04 Land Rover Discovery NC

• HTML tutorial

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Had some free time yesterday, so I made some tree limb risers. Took a piece a aluminum and bent it 90° in a vice then cut it to size so it fits in the fender hood channel. Then I drilled some holes in it for mounting and one for the limb riser. Was pretty easy to get them mounted just had to pull the fender liner out and head light. Once I got those mounted I drilled holes in the rack and put in some eyelets. I attached the turn buckles to the loops for the 3/16” coated cable. Took the cable and ran it up to the carabiner that is attached to the eyelet. Secured the cable and boom got me some risers for like $30 and about 2hrs of time. Made sure it can be quickly removed since this is a Land Rover after all and we know I’m gonna need to get under the hood more often than other vehicle owners! IMG_3568.JPGIMG_3570.JPGIMG_3571.JPGIMG_3572.JPGIMG_3575.JPGIMG_3574.JPGIMG_3573.JPG

Damil

Rank III

Advocate II

You could put an S bend in the plates so that way you can open the hood without removing them. I would imagine a 1/4" bend over and up would give you hood clearance.

Reactions: CatPowerDude

Mark D

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Whittier CA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Dickens
Member #

Did you end up going with the 285 75 16 ? That is a 32.8”. I have 18” wheels so my sizes are limited and I have been looking at 275 65 18 which is 32.1”. Nice to see they fit. I have been running the stock 29”s on my disco for years (3 sets).

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Did you end up going with the 285 75 16 ? That is a 32.8”. I have 18” wheels so my sizes are limited and I have been looking at 275 65 18 which is 32.1”. Nice to see they fit. I have been running the stock 29”s on my disco for years (3 sets).
Yeah I went with the 285/75/16 cooper stt pros

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Preciate it! I feel it is very odd that you ask me where I go on a forum that it meant for it haha (sarcasm). So I go to uwharrie a few times a year, it is pretty close as you well know. I’ve also taken a long weekend trip to windrock off-road park in Tennessee. That was a great trip and we had a lot of fun on the black diamond trails. Hurricane creek is on my to do list it is on the boarder of NC and Tennessee off of 40 west. Then we did a fun trip to Richland road near blowing rock but as far as I know that is closed down now; which is a bummer it was a fun easy trail. There is also brown mtn near Marion and lots of service roads in the pisgah national forest to go play on. I’m planning on a few big trips this year to do the Georgia traverse trail and a few other places in Virginia and West Virginia.
Never heard of the Georgia traverse trail. Will it be your first experience on this trail?

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

LOL!!! I'm not the only … I feel much better now. TY Buddy for the update now I can pretend in front of my kids I know what their talking about!

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Finally was able to order some new parts today. I have some 3” HD OME lift springs, 2”+ Fox shocks, and some extended sway bar quick disconnects ordered. Now this truck can finally sit closer to where I want it and maybe flex a little bit. Just need to find some free time to get that installed with all the other parts that I have had stashed away for well over a year now.

Reactions: chithead

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3606.JPG
IMG_3607.JPG
Made it to hurricane creek this past weekend. I always forget to take pictures. So the first two are mine third one is from a guy that snuck one in of me, I normally hate being in pictures, so it’s probably best i didn’t know he was taking one. Still waiting on the Fox shocks to show up. Soon as they are here this thing is getting lifted!

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
How rutted out was Hurricane Creek?

I've been hearing that with it's gain in popularity it's getting destroyed. haven't been up there in a long time though, so I can't say whether that's true or not...

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

How rutted out was Hurricane Creek?

I've been hearing that with it's gain in popularity it's getting destroyed. haven't been up there in a long time though, so I can't say whether that's true or not...
Well it was my first time going, I’ve been wanting to go on that trail for 10years and just never made it. So I can’t compare it to how it was before. That being said i made it through the trail easily. Didn’t have any issues , there were some rutts but nothing terrible we had a 3rd gen 4Runner that had problems with his 4wd and he made most of it in 2wd I only had to pull him a few times. But I was kinda pissed at all the trash along the trail. If I had a trasharoo or at least a trash bag with me I would have picked as much up as I could have. Lots of beer cans... and it wasn’t even good beer!

eloist

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Nashville
Well it was my first time going, I’ve been wanting to go on that trail for 10years and just never made it. So I can’t compare it to how it was before. That being said i made it through the trail easily. Didn’t have any issues , there were some rutts but nothing terrible we had a 3rd gen 4Runner that had problems with his 4wd and he made most of it in 2wd I only had to pull him a few times. But I was kinda pissed at all the trash along the trail. If I had a trasharoo or at least a trash bag with me I would have picked as much up as I could have. Lots of beer cans... and it wasn’t even good beer!
Cool man, glad you enjoyed it. Not a terribly difficult trail, but the off camber rocky sections towards the top are a bit unnerving for sure. I can also imagine if it were heavily muddy and rutted, those drop off edges could be a bit scary as well.

Shame about the beer cans, but ya know... people are terrible everywhere!

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Finally got all my new parts have arrived! Gonna try and install them all when I have some free time when it isn’t raining. Which has seemed non stop lately. But I also purchased a tom woods double Cardin front drive shaft, I had developed vibration under acceleration and upon inspection I can see where the factory one is coming apart at a few of the u joints. So I figured since I will be lifting the vehicle higher I should just go ahead and get the better drive shaft rather than just rebuild the stock unit. I’ve also drew up some plans to make a rear storage drawer, gonna try and start on that soon-ish as well. But for now with the lift and other goodies I’ll have a good days worth of work to do!

Reactions: NathanSE