04 Land Rover Discovery NC

• HTML tutorial

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Got the new driveshaft in, what a world of difference, definitely fixed the problem. I was going to install the lift but then I found the shock mounts were delaminating. So I ordered some teraferma skeleton shock mounts. So maybe next weekend I’ll get the lift, extended brake lines and abs sensors installed

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hello, this is my thread for all the plans and current mods on my 04 discovery. My plans for the rig are being able to hop in it and go where ever I want and not have to worry much about reliability or its off road capabilities. I picked the truck up last September (2017). I was told by the seller that it had no issues and was ready to go out and enjoy. And it was for maybe 100 miles or so. The truck has the 4.6l bosch engine that are know for overheating and cylinder liner issues. Previous owner had pinned the liners to help fix the liner issue. It was pouring oil out of the pins, as well as the front main seal and the oil pan. Since September I have retapped all the pins and added in bigger stronger pins, replaced the oil pan gasket and the front seal. Engine has now developed a nice ticking noise and I plan on installing a new engine with top hat liners. This should take care of my reliability issues. The previous owner has also fabricated some front and rear steel hd bumpers. The bumpers are pretty great except the front one was not designed with a winch in mind, so it will be replaced at some point soon. As far as the off road capabilities goes, the truck has the factory center dif lock and a fully functioning traction control. I plan on adding in a rear air locker, limited slip front diff, and switching to some hd axles, as well as a hd ring and pinion. This way I can switch up to a 35" tire and not worry as much about breaking axles. Hope to see some of you all out there I go to uwharrie on a regular basis.

Mod List:
Engine
pinned 4.6l bosch engine
Cane Toad Snorkel
Rear exhaust resonator deleted for clearance
sealed factory air box

Drivetrain, Steering, and Suspension
Factory Center diff lock
Terra Ferma Hd steering bars
Terra Ferma steering dampner
2" terra ferma suspension lift kit (will be swapped out for ome 3" hd)
lucky 8 1" body lift
Extended abs sensors
extended brake lines

Off-Road Accessories
Steel Front and rear high clearance bumpers
Safety Devices Roof rack
LR Genuine rear ladder
(4) 6 led light pods mounted to roof rack ebay branded
(2) led spot lights on front bumper ebay branded
265/75/16 milestar Patagonia tires

Planned upgrades:
rock sliders
HD axles
HD ring and pinions
Rear air locker
Front limited slip diff
New front bumper with 9500lbs minimum winch
New nicer lights
Rooftop tent
New engine with flanged liners
CB radio
Fold out table on rear door
Awning mounted to roof rack
jerry cans and mounts
Hi lift jack
3" ome hd lift kit
35" tires
new seats
vinyl wrap
rear work lamp
side work lamps
Question, why don't you just add a 2" spacer kit to your existing springs. For 35" tires you will need a longer front drive shaft, longer brake lines and possibly more. Do you watch Brummy Prepper video's ? I really like your bumpers (both) and planning to have mine built by a local welder using my own design. Would like to see a close up of your bumper mounting points showing the bracketry if you can ever get around to it. Will you build your own rock sliders ? That would be a nice addition to your picture file as an how too thing. Good luck with all your plans mine are not quite so extensive, but then I wont be going to places you are probably going. This Lanlubber loves his 2000 LRD2too !!

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Question, why don't you just add a 2" spacer kit to your existing springs. For 35" tires you will need a longer front drive shaft, longer brake lines and possibly more. Do you watch Brummy Prepper video's ? I really like your bumpers (both) and planning to have mine built by a local welder using my own design. Would like to see a close up of your bumper mounting points showing the bracketry if you can ever get around to it. Will you build your own rock sliders ? That would be a nice addition to your picture file as an how too thing. Good luck with all your plans mine are not quite so extensive, but then I wont be going to places you are probably going. This Lanlubber loves his 2000 LRD2too !!
I actually have a Tom Woods driveshaft installed, as well as extended brake lines and abs sensors. I need to install my new OME 3” lift springs and Fox shocks. But at some point I will either go get some sliders made or just buy a set. I’m will add some spring spacers if the new springs and shocks are not enough lift. And no I’ve never heard of those videos I’ll have to look them up when I get a chance.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

IMG_3662.JPG
The final part of the lift is here! Install will be soon...ish
I did manage to get the swaybar quick disconnects installed yesterday and man what a difference in handling. It has way less body roll, I didn’t realize how shot the factory ones were. Think I may buy another set and put them on the rear. Feel like things are coming together nicely on this old rover. If money doesn’t end up going into one of my Subaru’s soon I may try and get some arb air lockers for this thing.IMG_3653.JPG
IMG_3654.JPG

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Got off work at a decent hour yesterday so I had a little bit of time to mount some lights on the rear bumper, I will finally have some reverse lights/ lower work lights. The previous owner had removed them when he built the bumper, and it has gotten me into a bind a few times trying to back up in the dark. So if I can get work wrapped up at a decent hour today I will go home and wire them up as well as the roof mounted work light. IMG_3683.JPGIMG_3684.JPGIMG_3682.JPG

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

I think I may have passed you on my way home from Uwharrie yesterday. If so, have fun man.
Yeah? I’m out here now. My dang crankshaft position sensor failed out here and left me stranded on Dutch Jon. Got it back started this morning and made it back to the camp site. Went to go replace the sensor and go figure one of the bolts rounded off. So I’m hoping I can limp it home tomorrow...

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

What a trip that was. I was able to get the truck backed down the trail with no power brakes or steering in the dark at 2am. Had a friend run me to a parts store that had the new sensor in stock. Bought the sensor and the 7&8mm wrenches that we’re required to do the job. Got back to uwharrie where the vehicle was located. It fired right up, so my friend and I got in and drove it straight up the obstacle. Once back at camp I attempted to remove the crank position sensor. One of the bolts began to round off. The wrench as $6 so I don’t know what I was expecting. So I gave up. Went riding around in friends rigs and was spotting everyone on the obstacles. A massive down pour came right before the final tough hill climb to get back to camp. This made progress slow with lots of work. We all finally made it back to camp. I realized my hammock was wet. The rain had managed to get under the rain fly. So I decided I would pitch my tent. Meanwhile I was feeling worse and worse. My throat was sore, voice was completely gone and was really congested. I decided after I pitched my tent that I was gonna head home. Packed up and made it maybe 4 miles before the engine shut down due to the ckp being bad. Luckily someone stopped to ask if I was ok, I was kinda lost and my voice was gone but he reassured me I was headed the right way. Once the truck cooled down (20min) I was able to get it to start. Made it out of the woods and onto main roads. Then it died again at this point it was 11:00pm. I felt terrible and I had no cell service. But I had been in contact with my friend who said he would pack up and come follow me home, he as about and hour behind me. The rain started in again and my buddy found me on the side of a road. He was able to call me a tow truck to get me home. Made it home by 1am. Never had I encounter this much drama and problems on a trip. But as a whole I learned a lot. I’m glad I was not alone. Never go off with out my 1/4” drive snap on sockets, and always carry a spare crank position sensor and cam position sensor. Once I got home and rested for a day I got the new sensor installed in less than 15 min, if I had my good tools with me it would have saved me a headache and $200 tow. Glad this trip is over and in the books now.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Ordered a some sliders today and accidentally bought a new rear bumper too. When ever I get some free time I’ll mount them up and post a few pictures. Kinda taking the hot summer season off from camping and wheeling.

Reactions: OvrRovR

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I actually have a Tom Woods driveshaft installed, as well as extended brake lines and abs sensors. I need to install my new OME 3” lift springs and Fox shocks. But at some point I will either go get some sliders made or just buy a set. I’m will add some spring spacers if the new springs and shocks are not enough lift. And no I’ve never heard of those videos I’ll have to look them up when I get a chance.
Your rig is much nicer than Brummy Peppers rig, way nicer !
Well I was able to get done with my real job today at a reasonable time, so I came home and dug into the rover. I installed the springs shocks and new shock towers, it rides pretty decent unloaded, but I’m hoping the real difference is when it’s loaded down for a trip. View attachment 91529View attachment 91531View attachment 91532View attachment 91533
Simply awesome build, my dream too.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
What a trip that was. I was able to get the truck backed down the trail with no power brakes or steering in the dark at 2am. Had a friend run me to a parts store that had the new sensor in stock. Bought the sensor and the 7&8mm wrenches that we’re required to do the job. Got back to uwharrie where the vehicle was located. It fired right up, so my friend and I got in and drove it straight up the obstacle. Once back at camp I attempted to remove the crank position sensor. One of the bolts began to round off. The wrench as $6 so I don’t know what I was expecting. So I gave up. Went riding around in friends rigs and was spotting everyone on the obstacles. A massive down pour came right before the final tough hill climb to get back to camp. This made progress slow with lots of work. We all finally made it back to camp. I realized my hammock was wet. The rain had managed to get under the rain fly. So I decided I would pitch my tent. Meanwhile I was feeling worse and worse. My throat was sore, voice was completely gone and was really congested. I decided after I pitched my tent that I was gonna head home. Packed up and made it maybe 4 miles before the engine shut down due to the ckp being bad. Luckily someone stopped to ask if I was ok, I was kinda lost and my voice was gone but he reassured me I was headed the right way. Once the truck cooled down (20min) I was able to get it to start. Made it out of the woods and onto main roads. Then it died again at this point it was 11:00pm. I felt terrible and I had no cell service. But I had been in contact with my friend who said he would pack up and come follow me home, he as about and hour behind me. The rain started in again and my buddy found me on the side of a road. He was able to call me a tow truck to get me home. Made it home by 1am. Never had I encounter this much drama and problems on a trip. But as a whole I learned a lot. I’m glad I was not alone. Never go off with out my 1/4” drive snap on sockets, and always carry a spare crank position sensor and cam position sensor. Once I got home and rested for a day I got the new sensor installed in less than 15 min, if I had my good tools with me it would have saved me a headache and $200 tow. Glad this trip is over and in the books now.
Really sorry you had all these problems. How did you know that those sensors were the problem. What is a ckp ? I don't think I could handle that kind of problems, especially if I don't even know what they are. I hate electronics anyway and if I have any I'm dead in the road. Your story makes me think I better stay close to home in my LRD2. My nearest LRD mechanic is 120 miles away.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ordered a some sliders today and accidentally bought a new rear bumper too. When ever I get some free time I’ll mount them up and post a few pictures. Kinda taking the hot summer season off from camping and wheeling.
Which bumper are you replacing ? Do you want to sell your old bumper ? I'd be in the market for one.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I missed you saying the rear bumper. I like what you have and would like to buy it if I can.

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Really sorry you had all these problems. How did you know that those sensors were the problem. What is a ckp ? I don't think I could handle that kind of problems, especially if I don't even know what they are. I hate electronics anyway and if I have any I'm dead in the road. Your story makes me think I better stay close to home in my LRD2. My nearest LRD mechanic is 120 miles away.
Well I went to school for this kinda work more or less. I currently work for caterpillar as a electric power generation field tech. I’ve been turning wrenches for a living for about 6 years now. So I’m not exactly unfamiliar with engines and trouble shooting advanced electronic systems. Also it threw a code so I was able to see that the ckp (crankshaft position sensor) was not working properly. That and the way it was acting made sense that the ckp was not giving any readings. The Land Rover is a fairly simple setup, don’t be intimidated by it. If I had my nicer tools with me I could have fixed it on the trial in about 15 min and no longer had that problem. As far as the rear bumper goes you’re more than welcome to it. From the looks of your profile you’re in New Mexico? I live in North Carolina, so getting it to you could be quite costly.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Well I went to school for this kinda work more or less. I currently work for caterpillar as a electric power generation field tech. I’ve been turning wrenches for a living for about 6 years now. So I’m not exactly unfamiliar with engines and trouble shooting advanced electronic systems. Also it threw a code so I was able to see that the ckp (crankshaft position sensor) was not working properly. That and the way it was acting made sense that the ckp was not giving any readings. The Land Rover is a fairly simple setup, don’t be intimidated by it. If I had my nicer tools with me I could have fixed it on the trial in about 15 min and no longer had that problem. As far as the rear bumper goes you’re more than welcome to it. From the looks of your profile you’re in New Mexico? I live in North Carolina, so getting it to you could be quite costly.
Thank you for all the good answers to my questions. You certainly have the expertise to diagnose the symptoms. Ground shipping is fairly inexpensive for items like bumpers and tires. If I bought one from anywhere I would have to pay for shipping. My zip is 88049, if you could get me a price I will PayPal you the money if that would be acceptable to you. Question, Didn't you just add some back up lights to the bumper ? What made you decide to buy another bumper if I may ask ? Is it an aftermarket bumper of was it hand made by the previous owner ?From the pictures you posted the bumper is almost exactly like the bumper I was going to build including the wrap around protection on the sides. I wish I could see a good frontal picture of your front bumper as It also looks like the same design as I plan to build. Let me know what you think.. Thanks again, Lanlubber Jim

CatPowerDude

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Concord, NC
Member #

Thank you for all the good answers to my questions. You certainly have the expertise to diagnose the symptoms. Ground shipping is fairly inexpensive for items like bumpers and tires. If I bought one from anywhere I would have to pay for shipping. My zip is 88049, if you could get me a price I will PayPal you the money if that would be acceptable to you. Question, Didn't you just add some back up lights to the bumper ? What made you decide to buy another bumper if I may ask ? Is it an aftermarket bumper of was it hand made by the previous owner ?From the pictures you posted the bumper is almost exactly like the bumper I was going to build including the wrap around protection on the sides. I wish I could see a good frontal picture of your front bumper as It also looks like the same design as I plan to build. Let me know what you think.. Thanks again, Lanlubber Jim
Yes I did just add some hella valuefit rear mounted bumper lights. The last owner of my truck built the front and rear bumpers. The new bumper that I bought has rear recovery points built in, side mounted tree protectors, and deletes the rear trim pieces that I’m always worried are going to fall off. Nothing wrong with my current rear bumper I just wanted something different and what I wanted happened to pop up for sale locally. Any suggestions as how or who could ship such a large piece out to you? IMG_3860.JPG

IMG_3718.JPGIMG_3562.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yes I did just add some hella valuefit rear mounted bumper lights. The last owner of my truck built the front and rear bumpers. The new bumper that I bought has rear recovery points built in, side mounted tree protectors, and deletes the rear trim pieces that I’m always worried are going to fall off. Nothing wrong with my current rear bumper I just wanted something different and what I wanted happened to pop up for sale locally. Any suggestions as how or who could ship such a large piece out to you? View attachment 104390

View attachment 104391View attachment 104392
I think ups or fedex will pick it up and ship it.
A telephone call should answer your question.
How much do you want for the bumper ? If I can't afford it the shipping question is mute.
I like your new bumper too. Will you do the work yourself on the swap out of bumpers ?
Your old bumper will suite my needs fine..