Contributor I

Hudson, NY, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Foote
Member #

Hey all!

I picked up a super clean 1990 Toyota Hilux Surf (right-hand drive) in December. It's got a 2.4l turbo diesel (2LTE engine) mated to a 5 speed auto trans and 4-wheel drive. I love the damn thing. It was in superb condition when I bought it and it has served me well.

The 2LTE engine has gotten a bad rap because of its tendency to overheat and crack the head. This is mostly due to not being equipped with an intercooler from the factory and having thin walls between the coolant channels and the cylinder. I've gone ahead and done a few mods:

1. Evan Performance waterless coolant (prevents steam pockets from forming in the head)
2. Brand new OEM CT20 turbo (old one was shot)
3. GReddy LS Spec Type 31 air-to-air intercooler
4. McNally boost/EGT gauge
5. TurboSmart boost controller (stepped up boost from ~8psi to 14psi, which is the factory limit before the computer cuts ignition)
6. Full 2.5" exhaust with a new 3" downpipe

These mods are both for increased power AND reliability, as they all reduce EGTs and help that little diesel push more air. I'll post photos of the mods soon!

Up next will be suspension upgrades and an ARB bull bar.

1976337_orig.jpg 6613661_orig.jpg 9540675_orig.jpg

Last edited:

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Very Cool. I remember being in Panama a few years ago and cruising around in Diesel Surfs and thinking how cool they would be in the US. Keep us updated.

Reactions: Henry Foote

Henry Foote

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hudson, NY, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Foote
Member #

The GReddy intercooler is mounted! The piping had to be routed the long way to keep the factory AC compressor (worth it!), but it's looking sweet. A new CT20 turbo is in the mail, and then it all goes back together!

I should mention that Jim Bersani Enterprises in Cicero, NY is doing all the work. He's a really solid guy and is very reasonable with the price. He knows what he's doing with boost (he races a 2,000hp twin turbo Camaro on the weekends. If you need anything done check him out!

Jim Bersani Ent.
6525 Lakeshore Road
Cicero, NY 13039
(315) 243-6605

I'll post some more photos when the new turbo arrives and the new exhaust is fabricated.

IMG_1464.JPG IMG_1465.JPG IMG_1466.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
I was watching that online. If I had the funds I would have jumped on it.

How are those guys to deal with. They seem to have some cool vehicles run thru there from time to time

Sent from my SM-G935V using Overland Bound Talk mobile app

Henry Foote

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hudson, NY, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Foote
Member #

I was watching that online. If I had the funds I would have jumped on it.

How are those guys to deal with. They seem to have some cool vehicles run thru there from time to time

These guys are super nice and easy to deal with. They let me take my time and wander around the whole warehouse geeking out over all the crazy stuff they had. Their prices are extremely reasonable, especially when you look at what other importers are charging for similar vehicles. The descriptions online are accurate and they had my Hilux detailed before I picked it up. They also offered to pick me up from the airport and my hotel because I obviously didn't have a car and had flown in to buy the Hilux.

All around, really solid dudes. They have high standards and I will absolutely be purchasing from them again (I've got my eye on a Toyota Sera or a Mitsubishi Delica).

Henry Foote

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hudson, NY, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Foote
Member #

The exhaust is on and the build is wrapped up. I spoke with Jim on the phone today who said the truck was pulling hard and making lots of turbo noises, which is good to hear. Currently the truck is pushing 16-17lbs of boost (factory was 8lbs), but I'm going to back off a bit and set it to 13-14 to be safe.

More updates to come when I pickup the truck!

IMG_2433.jpeg IMG_3548.jpeg IMG_5490.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry Foote

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hudson, NY, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
Foote
Member #

Good to know. My wife had a 1st Gen supra when we met. They just had a tt one in. Price was great. I'd love to pick one from them and of course a surf for me at some.point

Sent from my SM-G935V using Overland Bound Talk mobile app
Yea they're getting some good stuff these days. The Pulsar they just sold is one of the cooler things I've seen on there. Also, if you want a specific vehicle they will find it for you. Parts too