Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Functionality has an inherent beauty.
Very true.

There's not too much else I need to do to the rig in terms of mods now. I'm thinking I will probably rebuild my awning with a bigger tarp, and there may be a few other minor changes as well. Probably install a UHF resource road radio sometime soon.

EastVanGuy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Guy
Last Name
Moody
Functionality has an inherent beauty.
Very true.

There's not too much else I need to do to the rig in terms of mods now. I'm thinking I will probably rebuild my awning with a bigger tarp, and there may be a few other minor changes as well. Probably install a UHF resource road radio sometime soon.
I think once I get the engine mount spacers in I will be done too. I think at most I will get a portable winch. I have done a number of little things that I will post just for interest sake later on. Now that things on my home front has calmed down (we were doing a kitchen reno) and the weather has cooled to more normal temperatures it should be time to get out. I haven't really tried my lift or tires out yet properly. Do you think the clicking from my replacement aftermarket axles is a reason to not drive too much? I know it canot be good. I intend to copy your spacer mod. HRG spacers are 7mm so seems pretty simple. It looks like the stock bolts have enough length for that.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I think once I get the engine mount spacers in I will be done too. I think at most I will get a portable winch. I have done a number of little things that I will post just for interest sake later on. Now that things on my home front has calmed down (we were doing a kitchen reno) and the weather has cooled to more normal temperatures it should be time to get out. I haven't really tried my lift or tires out yet properly. Do you think the clicking from my replacement aftermarket axles is a reason to not drive too much? I know it canot be good. I intend to copy your spacer mod. HRG spacers are 7mm so seems pretty simple. It looks like the stock bolts have enough length for that.
I wouldn't worry too much about it for local driving, but personally I wouldn't want to drive on any long haul hwy drives. My axles were vibrating pretty badly at speed to the point that it felt disconcerting, but now everything seems fine. It seems unlikely that a catastrophic failure would happen, but if it's possible, many hours at 100-120 kph is likely to do it, and would also be the worst possible scenario for it lol

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Made use of the highly precise Persuaderator 3000 today to correct some minor tire rubbing inside the front wheel wells, as well as massage the rear ones to make them a bit better as well.
persuasion.jpg
As the saying goes: freakin' mint.
persuasion2.jpg

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

What did you torque the motor mount bolts to after inserting the engine drop spacers? I am going to attempt mine today - but I have to fab the spacers too first.
I always use the German torque spec: gudentight. Lol

If you want to get them to the correct spec, it should be listed online. Search up "RD1 CR-V engine mount bolt torque spec" and you should find it pretty quickly. Lots of guys mod CR-V's both for off road and high performance, interestingly enough.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

You know, in thinking about my rig, I definitely spoke too soon in saying I didn't have much else to do. A few more mods came to my mind recently that I had somewhat forgotten.

1. Light bar along the front of the roof rack, preferably hidden under the flip up wind faring, paired with small spotties mounted in the grille on the winch bar.

2. Assuming I can get the oozy motor fixed up and the air conditioning idler pulley replaced, I would like to do a spruce up of the body, including touch ups on the black trim and wheels and painting the top white like an old school Land Rover or FJ. Possibly address the rust on the rear wheel well.

3. Replace the rear diff unit with the upgraded version off an 05.

4. Possibly redo the exhaust pipe and routing to give a bit more clearance and replace the bashed up resonator.

5. A skid plate for the carrier bearing.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

New Mod!

A little while ago I bought a 11.5x8.5 nylon rain fly, primarily for use in backpacking adventures, but I figured it could serve in overlanding as well. To that end, I built a telescoping mount bar to attach it to the back of the rig. For a while I've wanted a better solution than the extremely bulky and heavy 10x10 pop up canopy I've been using, and I figured that this rain fly could be it, but if it didn't work out for overlanding, it would still be perfect for backpacking.

The other day, I rigged up this telescoping bar mount for it from $20 of hardware and some tubing I had laying around. This is the result:

IMG_20220218_105909915_HDR.jpg
The clip pins toward the ends come out, the brass colored bars slide out and then the pins go back in to hold them in the extended position for the awning. The awning has a sort of hexagon shape, so the middle eye bolt is meant to accommodate that. I may work something else out to push it higher and further forward for better rain shedding, but for a first test, it's not bad.
IMG_20220217_152344367_HDR.jpg
Major improvement over my super duper ghetto first attempt at an awning:
awning 1.jpg

EastVanGuy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Guy
Last Name
Moody
I did something quite similar using painter extension poles and a heavier duty tarp. Used straps as guy lines and bungees to hold the rolled up tarp when driving. Works a treat.

I also added a shelf to the back door made of stainless steel that I had laying about. Holds the stove when I have the kitchen setup out. It rattles a bit when I am driving, and I should have used two hinges rather than one in the middle. It is strong, but does wiggle a bit side to side. Not sure what I was thinking...

Attachments

EastVanGuy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Guy
Last Name
Moody
Here are a couple of other bits and pieces. Cargo netting on the ceiling to put clothes etc. in at night (if two people are sleeping), led lights for better visibility, rain deflectors on the windows and mosquito netting over the door windows so I can keep them open at night. I mounted my radio antennae on the roof rack and only put it there when I go camping. I just pull the cable into the cab through the window.

Attachments

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

I did something quite similar using painter extension poles and a heavier duty tarp. Used straps as guy lines and bungees to hold the rolled up tarp when driving. Works a treat.

I also added a shelf to the back door made of stainless steel that I had laying about. Holds the stove when I have the kitchen setup out. It rattles a bit when I am driving, and I should have used two hinges rather than one in the middle. It is strong, but does wiggle a bit side to side. Not sure what I was thinking...
I really like that. My posts for the awning are also a pair of painting extension poles! Great minds think alike, clearly.

Where is that sandy spot? Looks like a sweet location for a campout.

I actually considered doing almost the exact same thing with a fold down table on the rear door, but opted not to due to there already being quite a lot of weight on mine between the extra large spare tire, the "trasharoo" and the 20L Jerry can and mount. I have a separate folding camp kitchen made by Woods that serves nicely and fits perfectly on top of the table under the shelf in the back.

I love your light setup! Very nice. I also had the same idea about the cargo net. I would be interested in more details about how you rigged it.

What kind of radio are you running? Ham? CB? LADD (RR channels)?

Last edited:

EastVanGuy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Guy
Last Name
Moody
The shelf is very light, until I put a stove on it, and then is is still light. I find it useful as a place to put stuff when I am digging about in the back of the truck. I also like your folding kitchen idea - way more flexible in case you don't get a nice level spot to park.

The cargo net is clipped at the front to the hand holds above the doors and to the baby car seat mounts in the rear. It is really handy. The lights were cheap and from Amazon. To be really useful I think I should have the 12v outlet in the rear run even when the ignition is off - right now I have to put the ignition to accessory to give it power. I run the lights and the cool-a-tron from a splitter in that rear 12v outlet.

The radio is a VHF unit that I put into the 12v outlet up front. I monitor the radio on the FSR for working trucks and other off roaders, but I don't really know what I am doing with it.

That sandy spot is on the Elaho river 44km from the start of the Squamish FSR up the Elaho FSR, which is off the Squamish FSR at about 24km. Pretty nice - drive out onto the sandy beach and pick a spot. I like that place because it is just far enough, but I can get there from my house in East Van in about 2 hours door to door(?). There are some big neighbours already up there too (see pic with my boot in for reference).

Attachments

Reactions: KAIONE

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

The shelf is very light, until I put a stove on it, and then is is still light. I find it useful as a place to put stuff when I am digging about in the back of the truck. I also like your folding kitchen idea - way more flexible in case you don't get a nice level spot to park.

The cargo net is clipped at the front to the hand holds above the doors and to the baby car seat mounts in the rear. It is really handy. The lights were cheap and from Amazon. To be really useful I think I should have the 12v outlet in the rear run even when the ignition is off - right now I have to put the ignition to accessory to give it power. I run the lights and the cool-a-tron from a splitter in that rear 12v outlet.

The radio is a VHF unit that I put into the 12v outlet up front. I monitor the radio on the FSR for working trucks and other off roaders, but I don't really know what I am doing with it.

That sandy spot is on the Elaho river 44km from the start of the Squamish FSR up the Elaho FSR, which is off the Squamish FSR at about 24km. Pretty nice - drive out onto the sandy beach and pick a spot. I like that place because it is just far enough, but I can get there from my house in East Van in about 2 hours door to door(?). There are some big neighbours already up there too (see pic with my boot in for reference).
Gotta love bear country lol

The LADD channels are UHF, VHF is for marine use. I'm planning to get a UHF from Amazon ASAP this season and program it for all the BC RR channels, including the newish 4x4 channel (thanks to the lobbying of BC4WD), because logging, natural gas and mining is SUPER active up here, and it's just good sense for safety. Once I get that wired up, I'll have the CB, the UHF and 2 hand held GMRS in my setup. EDIT: My info was wrong, LADD channels and BC FSR channels are indeed land mobile VHF. Just noticed this error and wanted to correct it. Marine also uses VHF in a different frequency range.

I'm definitely rigging up a cargo net like yours the first chance I get.

Cheers!

