Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Yes I did just add some hella valuefit rear mounted bumper lights. The last owner of my truck built the front and rear bumpers. The new bumper that I bought has rear recovery points built in, side mounted tree protectors, and deletes the rear trim pieces that I’m always worried are going to fall off. Nothing wrong with my current rear bumper I just wanted something different and what I wanted happened to pop up for sale locally. Any suggestions as how or who could ship such a large piece out to you? View attachment 104390

View attachment 104391View attachment 104392
I like the way the new bumper gets rid of the plastic trim above the bumper. Your old bumper could be modified to do the same I think. I wouldn't do it now but if I ever damaged the plastic or knocked it off, then I would weld on some shields to the old bumper.
Can you tell by looking if the previous owner cut off the bottom of the grill in order to snug the front bumper up higher by about an inch. It looks like he did or else he notched the top of the bumper to clear the grill shell. It is a very neat and clean look that I like. I don't like bull bars or light bars sticking up to interfere with air flow to the radiator.
My LRD2 has tow hooks on the rear frame from the factory. Did your LRD2 not have them ? They are located about 2 feet forward of the rear bumper and on the side of the frame.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

I like the way the new bumper gets rid of the plastic trim above the bumper. Your old bumper could be modified to do the same I think. I wouldn't do it now but if I ever damaged the plastic or knocked it off, then I would weld on some shields to the old bumper.
Can you tell by looking if the previous owner cut off the bottom of the grill in order to snug the front bumper up higher by about an inch. It looks like he did or else he notched the top of the bumper to clear the grill shell. It is a very neat and clean look that I like. I don't like bull bars or light bars sticking up to interfere with air flow to the radiator.
My LRD2 has tow hooks on the rear frame from the factory. Did your LRD2 not have them ? They are located about 2 feet forward of the rear bumper and on the side of the frame.
I think I would sell the old rear bumper for $350 plus shipping. The grill has not been trimmed, only the front fenders in front of the front tires. And if you’re talking about what I think, those hooks in the rear are the factory tie downs. I would not recommend using them as recovery points, those are not meant for any stress from a moving vehicle, they are only meant to tie down the vehicle during transport. And yes I would do all the work on my own.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I think I would sell the old rear bumper for $350 plus shipping. The grill has not been trimmed, only the front fenders in front of the front tires. And if you’re talking about what I think, those hooks in the rear are the factory tie downs. I would not recommend using them as recovery points, those are not meant for any stress from a moving vehicle, they are only meant to tie down the vehicle during transport. And yes I would do all the work on my own.
I checked with amazon on the cost of a new rear bumper. They want $478 with free shipping. I don't think a used bumper should sell for more than half the price of a new one, roughly $250. Adding the shipping to your bumper could add another $100. I can build the bumper for $150 plus $100 for the material with my local welder. What Im saying is I would be willing to pay you $350 if you pay for the shipping not to exceed $100.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks for the info on the hooks. I thought they were tow hooks. I had planned to add hooks to your bumper based on a YouTube video on building a custom bumper. If I have to build a bumper I would build it out of 1/4" steel tubing, not the 1/8" steel plate that most bumpers are built with. Steel tube bumpers are quite easy to build compared to the plate steel commercial bumpers. I might use 3/16" c-channel with plate steel on top closure. It too is very strong and easy to shape to the desired shape I want. Thanks CatPowerDude

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

I checked with amazon on the cost of a new rear bumper. They want $478 with free shipping. I don't think a used bumper should sell for more than half the price of a new one, roughly $250. Adding the shipping to your bumper could add another $100. I can build the bumper for $150 plus $100 for the material with my local welder. What Im saying is I would be willing to pay you $350 if you pay for the shipping not to exceed $100.
The rear bumper on mine is not equivalent to the Brit part rear bumper, that is the cheapest metal rear bumper that is available for discoveries. Mine was modeled after the Greg Davis rear bumpers which sell used regularly for $450 or more.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The rear bumper on mine is not equivalent to the Brit part rear bumper, that is the cheapest metal rear bumper that is available for discoveries. Mine was modeled after the Greg Davis rear bumpers which sell used regularly for $450 or more.
No argument there, I know your right. I think you bumper is well worth the $350 + shipping, that your asking. I just don't have that much cash on hand. I could send you $100 a month until it's paid for (you keep the bumper) if your not in a hurry to sell it. I'm having to do the same thing with a used refer and a used roof rack. That's the only way I will ever get them with my small income. I appreciate the fact you are willing to sell the bumper to me for that price, it's a fair price. Please consider my offer of paying it out over time. Credit cards don't help me with the individuals that I have been dealing with on private purchases. Thank you again..Lanlubber

