Overall I’d highly recommend it but feel free to ask other questions if you’re still not sure!
Thanks for all the information! Ill definitely look out for Rhino rack sales! We don't get much rain here in Arizona so the leaking isnt to big of a deal for me but is one of concerns I had with that option.

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Seeing as my build is starting to get a few more views, I figure now would be a good time to update recent changes.

Bumper,
Previously I had a DV8 bumper, it wasn’t too great and I had it about 3 years. When mounting it initially, 3 mounting holes did not line up with the frame holes which was very frustrating. I massaged two of them to work but couldn’t do anything about the third leaving me missing a mounting bolt. When using the winch the bumper regularly made popping and cracking noises leaving me with an uneasy feeling, and it had began some “powdercoat” flaking and had some very bad rust spots in the end.

Since I’m using the Jeep as a Jeep more than I originally expected to, I decided to upgrade to an ARB Stubby bumper. The instructions for the install were very well done and made it quick and easy. I was nervous it may look slightly out of place with around a 3” lift and only 33” tires, but I’d say it came out looking good. The bumper is made extremely well and I’m very happy with it, the sense of safety, and added clearance that came with it.

Rack,
Being a big skier, I knew I needed a rack. I could use the rhino rack platform, or get the crossbars that work with the backbone kit, but either option there would run me a few hundred to get it set up. Instead I went to a small welding shop in Spokane that made me a simple cross bar set up. It’s made of aluminum so it’s very lightweight but strong, and allows me to wait until spring to have it painted when I don’t need it. It’s a simple cross bar to Yakima specs (since I had their ski racks) with a 90 degree angle bend at each end. Only ran me about $100 to have made and I’m very happy with the result.

Switch Panel,
In the past I had made my own fuse box to control all my lights. Once I installed the dual battery I didn’t have a way or a place to mount it. Rather than spending a lot to almost completely redo the box, I opted to purchase one by apollintech on amazon that I’m very happy with. After connecting all my lights and swapping out the custom switches I love the result. It’s dual lit so you can see the label when off, and the icon when on. It’s only operable with the Jeep on so that helps prevent people from messing with the lights when I have the doors off. The switches mount overhead like an spod, which forced me to relocate my cb radio bedside the t-case shifter which I have no issues with.

Mud Flaps,
This is one mod I didn’t really want to do. I love the look of the Jeep without them, but had reason to mount them. Living in Spokane there’s a lot of road salting, after the first day of this the Jeep was absolutely covered in shiny road salt. In an attempt to avoid rusting sooner than I’d like, I picked up some cheap front flaps from the auto parts store that were universal. The fronts use self drilling screws but can be easily removed. For the rear I went with a large removable option, this way I can remove them when I don’t want them, but throw them on when I do. I figured the tears will also be nice when towing a boat, or a camp trailer on gravel roads by preventing rocks from being thrown off the rear tires.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

Reactions: Jimmy P and Jes

Jes

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

FL
Member #

Good choice with the bumper! I’ve been watching Craigslist in my area to see if an ARB or AEV bumper becomes available. I like the stubby look.

Nice update- thanks for posting.

Swhirstein

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Davenport, Iowa, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Hirstein
Member #

Props! I like the look, stubby doesn't look bad with factory fenders, which has been my fear. How do you like the RTT, I haven't heard of that brand, although I am just starting to research them. How's the quality for the price, I've seen some that get really expensive.

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Props! I like the look, stubby doesn't look bad with factory fenders, which has been my fear. How do you like the RTT, I haven't heard of that brand, although I am just starting to research them. How's the quality for the price, I've seen some that get really expensive.
For price I think it’s great! I checked out them and CVT in person when I was in Oregon last year and both were great tents, while the CVT is definitely a bit nicer, I didn’t think it was enough of a difference to spend a few extra hundred dollars. I worked with Casey from fsr and he was awesome, very friendly and great to work with, I was given his cars and for any issues he told me to call him directly which I really liked. Overall the tent has been great and I really like it, I was looking at another brand in Spokane actually for about the same price but lower profile and lighter which was good to me but they never contacted me back after many many attempts. Overall I do really like the fsr tent though, the cushion is good, the stitching looks great, the quality all in all is top notch for the price. I have not used it yet in the rain but it seems that it would do just fine. Hope this helps!

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

I realize it’s been a while so I thought I’d post an update, I apologize for the lack of updates on this thread. Since my last post the Jeep has been upgraded to 35’s. The 33’s I had went to my trailer I built. I don’t plan to make a separate thread for it but I do have some additional photos of the build process I can post if anyone is interested.

Last weekend I got up north to B.C. and ran the Whipsaw Trail, with my trailer of course. I ran the trail Sunday-Monday so it was fairly quiet for me, and I spent the night at Wells Lake, about the halfway point. If you haven’t run the trail I highly recommend it, it’s very beautiful on the trail and not overly difficult depending on your vehicle of course. I have a few photos from the trip, and of the trailer I’ll post up and I’m happy to answer any questions anyone has.

ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1533259203.161692.jpg
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1533259213.275376.jpg
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1533259223.221670.jpg
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1533259239.485255.jpg
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1533259259.039339.jpg
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1533259269.836215.jpg

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Nice setup! So did you regear when you went to 35's or still rollin with the stock 3.73's?
Currently still running the 3.73’s. It’s definitely under geared when I tow the trailer, but otherwise it’s not too bad. For sure something I’ll look at in the future, a second hand set of rubi axles with the 4.10’s would about perfect in my mind.

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

I was able to get out camping one last time before having to head back to school. We went up to Gallagher head lake, a popular spot in Washington, and spent the night with nice weather. Friday was pretty clear but Saturday morning the smoke settled in, luckily we planned to leave in the morning.

In the third pic you can see the dash bar of my new Rockhard 4x4 sport cage. If anyone has any questions that has been looking at that product feel free to ask but I’m very happy so far!

ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1534733300.133350.jpg
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1534733343.841990.jpg
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1534733355.430478.jpg

Reactions: gabe

LostMayhem

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maccione
Member #

How do you like the quadratec rock rails? I would really like to replace my plastic ones, but there’s a ton of options and most are very expensive.

Could you use them as a hi lift jack point?

Do they provide any step into the Jeep? Mines got a bit of a lift and the fiancé needs all the help she can get.

Cheers!

GTJeeper

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

How do you like the quadratec rock rails? I would really like to replace my plastic ones, but there’s a ton of options and most are very expensive.

Could you use them as a hi lift jack point?

Do they provide any step into the Jeep? Mines got a bit of a lift and the fiancé needs all the help she can get.

Cheers!
The Quadratec rails are pretty good for a more budget slider. I’ve never tried to jack up from them but I’m guessing you could. They’ve saved my rocker panel a few times so they work for light to moderate wheeling I’d say. I personally use them as a step, I put some grip tape on top to help with that and I’ll include a picture.

That being said, I’m starting to get into some more intense wheeling in the area, and am making plans to run the rubicon summer of 2019. I don’t think they’ll hold up as well on that so I’m planing to go top of the line and get some EVO mfg weld on sliders.
ImageUploadedByOverland Bound Talk1537467582.278675.jpg

LostMayhem

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Jersey
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maccione
Member #

The Quadratec rails are pretty good for a more budget slider. I’ve never tried to jack up from them but I’m guessing you could. They’ve saved my rocker panel a few times so they work for light to moderate wheeling I’d say. I personally use them as a step, I put some grip tape on top to help with that and I’ll include a picture.

That being said, I’m starting to get into some more intense wheeling in the area, and am making plans to run the rubicon summer of 2019. I don’t think they’ll hold up as well on that so I’m planing to go top of the line and get some EVO mfg weld on sliders.
View attachment 69418
Thanks for the follow up and the picture, considering these but might just buy once cry once haha.

Nice looking rig!

CaseyW

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA
Member #

Great build - it's something I've been interested in doing as well. Can you show more pics of your storage organizer and fridge? How well does it all fit with the back seat removed? How did you anchor it down - did you put in a new floor?