Last edited:

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

20210901_085718.jpg
watersplash.jpg
It is with great sadness that I must report the loss of a great machine, and a much beloved adventure rig.

Recently I moved my family from BC to Alberta, about 30 minutes east of Edmonton. On moving day, while cruising along the freeway about half an hour from Vanderhoof, BC, the engine suddenly died, and I immediately thought it was the timing belt. After having the vehicle towed to PG where our hotel was for the first night, re-jigging everything in both Ganbaru and the family mini van, and continuing on to Edmonton, we waited a week to find out my fears were confirmed and the timing belt had snapped.

At this point, we were over 8h away in another province trying desperately to secure our new home (a lot of drama was involved in that, which I won't go into) and we were faced with a choice. The B20z engine is an interference engine, which for any who aren't familiar, means that the pistons and the valves occupy the same space, but not at the same time so long as the timing belt is intact. When it snaps while the engine is running, there is a chance that the valves impact the piston heads and the engine is badly wrecked. The B20z actually has an amazing track record of surviving timing belt failure, and anecdotal evidence suggests it's more likely than not that the engine is just fine with a new timing belt, but it remains a gamble.

The choice was to roll the dice on a $1000 repair on the car, then go through the difficult logistics of getting me back to Prince George to recover the vehicle and drive it the rest of the way to Alberta, or to let it go and send it to the scrap yard and purchase a new vehicle in Alberta. I was strongly considering fixing it and taking the risk, but in the end, all things considered, including the fact that given our new 5 acre property would likely demand that I have a pickup truck, we decided it didn't make sense to take the risk on the CR-V. My father in law graciously recovered almost all of my adventure gear from Ganbaru, including the CR-V table, and most importantly, my OB member badge, and we bid it farewell.

In practical terms, it was a simple decision. Why risk pouring money into a 23 year old vehicle on a repair that might fail, given that it had other issues going on like a leaky steering rack, busted exhaust pipe, and would never pass an out of province inspection in a million years? And yet, it was not an easy decision, and in the end it was a sorrowful one.

I'm not a materialist by any means, and ultimately a car is just a car, but in reflecting on why I was so sad to lose Ganbaru, I realized that it isn't the car itself that creates a feeling of loss, so much as all the amazing memories associated with it.

This was my first ever 4x4, it was the rig that I used to dive into the world of overlanding and offroading. It was the vehicle I learned to drive off road in. I poured hours and hours into fixing and modifying it. It was the rig that took me to some of the most amazing places I have ever been in my life, including Kitsault, Doreen, the Telkwa Pass, Work Channel Inlet, the top of Windy Knob and Mount Cheam, the Fraser Canyon, and the list goes on and on. Every time I sat in the driver's seat of Ganbaru, I had a direct connection to those experiences, a connection which is lost now, although thankfully I still have many photos and videos to remember them by. I also lost all the potential adventures I hoped to have in it, including a potential run of the Whipsaw Trail, and other places I hoped to visit someday in Ganbaru.

Even now, as I write this, I still feel that sense of loss. I like to think, however, that this is really a sign that it served its purpose admirably and gave me many wonderful memories and experiences that I will cherish forever, and so I am very thankful for the time I had driving Ganbaru.

I also remind myself that this is Overland Bound, and here we believe that Adventure is Necessary and It Doesn't Matter What You Drive.

With that in mind, I introduce my new adventure rig (and homestead workhorse):
Dakota.jpg
A 2006 Dodge Dakota. It has a 4.7L V8, a proper transfer case with 4hi and 4low settings, air conditioning, AM/FM/CD stereo, power doors, windows, and mirrors, and a 5.5 Ft pickup bed for all my adventure gear, hay bail, tool and garbage hauling needs. It even came with a cheapo vinyl roll up tonneau cover, which although not great, provides some shelter to whatever I throw in the bed.

I have some ideas, but as yet I'm uncertain how I'm going to fit it out. One strong possibility is that I will convert the custom DIY roof rack from Ganbaru into a bed rack for the truck.

My days behind the wheel of an RD1 CR-V may be over for now (I won't rule out buying another one some day, I still love them) but my adventuring is far from over.

Please feel free to message me any time about anything CR-V, as I am and will remain the CR-Venturer (it was my first 4x4 after all, and I still have the folding table!) and stay tuned for a build thread on the Dakota sometime in the future.

Keep adventuring!

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Sorry to hear about the passing of Ganbaru :( Hopefully it's replacement will last a long time.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Sorry to hear about the passing of Ganbaru :( Hopefully it's replacement will last a long time.
Thanks :) My mind is already spinning with various ideas on how to build it out, but after the expense of getting things going here on the homestead, my bank account says I'm going to be waiting for everything except new tires lol.

EastVanGuy

Rank I

Enthusiast I

British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Guy
Last Name
Moody
View attachment 234812
View attachment 234813
It is with great sadness that I must report the loss of a great machine, and a much beloved adventure rig.

Recently I moved my family from BC to Alberta, about 30 minutes east of Edmonton. On moving day, while cruising along the freeway about half an hour from Vanderhoof, BC, the engine suddenly died, and I immediately thought it was the timing belt. After having the vehicle towed to PG where our hotel was for the first night, re-jigging everything in both Ganbaru and the family mini van, and continuing on to Edmonton, we waited a week to find out my fears were confirmed and the timing belt had snapped.

At this point, we were over 8h away in another province trying desperately to secure our new home (a lot of drama was involved in that, which I won't go into) and we were faced with a choice. The B20z engine is an interference engine, which for any who aren't familiar, means that the pistons and the valves occupy the same space, but not at the same time so long as the timing belt is intact. When it snaps while the engine is running, there is a chance that the valves impact the piston heads and the engine is badly wrecked. The B20z actually has an amazing track record of surviving timing belt failure, and anecdotal evidence suggests it's more likely than not that the engine is just fine with a new timing belt, but it remains a gamble.

The choice was to roll the dice on a $1000 repair on the car, then go through the difficult logistics of getting me back to Prince George to recover the vehicle and drive it the rest of the way to Alberta, or to let it go and send it to the scrap yard and purchase a new vehicle in Alberta. I was strongly considering fixing it and taking the risk, but in the end, all things considered, including the fact that given our new 5 acre property would likely demand that I have a pickup truck, we decided it didn't make sense to take the risk on the CR-V. My father in law graciously recovered almost all of my adventure gear from Ganbaru, including the CR-V table, and most importantly, my OB member badge, and we bid it farewell.

In practical terms, it was a simple decision. Why risk pouring money into a 23 year old vehicle on a repair that might fail, given that it had other issues going on like a leaky steering rack, busted exhaust pipe, and would never pass an out of province inspection in a million years? And yet, it was not an easy decision, and in the end it was a sorrowful one.

I'm not a materialist by any means, and ultimately a car is just a car, but in reflecting on why I was so sad to lose Ganbaru, I realized that it isn't the car itself that creates a feeling of loss, so much as all the amazing memories associated with it.

This was my first ever 4x4, it was the rig that I used to dive into the world of overlanding and offroading. It was the vehicle I learned to drive off road in. I poured hours and hours into fixing and modifying it. It was the rig that took me to some of the most amazing places I have ever been in my life, including Kitsault, Doreen, the Telkwa Pass, Work Channel Inlet, the top of Windy Knob and Mount Cheam, the Fraser Canyon, and the list goes on and on. Every time I sat in the driver's seat of Ganbaru, I had a direct connection to those experiences, a connection which is lost now, although thankfully I still have many photos and videos to remember them by. I also lost all the potential adventures I hoped to have in it, including a potential run of the Whipsaw Trail, and other places I hoped to visit someday in Ganbaru.

Even now, as I write this, I still feel that sense of loss. I like to think, however, that this is really a sign that it served its purpose admirably and gave me many wonderful memories and experiences that I will cherish forever, and so I am very thankful for the time I had driving Ganbaru.

I also remind myself that this is Overland Bound, and here we believe that Adventure is Necessary and It Doesn't Matter What You Drive.

With that in mind, I introduce my new adventure rig (and homestead workhorse):
View attachment 234814
A 2006 Dodge Dakota. It has a 4.7L V8, a proper transfer case with 4hi and 4low settings, air conditioning, AM/FM/CD stereo, power doors, windows, and mirrors, and a 5.5 Ft pickup bed for all my adventure gear, hay bail, tool and garbage hauling needs. It even came with a cheapo vinyl roll up tonneau cover, which although not great, provides some shelter to whatever I throw in the bed.

I have some ideas, but as yet I'm uncertain how I'm going to fit it out. One strong possibility is that I will convert the custom DIY roof rack from Ganbaru into a bed rack for the truck.

My days behind the wheel of an RD1 CR-V may be over for now (I won't rule out buying another one some day, I still love them) but my adventuring is far from over.

Please feel free to message me any time about anything CR-V, as I am and will remain the CR-Venturer (it was my first 4x4 after all, and I still have the folding table!) and stay tuned for a build thread on the Dakota sometime in the future.

Keep adventuring!
RIP CRV, I will do my best to carry the flag for the best (in my opinion) camping vehicle.

Good luck in the frozen tundra, I guess you will miss the mountains, but they are just a couple of hours away when nature calls.

Reactions: CR-Venturer