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

710A8B62-BF3D-469D-B45D-72D05CEA7B8E.jpg

Picked up the new to me rear bumper this past week. Going to try and get it installed later this week if I end up having some free time. The dark crow customs rear bumper appears very well made, it was quite heavy I’m guessing it was around 150-200lbs, and has built in rear lights as well as 2 recovery points. I also got my Terrafirma rock sliders installed. They seem pretty sturdy and I used the high lift jack to lift the vehicle from the sliders, held the weight just fine. Been battling some cooling issues with the rover lately. Ever since this engine was new it has been making coolant disappear. Good news is it is still under warranty. Just waiting to hear back from the engine manufacturer on what they want to do to fix the cooling issue. Anyways there’s a picture of the new sliders installed.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
View attachment 107044

Picked up the new to me rear bumper this past week. Going to try and get it installed later this week if I end up having some free time. The dark crow customs rear bumper appears very well made, it was quite heavy I’m guessing it was around 150-200lbs, and has built in rear lights as well as 2 recovery points. I also got my Terrafirma rock sliders installed. They seem pretty sturdy and I used the high lift jack to lift the vehicle from the sliders, held the weight just fine. Been battling some cooling issues with the rover lately. Ever since this engine was new it has been making coolant disappear. Good news is it is still under warranty. Just waiting to hear back from the engine manufacturer on what they want to do to fix the cooling issue. Anyways there’s a picture of the new sliders installed.
Have you thought about the 180' corvette inline thermostat mod ? The 192' thermo that is stock LRD2 was designed for England's temperatures I'm told. It's hotter in the USA. Really good looking rig in my book.

disco2

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

View attachment 107044

Thought I had seen your truck before, Lucky8 reposted it the other day when you put your sliders on instagram. And it looks like you got Jessie M. rear bumper he had for sale. Definitely a great rear bumper! I had spoke to him about getting it but the money never lined up right. Got a hell of a build going on! Its Definitely a good looking Disco

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thought I had seen your truck before, Lucky8 reposted it the other day when you put your sliders on instagram. And it looks like you got Jessie M. rear bumper he had for sale. Definitely a great rear bumper! I had spoke to him about getting it but the money never lined up right. Got a hell of a build going on! Its Definitely a good looking Disco
You should buy CatPowrDude's old rear bumper. He is close to you and he is selling his old one for a very fair price. I couldn't come up with enough money because of shipping cost but you don't have that problem.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Yeah, I went and picked up the bumper last week. I was going to try and get it all cleaned up and installed this week, but my work schedule is not cooperating. Might have a chance next week or something.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Had some free time to get the new to me rear bumper installed as well as another inch of lift in the rear. I replaced the lights that the dark crow customs came with, with some hella value fit led light bars. Came out looking nice and much more light out put than what it came with. Soon as I get some more free time I plan on adding another inch of lift to the front and getting the extended stainless steel brake lines. It looks like the rear will have much more flex after I get and install some extended wyatts links. Also looking at getting a roof top tent probably going to get a front runner since it is one of the lightest ones on the market and a relatively low profile. Just feels like every time I have gone camping in the past few years it rains on me, just so tired of packing up a wet tent then having to go home and set it backup to dry out.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

I have now added a front runner roof top tent to the rack. I got so tired of every time I go camping it would rain. The part I hated was packing up a wet tent to only take it home and hang it out to dry to then have to re pack it. That and getting the mud off the sides of the tent when it would splash up. Hopefully this will solve those problems with a quick set up and tear down as well as being high off the ground away from dirt and mud. The tent is quite high up with it being mounted to the top of the rack. I plan on doing some wheeling in uwharrie next weekend to see if I can tell a significant difference in the new higher center of gravity. With the tent being mounted I have lost my place to mount my shovel, so the only logical thing to do is build a rear swing arm off the bumper. I plan on being able to hold my high lift jack, the spare tire, jerry can(s), shovel, and axe back there. Hopefully I can get going on that project in a few weeks if work ever slows down. I will post up some pictures when ever I get around to taking some decent ones.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I found out yesterday that the 32”s don’t fit.View attachment 86764
Is your suspension stock when you took this pic ? I added 2" spacers and still there is interference with suspension travel without trimming bottom of valence and gravel shield.

Reactions: 4xFar Adventures

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I have now added a front runner roof top tent to the rack. I got so tired of every time I go camping it would rain. The part I hated was packing up a wet tent to only take it home and hang it out to dry to then have to re pack it. That and getting the mud off the sides of the tent when it would splash up. Hopefully this will solve those problems with a quick set up and tear down as well as being high off the ground away from dirt and mud. The tent is quite high up with it being mounted to the top of the rack. I plan on doing some wheeling in uwharrie next weekend to see if I can tell a significant difference in the new higher center of gravity. With the tent being mounted I have lost my place to mount my shovel, so the only logical thing to do is build a rear swing arm off the bumper. I plan on being able to hold my high lift jack, the spare tire, jerry can(s), shovel, and axe back there. Hopefully I can get going on that project in a few weeks if work ever slows down. I will post up some pictures when ever I get around to taking some decent ones.
Do you still have a front and rear sway bars connected? You could probably remove the rears and not notice a difference, but you’ll definitely notice a difference in center of gravity changes with the front sway bar disconnected.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign